Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's this Ghia part and Where does it go?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Got another. I "think" this is Ghia, but maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone recognize this grommet and where it goes? A triple-holed rubber grommet, approximately 51 mm long outer edge to edge, about 30 mm wide and about 8.5 mm thick.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Later model washer sprayer gasket maybe? Looks a little too thick and I'm not that familiar with the later year ghias.
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I think the bottom seal/rubber might be the seal used between the nose skin by the front air intakes and the interior metal support fins by the spare tire. (Not quite sure how to describe) or possibly a body to pan seal.

alansvwTwinCab wrote:
I have some rubbers i didnt label and need help working out where they go.

this thick rubber around 4ft

and this rubber, its which is about 6ft long

Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Got another. I "think" this is Ghia, but maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone recognize this grommet and where it goes? A triple-holed rubber grommet, approximately 51 mm long outer edge to edge, about 30 mm wide and about 8.5 mm thick.

Thanks!

Bill

Grommet for where the brake lines and brake switch wires go from under the front hood to the master cylinder.
d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Can someone tell me if that is a fuel pump or a fuel pressure regulator mounted on the firewall next to the gauge? If a pressure regulator, then I assume an electric fuel pump is being used somewhere inline.

Also looking at the picture, where the mechanical fuel pump use to be, there is a hose routing somewhere, I assume to the bottom of that regulator/fuel pump, or to a hidden breather behind the shroud.

Can someone clarify? Thanks.

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Can someone tell me if that is a fuel pump or a fuel pressure regulator mounted on the firewall next to the gauge? If a pressure regulator, then I assume an electric fuel pump is being used somewhere inline.
Yes, that's a fuel pressure regulator on the firewall; looks like a Holley brand. There's probably an electric fuel pump up front under the tank.

rbsurfguy wrote:
Also looking at the picture, where the mechanical fuel pump use to be, there is a hose routing somewhere, I assume to the bottom of that regulator/fuel pump, or to a hidden breather behind the shroud.
A crankcase breather box is likely behind the shroud, no relation to the fuel pressure regulator.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thanks Crocteau, I had a feeling that was the case. Since I will be running an electric fuel pump, I guess I will need one of these as well. I remember seeing some topic discussion on mounting the fuel pump near the tank, I'll have to find that thread and read up on it.

Congrats to your Eagles!!!

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Thanks Crocteau, I had a feeling that was the case. Since I will be running an electric fuel pump, I guess I will need one of these as well. I remember seeing some topic discussion on mounting the fuel pump near the tank, I'll have to find that thread and read up on it.
You can find a photo in the gallery. Use care in choosing a pump so as not to overdo the pressure (e.g., typically 3-3.5 psi max for Weber carbs). There was a recent thread here on the Samba discussing the merits of various fuel pressure regulators that you may find of interest (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=502530)

rbsurfguy wrote:
Congrats to your Eagles!!!
What a game! I've never seen another American football game with quite the same level of sustained excitement. Quarterback Foles' end zone catch for a touchdown on a pass from tight end Burton was priceless.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Noted, thanks, will look at that thread.

Yes, very exciting game all the way to the end!

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

i have the same accurate Holley reg on my ghia. I also run a stock mechanical fuel pump. W/O the reg i was close to 7 psi, my dells like about 2.5 psi.
Any reason for an elec pump? It will add additional wiring for relay.
A mechanical pump is pretty reliable reasonably priced, available, rebuildable.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Hi Darrel, thanks as well for your response. As you may remember, I have that Bergmann motor with the Porsche style cooling fan...yes I can hear the groans, let's please not start that thread again, so the way things fit, there is no room to mount a mechanical pump in its normal position, that is why the electric pump. I've never used one before either, and yes additional wiring. If you can recommend another type of mechanical, I'm all ears. Please don't say change motors...already gone through that scream fest in other threads.

On another topic, which I was going to ask and see in your photo, barely, in the upper left corner, can you explain the wire set up to that wire panel? I have seen this on many VW's and never asked what it's for, can you explain the connections, where they run to, and reason for this? Thanks
Jeff

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Sorry, totally forgot you were the Bergmann guy. I have nothing to add about fuel pumps. Very Happy

Nothing special about the wiring. I have a non vw wiring kit.

Sorry, dont have a good pic of it.

Plenty of ways to run wires, this was just how i choose. I think it cleans things up a little.
pink is coil
white, tach
blue, stock oil light
purple, oil pressure gauge
green, oil filter sensor.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Sorry Darrel, I just re-read your post and I think you answered that question, thanks!

Yes I've looked over your thread many times and I like that set up. But I was referring to the wire plate attached to your left firewall just behind the carb, that's something I see a lot but have no clue how it is used.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Im not sure what it is called. Terminal block? I had some wires that were too short to make the complete run from front of car to its end point. All my wires were long enough to reach that point on the fire wall. Its a clean way to extend wire length w/o a butt joint or other ways to extend wire. Yeah, i pretty much thought it looked cooler. Very Happy
https://www.delcity.net/store/Blue-Sea-Systems-Ter...%20-%20PLA's(BSC)&utm_term=1100315444396&utm_content=Ad%20group%20%231
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Yes, a terminal block! Ok, great way to extend wires and clean up wiring. I may reach out to you soon when I get to wire loom install. Thanks!

Sterck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Quote:
Now I have a smell of petrol (gasoline for those in the New World) in the car every time I do a right turn.

Me too in my '71
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Sterck wrote:
Quote:
Now I have a smell of petrol (gasoline for those in the New World) in the car every time I do a right turn.

Me too in my '71

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=440209
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Sterck wrote:
Quote:

Me too in my '71

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=440209

Notwithstanding my initial giving up, I did eventually find the cause and also a solution to this problem. There is a small vent tube exiting in the right wheel well area from the gas tubes setup. (The gas tank needs to breathe, otherwise a vacuum develops and the fuel pump can't suck in gas to feed the carbs.)

On a left turn - in my car - gas slopped from the tank and out into the atmosphere and against the splash-plate. Hence the smell and even damage to the paint.

I cured the problem by extending the vent tube to exit under the car. Like this:

Before, showing the vent:

Parts used:

After:

At the top, this gas-proof hose is clamped over the vent shown in the first photo:

The copper pipe is attached to the gas-proof hose:

The copper tube is attached with clamps to the wall behind the splash-plate - and the parts are therefore out of sight when the splash-plate is back in its place.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Great Idea Kiwi! Just to be clear, you connected the hose to the little black tube coming off the fill tube, and not the overflow drain tube (white) coming off the fill area? Awesome fix!

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Great Idea Kiwi! Just to be clear, you connected the hose to the little black tube coming off the fill tube, and not the overflow drain tube (white) coming off the fill area? Awesome fix!

Yes, the little back tube.

The L-shaped tube is for overspill when filling the tank at the gas station and for water that might otherwise collect during washing or when driving in rain.

PS I'm a teacher and I should be clearer in my explanations. Imagine a fist to the forehead here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 37

Jump to: