Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Powerflex gearbox bushings?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malibu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mount comes in two different sizes. The early 1.9 small and then everything else big one. I had a 1.9 mount but got a 2.1 mount and put in the poly bushing. The old bushing comes out of the piece of pipe.

Last edited by malibu on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
pigryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had this bushing mounted on Stink (1.6NA) and absolutely love the difference in made in my van. I travel off road a lot, and the low gearing really put a lot of flex in my driveline while shifting or pulling away from a stop. This bushing really tightens everything up, a very good purchase indeed. I highly recommend this inexpensive upgrade.
1988 Cabriolet diesel
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on putting the powerflex front trans bushing in today. Can't seem to find the torque spec for the forward trans mount bolt. Anyone know that?

Also, I think I found the bracket to body bolt (4 of 'em) spec at 18ft/lbs--seems a little low?

Thanks wrenches. . .
DubDzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm I'll be doing this at some point.... but all the work will have to be done under the van seeing how the transmission mounts bolts tighten up to internal body nuts that gave way on me. so now they do nothing but swivel on me and i had to cut the bolts off and use some construction wedge anchor bolts. now that sucker wont be coming off for a long time
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Installing one on a DV mount soon. Where do you add grease for this? around the the attached two and before in the metal bracket?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

I have been using these since 2013. No issues till today. Got these from US through my niece. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A thin coating of engine Additive for the shaft before fitting.
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

do these fit the aircooled mount? all i see is diesel, 1.9 and 2.1 all i found is that 251399201E and K can be found on the entire line of 2WD vans. im assuming the only difference is small or large hole. However, Gowesty makes and adapter to fit WBX trainies in the aircooled van so i gotta ask. my 83 AFC started thumping in 1st when the clutch is released moderately quick and the first thing i found here as possible culprit was the nose mount (engine mounts have less than 15K on them).

mine looks like the smaller of the two compared to the pics on the previous page:

here is what i found at powerflexUSA:

PFR85-1015 fits all petrol models except automatic and 2.1 petrol engines.

PFR85-1016 fits all diesel models, all automatic gearbox and 2.1 petrol engined models.

comparing prices from different outlets i take it that -1015 is 59mm and -1016 is 74mm.
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

got mine from T3technique as the shipping method was the least expensive and fastest. the package was delivered the weekend before last two days after placing the order. these are the updated bushings with hollow cut outs. upon install no more thumps in 1st and 2nd, less noise when shifting and way easier to locate them gears. thumbs up all around. removing the old bushing was tricky, but with enough persistence it finally popped out, just like in the OP. thumbs up all around.
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Just installed the the bushing too. the hardest part was getting the old bushing out. Started with Chris's method at first but got tired. So i drilled two holes through the rubber and hack two section of the metal bushing then chisel the cut section out. Took about an hr with 45min of time spend on removing the old bushing. I have to said i couldn't tell the difference but the PO filled the holes of the old bushing with some of sort of hard silicon caulking, that might be the reason why i don't feel the difference. Overall pretty easy if you have all the tools for it and i didnt need to jack up the van.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SeacoastRed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

I did mine this weekend. I used the hacksaw followed by chisel method. I didn't end up sawing through the thickness of the entire inner ring, just part of it, and I used a 1/4 inch wood chisel to partially separate the inner ring from the outer ring. After that, I used a nail set and tapped all around the inner ring and it separated fairly easily from the mount, without the need for penetrating oil. Looking forward to getting this in the van and smoothing out the lurches when I get on and off the gas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

SeacoastRed wrote:
I did mine this weekend. I used the hacksaw followed by chisel method. I didn't end up sawing through the thickness of the entire inner ring, just part of it, and I used a 1/4 inch wood chisel to partially separate the inner ring from the outer ring. After that, I used a nail set and tapped all around the inner ring and it separated fairly easily from the mount, without the need for penetrating oil. Looking forward to getting this in the van and smoothing out the lurches when I get on and off the gas.

Any driving impressions? I just ordered mine Friday and will tackle this weekend!
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

the biggest difference i noticed was that the shift lever is more stable when shifting, doesn't lurch about.

i put it in at the same time as i rebuilt my trans. re-reading this thread, i see some comments about somewhat increased noise.... so just today i'm going "Ohhh....." as i've had somewhat higher noise since my rebuild and blamed something i'd missed in the process. mebbe not, eh?

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Anyone have specs on the four bolts that hold the mount to body? I'm taking a conservative approach and installing new hardware for the mount, but surprisingly T3 doesn't list a trans mount hardware kit similar to their steering rack kit...so I've found the bushing bolt from other posts is M10x100. Any specs on those other smaller ones? Would you recommend zinc or stainless steel?
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

The bolts are M8x22, part number #N  01024118. The washers are N  0154013. I would get some hardened 10.9 zinc coated ones or just factory replacements. Stainless steel bolts, while nice looking and corrosion resistant, are actually pretty soft and shouldn't really be used in applications like these.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:
The bolts are M8x22, part number #N  01024118. The washers are N  0154013. I would get some hardened 10.9 zinc coated ones or just factory replacements. Stainless steel bolts, while nice looking and corrosion resistant, are actually pretty soft and shouldn't really be used in applications like these.

Sweet thanks for the guidance!
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

You bet! This site is great for looking up parts/assemblies.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/vanagon/va/1987-65/
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

I don’t know how you guys did it. I decided for 30 bucks it was worth buying a new mount as the donor. I’ve been pounding on it for two nights and have only managed to mutilate the shit out of it. Wtf?? I’m glad I did buy one to experiment on but maybe the new metal is working against me?
At this point I’m ready to call it. And I researched a diy bushing tool using a threaded rod but I see that won’t work as there’s no space or lip for the pipe to fit on.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

you’re half way there!! get a bigger hammer and a bigger punch and keep folding that inner ring. at some point it’ll release

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Looks like you're close!

It appears as if your inner sleeve is seized to the outer sleeve. After cutting all the way through the inner sleeve, try working your way around the circumference with a chisel or old screwdriver and hammer to separate the two, then pound the entire inner sleeve assembly out of the outer sleeve.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

How are you holding on to the mount while you're hammering it? You most certainly need a solid vise/bench in order to deliver any force into the sleeve. That, or you could be civilized and use a press. I went for the medevil approach and got after mine with a 3lb mini sledge and a large cold chisel. It took a good 45 minutes of wailing on it...a classic 5 minute job.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: