Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tight seal on top (outside edge) of slider window
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: tight seal on top (outside edge) of slider window Reply with quote

The top of the front door in my 1965 13 window bus has a seal that contacts the door frame. It is the seal that slides into the slot around the top edge of the slider window. It is a West Coast Metric product. The old seal was in need of replacement. It was a good fit causing no problems but it looked old. I only changed the passenger side. I still have the one to change the drivers side.

I got a new one install with no problem. When I close the door now, it is too tight. The door hangs up so much that you have to push hard on the door to get it open. I thought that maybe the rubber would take shape after a few days so the door would open freely. Well I was wrong. I am contemplating a correction and would like to get your advice. What do you do in this kind of situation?
Thanks for your advice,
Dave in Monterey, California
Lasse Mix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: tight seal on top (outside edge) of slider window Reply with quote

Hi Dave
I had the same trouble when i restored my bus. for me it took a year or so before the rubber took shape by the sun and the heat. But i live in Sweden so the temperatures in the summer is not even close to yours in CA.
My Advice - let time cure your problem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: tight seal on top (outside edge) of slider window Reply with quote

Hi Dave,try some silicon spray on the rubber, it works!
JP
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: tight seal on top (outside edge) of slider window Reply with quote

My bus does the same! It is so tight that I have to close the door by opening the slider window and yanking on the door frame. If I pulled on the door handle, I'm sure it would break off after 5 or 10 door openings. Anyway, I'll try the silicone spray suggestion and see if it helps, Thanks, Jpmannu
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: tight seal on top (outside edge) of slider window Reply with quote

The weird thing about this is that on my bus, only the driver side door is tight, the passenger side behaves normally...go figure...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: tight seal on top (outside edge) of slider window Reply with quote

i cant remember who said it but they said to use baby powder on the seal, i was having the same problem you are so i tried it and i'll be dammed if it didn't work like a champ
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: