Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's this Ghia part and Where does it go?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I believe that's the chrome trim of the B-Pillar. I think it screws (2 screws) to the side rear window. (which has a post with 2 "inserts" for accepting the screws).

Or at least that's how I remember the late coupe's being, I last saw mine 3 years ago Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

/\
Correct, chrome pillar trim from in front of the pop-outs.
d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I came across this part in my many boxes, and have since identified it as a Fuel Gauge Stabilizer

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As I am wiring my Ghia, I don't see this on any of the schematics. Looking at the attachment piece, I believe it mounts on one of the dash stabilizer posts, perhaps alongside the Flasher Relay?

But how or where do I wire it inline? Does the wire from the fuel gauge plug into this, and then I connect another wire to the point on the gas gauge where the sending unit wire goes? Do I need this or not?

If anyone has a pic or schematic showing how it wires inline, please post.
Thanks, Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I have no picture, but the mounting screw "slot" is mounted to the screw on the back side of the speedo, and the female spade terminal slides onto the fuel gauge male terminal.

Make visual sense?

Found a YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5LuIpnF_AQ

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thank you Sir, Visually, Yes I understand. I just don't see how it will reach from the speedo to the gauge. I'm away from home for the weekend, but will check the fit when I get home. Thanks again.
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
neon_guru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Hi all I’ve just purchased my first KG and are spending some time getting to know it. It’s a 71 year and I need to know what this part is please. Top left of engine bay
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

neon_guru wrote:
Hi all I’ve just purchased my first KG and are spending some time getting to know it. It’s a 71 year and I need to know what this part is please. Top left of engine bay

Altitude Compensator...not needed: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8479601#8479601
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neon_guru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Many thanks for you reply. So this can be stripped out if wanted.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

neon_guru wrote:
Many thanks for you reply. So this can be stripped out if wanted.

Yep. If you drove around on the summit of Ben Nevis you still wouldn't need it. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tomiko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Been looking around for function , name, and how to connect thus mystery.
It is above the transmission and similar on both sides. I keep suspecting it has to do with heat.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thank you.
smuenchrath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

That is a webasto gas heater - used between 68-69 if i am not mistaken.

Here is the instruction manual:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/wabasto/wabstoheatermanual.pdf
Tomiko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the info and saving me some time investigating.
bruehoyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I think this is an aftermarket starter solenoid relay maybe from a mustang. Do I need it in my 71 ghia coupe auto stick? If not, how do I eliminate or better -go back to what should be there. I think it is supposed to have a neutral cut off switch. PS this car won't start.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Didn't want to start another thread so checking here. I pulled out my door glass from the boxes and noticed the lift channels (?) had these little wheels attached to them. First time I have seen these, I thought it was just the channel, as I have another cleaned plated set.

I don't see the purpose of these wheels as they don't appear to roll against anything inside the doors. Should I just go ahead and swap these out for the other lift channels I have?

Does this glass look correct for a Ghia convertible? They seemed a bit wonky when I did a pre-fit in the door.
Jeff

bruehoyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Convertible glass is different than coupe (rear upper part curved).
But that one has a different shape lower front. I have no idea wha the roller thing is.
Unless it is for an early ghia that I am not familiar with, I would say it is the wrong glass. I know that from 67 to 74 the front of the glass is different. I have not torn apart earlier Ghias

Here is someones classified for teh right glass.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1995798

rbsurfguy wrote:
Didn't want to start another thread so checking here. I pulled out my door glass from the boxes and noticed the lift channels (?) had these little wheels attached to them. First time I have seen these, I thought it was just the channel, as I have another cleaned plated set.

I don't see the purpose of these wheels as they don't appear to roll against anything inside the doors. Should I just go ahead and swap these out for the other lift channels I have?

Does this glass look correct for a Ghia convertible? They seemed a bit wonky when I did a pre-fit in the door.
Jeff
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thank you Sir. Looking at the pic you linked to, it does appear I have the wrong glass for a 71 convertible. It's definitely missing that angled lower section at the bottom front. Maybe for a type 3? Now it makes sense why it didn't fit that well when I mocked it up. Looks like I need to go back to the restoration shop and have them give me the right pieces. They better have my original glass or a decent replacement or someone's going to have problems.
Jeff

aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

58-59 cabrio door glass, rare glass!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

aerosilver wrote:
58-59 cabrio door glass, rare glass!

Can you be sure about that? If so, then I should save them for a buyer that may need for a restoration, as opposed to trading them back for my proper year.

Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

That is early Ghia cabriolet door glass Shocked Very hard to find! The roller was discontinued some time in 59? (I believe) though I don't know the exact cut off. Low light door glass is flat at the bottom (like the ones you have) and the later glass is cut upward at the bottom (I will post some images of later glass tonight so you can see the difference). You can sell those, buy the correct glass and still have money left over for other parts.
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Some info here. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 37

Jump to: