Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Powerflex gearbox bushings?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xclemjustinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Installed a new gearbox mount and new powerflex bushings today. I can say it’s a noticeable difference when I shift and when I put it in drive from reverse. I am very happy with the upgrade. I stripped down the new mount and used dura coat for the paint. Dura coat is a finish like cerakote for guns. It’s water proof and chip resistant. We will see how it goes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Looks like a clean install!

I think you'll appreciate the tighter shifting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Finally installed mine. I guess shifting 1st to 2nd is pretty smooth, but not blown away. Incremental gains...maybe i need to drive a busted old van to remember how good I have it.

Fun variable: supported the trans with a hydraulic jack, pulled the bracket and took it to a shop that pressed the old bushing out. Got home and the jack had lost pressure and my transaxle is hanging in the wind. Rolling Eyes
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scobax wrote:
Thanks for another useful writeup Chris!

Take your hacksaw apart and put the blade through one of the holes in the rubber part of the mount with the teeth facing the metal sleeve portion of the mount. If your mount doesn't have holes clear through, you can always drill one.

Reconnect the blade to your saw "backwards", that is teeth "in" towards the saw frame and gently cut through the metal sleeve part of the old mount being careful not to go too far through and into the housing. In most cases you don't actually have to cut all the way through, once you have cut most of the way through the sleeve they tend to become much more agreeable. Take your hacksaw out and proceed with the chisel as Chris demonstrates above.

This method helps take some of the tension off of the old mount and will make it a bit easier to remove the old mount and lessens the possibility of damaging the housing or knocking it out of round.

BRILLIANT! It came out in about 10 minutes. So thankful for the hacksaw advice!
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Thats how I got mine out too, hacksaw. Works great
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gosshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Used a hacksaw to cut the bushings casing. I did have to cut the rubber surrounding the center bolt receiver to release outward pressure. Then I tapped a few times with a hammer and the bushing popped right out.

Replacing the bushing has solved a few problems and since the bushing was so old and already worn when I purchased the van, I can't tell if the bushing transfers extra noise when compared to an OEM bushing.

All I know is the van shifts better, seems to have less vibration, and bumps are not accompanied by the same thud.

I am extremely happy and will continue to use the powerflex bushings as I go through and replace all the almost 40 year old bushings on my van.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

They definitely do transfer extra noise and vibration. But the ease of installation and extra stability make it an easy decision to make.
binsento
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris i noticed the spacers above the mount. Do all automatic trans require the spacers between the bracket and the van frame? and is it just when using an aftermarket mount?

https://www.buslab.com/product-p/251399247.htm

Thanks,

Vince

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Ultimately, after a few months of evaluating things, I decided to remove the solid urethane forward bushing and replace it with a new aftermarket rubber mount (I believe it is an FEQ brand). There was just too much NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) for my liking. The aftermarket mount decreased the unwanted NVH compared to the solid urethane mount, but at the cost allowing the nose of the gearbox to move up and down too much, but also allowing the engine/gearbox to move forward/backward by quite a lot. In addition, after having the aftermarket mount in place for a few months, it has already split about 50% of the way through between the bridge and the outer shell.

Luckily, Powerflex has worked through a new design that supposedly reduced the NVH significantly over their original solid version. I installed one of these updated units a few months ago and I'm am pretty happy with it. Compared to the aftermarket rubber version, I noticed absolutely zero increase in NVH with this new Powerflex design. There is still a small amount of engine/gearbox movement, but it is quite a bit less than with the aftermarket rubber mount and MUCH less that the original OE mount. This new version will be staying in my van long term.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

binsento wrote:
Chris i noticed the spacers above the mount. Do all automatic trans require the spacers between the bracket and the van frame? and is it just when using an aftermarket mount?

https://www.buslab.com/product-p/251399247.htm

Thanks,

Vince

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Ultimately, after a few months of evaluating things, I decided to remove the solid urethane forward bushing and replace it with a new aftermarket rubber mount (I believe it is an FEQ brand). There was just too much NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) for my liking. The aftermarket mount decreased the unwanted NVH compared to the solid urethane mount, but at the cost allowing the nose of the gearbox to move up and down too much, but also allowing the engine/gearbox to move forward/backward by quite a lot. In addition, after having the aftermarket mount in place for a few months, it has already split about 50% of the way through between the bridge and the outer shell.

Luckily, Powerflex has worked through a new design that supposedly reduced the NVH significantly over their original solid version. I installed one of these updated units a few months ago and I'm am pretty happy with it. Compared to the aftermarket rubber version, I noticed absolutely zero increase in NVH with this new Powerflex design. There is still a small amount of engine/gearbox movement, but it is quite a bit less than with the aftermarket rubber mount and MUCH less that the original OE mount. This new version will be staying in my van long term.

He probably has a different engine than stock calling for these spacers, stock set up doesn`t have any.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Has Chris or anyone else done a tutorial/write-up on removing and installing the Powerflex bushings in a syncro, rear and front?
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
Has Chris or anyone else done a tutorial/write-up on removing and installing the Powerflex bushings in a syncro, rear and front?

Search YouTube for "James Akers" or Powerflex Vanagon Install, a great series of videos with many bushings covered. VW Logo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:

It's pretty straightforward. I would make sure to have a whole set of new hardware. I broke most of the thru bolts on the mounts, and my van is not rusty underneath.

I did the front mount on the front diff first, then both of the rear mounts on the front diff.

For the transaxle, I supported the trans with a floor jack and disconnected both mounts at once. Not ideal, but it was the only way I could get the old ones out. They're probably the hardest part, but they were not very hard to change. you have easy access to all bolts without moving too much stuff.

Just dive in, be careful, make sure the plastic spacers are indexed correctly, and have fun. it's not a hard job, nothing tricky about it.
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I've already done all the steering and suspension bushings, including the rear trailing arms. The transaxle and front differential are the only ones left. I couldn't find these on Youtube, but it sounds doable with the usual problems of removal of 30 year old bolts. Luckily I have no rust, so it shouldn't be that bad. Thanks again. I'll post a tutorial when I do it this spring.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
binsento
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Thanks ALIKA T3.

I recently replaced my font mount (which doesn't look to be original) with a Gowesty mount of the same size. The new mount caused some serious vibrations when accelerating from stop. Put the old mount back in and no vibrations.

The old mount is worn through the rubber at top and as a result the support point is sagging down ~7-8mm compared to the new mount.

So the new mount is changing the elevation of the transaxle by this 7-8mm.

Is the vibration caused by it now touching something else or some sort of misalignment with engine...?

The Subaru conversion was done two years ago by PO - presumably back when the mount was in good condition.

85 2wd. Subi engine original transaxle.

binsento
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

I followed the instructions on this thread. Worked really well!!
I removed the rubber from a new GW mount quite easily. Started with a hole saw to get majority of the rubber out of the way, then hack saw, and then a series of flat head screw drivers.

Powerflex is installed. feels amazing. Fixed the vibrations i was having with the new GW mount.
ggoudas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

My new bushing will arrive soon and I was thinking, Idea (I know) has anyone tried removing this with an air tool? I have an older tool that was for taking the inner or outer exhaust pipe off by hammering and ripping the metal in two. I wonder if the material is to thick and that is why no one has used it.
Djking360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Any recommendations on hacksaw blade type? I’m guessing the toughest possible? I spent a few hours chilling to before thinking there must be an easier ways.

Cheers
Daniel
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

I just use whatever blade I have. It’s mild steel that isn’t hardened, so nothing too fancy is needed.

The easiest way is to just press it out on a bearing press. That’s how I usually change bushings. But if you don’t have a press, a hacksaw and chisel are really not difficult either.
Djking360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Mission accomplished but I’ve hit another hurdle…

Djking360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Powerflex gearbox bushings? Reply with quote

Got the power in but it’s doesn’t fit my auto end piece now.

I’m very confused because I have an 88’ auto and bought for that type

The whole alignment is off

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: