Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Powerflex gearbox bushings?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

I cut off the ears on each side and have it set pointed up on a piece of 4x4 and am using a 2lb mini sledge and old screw driver and chisel. It does feel like the wood block underneath isn’t allowing the force to do its thing. I’ll go back tomorrow and cut another section with the saw and see it it helps.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

I have this new bushing on my bench but am getting concerned by the troubles some are having. Wondering if you could just take the assembly to a suspension/brake/alignment shop and ask them to press out the old bushing sleeve. You'd need something to match the bushing sleeve diameter though.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Slimvest wrote:
I have this new bushing on my bench but am getting concerned by the troubles some are having. Wondering if you could just take the assembly to a suspension/brake/alignment shop and ask them to press out the old bushing sleeve. You'd need something to match the bushing sleeve diameter though.

Given how much I've banged up and marred my mount, I'd suggest spending a few bucks $30, for a new mount to bang on. Then, if it doesn't work out, you're OE mount is still in place and you haven't torn it apart. I bought mine from Burley and as you've seen, pretty beaten and mangled but, after more encouragement, I was finally able to get a section separated.

My tip is to really make sure you first use a saw and ensure you've cut all the way through the inner ring. Then use a heavy flathead to gain some initial separation between the lips.

I've not yet tried to take the step two of actually getting the bush out of the body. That's a whole nother issue. A bushing tool would need a really really thin sleeve it seems.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A couple of important points:
1. The cut should go completely through the inner sleeve, across its entire length, to allow it to fully collapse.
2. When driving your chisel between the inner and outer sleeves, do so only on ONE side of the cut, so the inner sleeve is able to 'curl' upon itself and collapse. If you drive the chisel on BOTH sides of the cut, the cut edges can jam against one another even while being deformed, thereby preventing a thorough collapse and easy removal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SeacoastRed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Vnyd Dog, I think if you take a hammer with a screwdriver or a nail set or some other such tool and then start tapping away on the inner ring, moving the nail set to a new location every few taps, you’ll get that inner ring to start moving and then you will be home free. You’ve done the hard work. I held my bracket itself in an old hobby vice, nothing too fancy. Maybe you can use a clamp or something like that if you don’t have a vice.

As far as cutting through all the way, I was having trouble doing that- hacksaw blade was too tired I think. I gave up on the cutting and switched to tapping and it worked great. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

It took some cutting and tapping the bushings in. Here is what I had left.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

This was the final product after paint. I think you should just pull your original
mount and install it into that one.

Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement all. I stuck with it this evening and finally got it to budge!! Frick. Anyway, more details in my thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8992755#8992755

uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Way to see it through to the end! Isn't it comical how easy the new bushing goes in after the fight to get the old one out?!
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

BillM wrote:
This was the final product after paint. I think you should just pull your original
mount and install it into that one.

is that your mount or a stock pic? how is the noise? I have had experience with the solid design bieing oud and happy that the updated design with the slots became available.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Just installed this on my 90 multivan. As others have said, Shifting is much smoother and throttle in/out on decel is buttery. No noticeable increase in noise. Highly recommend. Wish they were available for bay windows....
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

2.1L 2WD manual transmission mount pass forward offer

Vnyd Dog was kind enough to send me his spare 2.1L 2WD manual transmission mount left over from his Powerflex upgrade discussed earlier in this thread to use as a donor for my Powerflex install. Now that I’m done upgrading mine, I would like to pass forward my old 2.1L transmission mount (for the cost of shipping) to first person to respond to this thread asking for it. The expectation is that when you are done, you will pass your old mount on to another list member in a similar manner.

A donor mount is not required for this job. It is a convenience that allows your van to be kept on the road while the old bushing is being removed from the donor mount and the mount is being cleaned, painted and prepped to go back in with the upgraded bushing.

This mount is for a 2.1L 2WD manual transmission and may not be compatible with other models (syncro, 1.9L, diesel, automatic, etc). If you take part in this pass forward, please don't send the next person a smaller 1.9L mount.

Removal & Installation

I didn’t have the troubles Vnyd Dog experienced removing the bushing from the donor mount. I used Jeffrey Lee's approach first learned decades ago replacing Volvo 240 main swingarm bushings in situ. I don’t currently have a vice or a press, so I clamped the mount to my bumper hitch, drilled a bunch of holes through the old bushing rubber to soften it up and used a sawsall with a metal cutting blade to cut out the rubber portion of the old bushing. Then I carefully made two cuts through the outer metal shell of the old bushing and easily removed the shell from the donor mount. If you don't feel like doing this, you can take it somewhere and have the old bushing pressed out.

Actually removing and reinstalling the mount itself is very easy, 15 minutes if you are fast, a bit longer if you are not.

My old mount ready to come out. A floor jack supporting the transmission, remove the 17mm nut+bolt horizontal through the bushing and four 13mm bolts vertical into the beam.

The donor mount painted and installed with the upgraded bushing. CAUTION: Do not overtighten the 4 vertical 13mm bolts that hold the mount to the body because the captured nuts welded up inside the beam can be broken loose. I was not able to locate these torque specs in the Bentley, so I used 20 ft-pounds for the 4 13mm bolts and 44 ft-pounds for the big bolt though the center of the bushing (from this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=286874).

My old mount in the shipping mail box ready to be sent on to the next person to use as a donor.

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Great idea!
I'm in!
And will, of course, make the old one available for the next guy.
PM being sent with info if I am the first.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Great idea!
I'm in!
And will, of course, make the old one available for the next guy.
PM being sent with info if I am the first.

Yes, you are first. I'll follow up via PM.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Brilliant idea on the exchange.
Levi PM sent.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

I’m glad the pass it on continues!! This was a great mod. Can’t believe I hadn’t payed attention to it. Excellent write-up as always L! I know my troubles were down to removing a brand new bushing and having failed to get my initial saw cut all the way across the inner sleeve! But hey, happy to see others being helped!
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

so curious....are the removed donors being send with the old bushing removed by the sender or for the receiver to remove?

I can see benefits both ways....I'd fall on the side of removing it myself so I know what happened to the mount in the removal...and I believe there is more motivation to remove it when you get it rather than after you have the new one in...would allow for faster shipping.

ps, don't need to get in line, already changed mine and its and awesome upgrade.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

The pass-forward transmission mount is on it's way to Levi, he's the next point of contact.

Vanis14: It'll be up to the recipient to remove the bushing.

Vnyd Dog, I forgot that you were working with a new bushing. Yeah, that fresh rubber would be a lot harder to remove than 30-year dried out rubber.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

It's actually available to anyone who wants it, pretty much now.
I won't be able to use it, so as soon as it arrives it's ready for the next guy.
Anyone?
Bueller?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

So I just purchased a new gearbox mount from Vancafe and I noticed it’s a little crooked. I do see that there are holes for adjusting the mount. Is this normal?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: