Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's this Ghia part and Where does it go?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Like this, other than this one being weld on style rather than bolted style
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Torbjorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thank you very much udo dreisoerner and 60ragtop

Best regards
Torbjorn
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Wow, that's interesting! Cool

I had also the "simple" version with just the metal tab welded, but didn't want to ruin my carpet every time I pressed the clutch down.

So I bought a threaded rubber bumper (with a very small thread, mind you), and screwed it on the forward (carpet) facing part of that tab. Job done Laughing

Crazy to think that the LowLight had this originally.....
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
Torbjorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Udo dreisoerner, grate pictures.
I see both in the part list and in your pictures that I am missing the rubber buffer. It will probably be a home made buffer in original style.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I know what this part is and where it goes, but how? Sorry for posting here, but I thought it would get wider distribution than if I put it on my rebuild thread.

I have never seen these before and bought them from a seller in the classifieds.
I know these mount from the rear toward the inside and up against the heater tubes under the back seat. The question is how do I get them in place? I crawled under the car, but when I tried to fit them, the torsion bar was in the way and I couldn't get them between the bar and the body. It also seemed like they would be crushed once I did get them in place, if I can figure it out, unless the tapered area fits in that small gap. The only way I can see getting them in place is to undo the bolts running along the back of the pan, put a thick board across the underside of the body in the engine compartment or bumper brackets, jack the body up slightly, try to wiggle them into place, and then lower the body, hoping they don't get crushed by the torsion bar.

Any thoughts? Has anyone used these before? Or would I be better just trying to connect one of the accordion plastic heat tubes directly through the hole? The only problem with that is that the hole through the lower fire wall is oval shaped like these connector pieces. And yes, at some point I am going to hook up heater boxes.....Baffled!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Jeff,

Looks like the wrong part for your Ghia.

My 71 used these: https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D255%2D416%2DF

You'll need a left and right ones.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

On a bug you can trim them to make them fit without lifting the body, don't know about a ghia. there are threads on this in the late bug forum.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, looks like I got overzealous and bought a part that is probably for a Bug or Type 3....ugh, can't even admit how many parts I've bought incorrectly! Thanks for the link to the CIP1 site, I had looked at those before, and the ones I bought I thought they were the same thing.

I only look through the classifieds for Ghia's, so maybe they go on earlier models or someone got me. Not the first time! Well maybe I can get some of it back in the classifieds!!
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Thanks guys, looks like I got overzealous and bought a part that is probably for a Bug or Type 3....ugh, can't even admit how many parts I've bought incorrectly! Thanks for the link to the CIP1 site, I had looked at those before, and the ones I bought I thought they were the same thing.

I only look through the classifieds for Ghia's, so maybe they go on earlier models or someone got me. Not the first time! Well maybe I can get some of it back in the classifieds!!
Jeff

Jeff,
Might I suggest a possible way to avoid errors of that nature? Before buying, try looking through the Karmann Parts book with an attempt to identify the right part number for what you want. I've been saved from mistakes by doing so, mainly because I'm more certain about some of the details that distinguish Ghia parts from others.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Noted, thanks as always Nicholas, I defer to your expertise and will follow course in future purchases!

Jeff

69 GVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Found this on the back of my drivers door. If I take the screw and rectangular brass plate off the rear door wedge I just got from WCM fits really nicely. My question, does the plate go on top to hold down the rubber, or was it somehow inside the rubber?

Another part I can't seem to find anywhere is this quarter panel cap.

Mine are in pretty sad shape, but I was able to glue them back together as a stop-gap.
Here's a catalog page that says they only fit late convertibles, which is wrong.

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

69 GVert wrote:
Another part I can't seem to find anywhere is this quarter panel cap.
This photo may help...
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

KGPR carries replacements.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
69 GVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:
KGPR carries replacements.
Thanks for the replies guys!

I have not found them on any site, been looking for a month, maybe it's one of those things you need to call Scott about? Like the little rubber tubes that go on the fresh air valve, not listed anywhere. (That's the other thing I need.)
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I've always had those caps on my 71, so not sure why they say only for late model. Mine are all busted up too.

Can someone remind me of the actual name, or is it as listed above? I did see them once in the KGPR catalog, but can't remember where.
Jeff

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
I've always had those caps on my 71, so not sure why they say only for late model. Mine are all busted up too.

Can someone remind me of the actual name, or is it as listed above? I did see them once in the KGPR catalog, but can't remember where.
Jeff

I have the information for those at home but I won't be home til Sunday night. If no one has posted it by then, I will post it. I found it on KGPR by searching "Convertible" parts.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

141-867-307

No picture at KGPR, but picture atHoffman

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thanks guys, found it at KGPR, called, Karmann Ghia Convertible Side Panel Cover Strip, Pair VW Part#: 141-867-307 BKPR Just like No Dents listed!
Jeff

69 GVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
I've always had those caps on my 71, so not sure why they say only for late model. ...
Jeff

I think because that's a kit that includes the plastic door caps for the late models. The quarter panel cap was not listed separately in that old catalog.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 37

Jump to: