Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's this Ghia part and Where does it go?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Hi I have a 70 Ghia that was an auto stick and converted to a 4 speed. There is a flat wire with a clear plastic cover by the fuse box that I cant figure out where it goes. See the green arrow in the picture. Yea I am going to work on cleaning up the wiring. Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

It almost looks like antenna wire. Maybe a previous owners attempt without drilling a hole?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

not an antenna wire, it goes into the wiring harness. I am the second owner and have had my car since 1981 or 82. It had the stock AM Sapphire when I bought it.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

IIRC that is for the key buzzer. Does it go into/from the ignition switch wiring harness?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smuenchrath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I have had these plugs in my parts stash for quite a few years, but i have no idea where exactly they go and what purpose they serve?

kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

60 ragtop, there was a white wire to the ignition buzzer, swapping it with the foil wire made no difference however, since the buzzer is 50 years old would not surprise me if it is bad.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

The clear wire goes to a single connector via the white wire which goes to the left door switch and then a white? wire goes back to the relay. The other side of the relay should have a red power wire from the fuse box. Looked for a pic but couldn't' find one for you.

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
Viktor Cz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

This is the rocker placement:

smuenchrath wrote:
I have had these plugs in my parts stash for quite a few years, but i have no idea where exactly they go and what purpose they serve?

Karmann Ghia coupe 1966
VW ID.4 2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thanks 60ragtop, so what I think you are saying is on the buzzer, there should be a double connector for the white and foil wire. I looked and it does not have one so it is either white or foil. The red power wire is connected correctly. Thanks again for the help.
smuenchrath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thanks for the photo - but i am still confused as to the purpose of these plugs. Is there a hole between the front inner quarter panel that the heater channel/rocker attaches to? The reproduction piece that i have doesn't have anything for the plugs to attach to.

Viktor Cz. wrote:

smuenchrath wrote:

kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

smuenchrath wrote:
Thanks for the photo - but i am still confused as to the purpose of these plugs. Is there a hole between the front inner quarter panel that the heater channel/rocker attaches to? The reproduction piece that i have doesn't have anything for the plugs to attach to.

Viktor Cz. wrote:

smuenchrath wrote:

I believe they are just access holes to inspect or spray in rust preventitive. when i rebuilt mine I drilled those hole and did just that with a long wand.
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I can confirm that. I also drilles a couple of holes on each side. One goes to the outer rocker (pump that full of wax, and make sure it has drain holes!), and the other to the heater channel (never use wax, only high/er temperature rust protective coating/paint for this one)

Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
smuenchrath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thanks all - very helpful.
688GUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

This fell out when I was installing my new steering column bearing and blinker switch. I'm assuming it came off when I disconnected the steering box donut and banged the column up to get the old bushing out. WTF is it?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

see # 1

installed at the top of the collapsible cage

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
688GUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Cool, I knew it had to come from around there someplace! It looks like I could slide it back on and bend the tabs over to hold it and not have to take it all apart again, yes?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
688GUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Got it, thanks 60ragtop!
Torbjorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Any idea where this part would go on a -68 cabriolet?

Regards
Torbjorn
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Torbjorn wrote:

Regards
Torbjorn

my 69 ghia coupe have this item at one of my pedals. saw it somewhere in part-list. make you a pic next days
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Torbjorn wrote:

Regards
Torbjorn

find it at partlist "beetle 1972"

"Anschlag für Kupplungsfußhebel" means "Stop for clutch lever" (google translations)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 37

Jump to: