Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's this Ghia part and Where does it go?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Nothing like that under my '73 AutoStick...
No idea.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canadianeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I have that same assembly under my 70 Ghia, 4 speed.

Were there gas heaters that came tunnel mounted? This device hooks up to a "box" that intercepts the hot air from the heater pipes before heading into the cabin. My car does have a heater light on the dash but no switch to activate the heater.
Propdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thanks canadianeh for the insight,
I do believe I have the same heater as the pic on pg 24 on this thread.
The hose going into the engine bay has been cut so I’m not sure where it is supposed to connect up on the engine side but at least I have an idea on narrowing the search.
I also have a light on the dash that I have no idea what it’s function is so I’ll assume it’s heater related.

Thanks again eh,
canadianeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

No problem eh.

I will likely remove the heater from the car. The "exhaust" pipe is missing and it looks pretty rough overall.
69 GVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
I resemble that. 😆

I was able to drill/tap one of these PC rack anchor nuts for M6X1. This should work nicely. Thanks again Rick.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just found a bag of 5 of these in my 6mm hardware drawer. Came with some rack mount something or other years back. Yep 6X1.0 metric... Have several drawers dedicated to the 10-32 ones as well.
pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Any idea what the silver button is to right of steering column.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 GVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

pkbghia wrote:
Any idea what the silver button is to right of steering column.

Dunno, but I've seen both horn buttons and cigar lighters that look like that.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Did you look under the dash to see if it is connected to anything? That might give you some indication what it's connected to. I have the same empty slot on mine, just deciding what I want to place there.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

The picture is some thing I saw online. I had found one of those buttons loose in the glove box of my 1970 ghia, wasn’t sure what it was or where it went. Saw it in this picture and wondered if someone knew.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

These rubber seals came with my car - with all the parts necessary to install the new convertible top. In all the research I've done, I have yet to see what these seals are for and where they go? There is 2 and both are 25 inches long. Can someone tell me these are used with the convertible installation?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
... I have yet to see what these seals are for and where they go?

they bear a striking resemblance to the fresh air grill seals
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
... I have yet to see what these seals are for and where they go?

they bear a striking resemblance to the fresh air grill seals

I think you are correct. I just tried one and the length fits just right. I thought it was strange that I had not seen
these in any of the convertible top related threads. I didn't even consider that they didn't belong in the bag of top parts! Embarassed
Thank you. You're a big help. Smile

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
...Thank you.
You're entirely welcome, Marc.
The memory of spending some real quality time installing those devil's shoestrings is branded on my psyche.
I trust with your patience and skill you'll breeze through it.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
...Thank you.
You're entirely welcome, Marc.
The memory of spending some real quality time installing those devil's shoestrings is branded on my psyche.
I trust with your patience and skill you'll breeze through it.

We shall see when the time comes! I assume these rubber seals are not glued on? Now that I look at these, I think they were either slightly used or possibly someone tried to put them on already? They are in excellent shape but I can see tiny holes on each end like someone tried to staple or pin them together.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
They are in excellent shape but I can see tiny holes on each end like someone tried to staple or pin them together.
Yes, the replacements I got from KGPR came as loops, each held closed with a very small staple. No glue for me.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
They are in excellent shape but I can see tiny holes on each end like someone tried to staple or pin them together.
Yes, the replacements I got from KGPR came as loops, each held closed with a very small staple. No glue for me.

That makes sense. Glad to have this information. What would we do without all the helpful members on TheSamba?
Again, thank you.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
pkbghia wrote:
Any ideas on which were original holes and which seem to be aftermarket?

Here's a "before" look at the unmodified stock engine compartment of my '71 taken back in 2004 for comparison. IIRC only two of the three holes in the lower left were used, one as the pass-through for the battery cable to the starter (shown) and the other for the wire from the reverse switch to the fuse holder. The original purpose of those oblong holes on either side remains a mystery to me Confused

Was there ever a grommet for those 2 oblong holes? The 2 are diff sized.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
I know of no specific grommet, but a rubber or neoprene edge trim/guard (Google: trim-lok) can be cut to fit.
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
crocteau wrote:
pkbghia wrote:
Any ideas on which were original holes and which seem to be aftermarket?

Here's a "before" look at the unmodified stock engine compartment of my '71 taken back in 2004 for comparison. IIRC only two of the three holes in the lower left were used, one as the pass-through for the battery cable to the starter (shown) and the other for the wire from the reverse switch to the fuse holder. The original purpose of those oblong holes on either side remains a mystery to me Confused

The one on the right is for the transmission hoses on an Autostick. There is a grommet for that, Seems like I had a grommet for the left one as well.
d
Appw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

What are these chrome and round parts that look like they should attach to drum brakes?

Also, I have found that the black wooden grip fits perfectly onto the e-brake. Has anyone ever seen something like this before?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 37

Jump to: