Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's this Ghia part and Where does it go?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Exploring around, reintroducing myself to my Ghia, I noticed these bolts attached to the beam. If you look closely, they are on the drivers side, just left and below the steering coupler, see arrows:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can someone tell me what attaches here? Is it the ground wire/cable on the steering coupler I have seen in other pics? I can't remember what exactly attaches here..As always, help is appreciated.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Exploring around, reintroducing myself to my Ghia, I noticed these bolts attached to the beam. If you look closely, they are on the drivers side, just left and below the steering coupler, see arrows:

Can someone tell me what attaches here? Is it the ground wire/cable on the steering coupler I have seen in other pics? I can't remember what exactly attaches here..As always, help is appreciated.
Jeff

They look like the adjustment bolts for the turning circle. The Pitman arm should connect with the inner parts of those bolts to stop the wheels turning further left or right, as the case may be.
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

TieDyedHippie wrote:
TieDyedHippie wrote:

New member here and I'm happy I just spent the time looking through this whole thread before posting myself. My gf just got a 69, and it runs fine, but I noticed this cable not attached to anything other than a lever.

My issue though is that my engine is different. Still trying to figure out where the loose end attaches.

*** Update. A car friend texted me that we have an aftermarket air cleaner, so there is no oil bath air cleaner to attach it to. I guess it was left on there anyway by a previous mechanic. I hate loose cables.

When you get the correct air cleaner, it goes here ('68 but same idea):

Viktor Cz.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Found these in one of my KG boxes but can't remember where it belongs!
Are they KG-parts?

Karmann Ghia coupe 1966
VW ID.4 2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
rbsurfguy wrote:

Jeff

They look like the adjustment bolts for the turning circle. The Pitman arm should connect with the inner parts of those bolts to stop the wheels turning further left or right, as the case may be.

So you are saying this is the stopping points for the Pitman arm, ok that makes sense, thanks Kiwi

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Any idea what this yellow bracket in the top middle(ish) is for on my 65KG?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

bnam wrote:

Any idea what this yellow bracket in the top middle(ish) is for on my 65KG?

One or both of my cars had a ground strap attached to the bolt on the backside. Can't remember for which component.

Also I think it would hold in place the piece that is meant to cover up the back side of the dash, but I may be wrong...
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Viktor Cz. wrote:
Are they KG-parts?

I believe these are for the brake pedal to retain the plunger arm (wrong name?) on the pedal.

I recently purchased a new one for my car.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:
Viktor Cz. wrote:
Are they KG-parts?

I believe these are for the brake pedal to retain the plunger arm (wrong name?) on the pedal.

I recently purchased a new one for my car.

No it isn't. I wish I knew what they are but they obviously support a cable or wire harness. As I work on my Ghia this weekend I'll look for them. The one for the brake pedal is C-clip but has the same raised surround to help keep the return spring from popping out.

Unfortunately, this is the only photo I have of my disassembled pedal assembly. The clip is in the bag.
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

You're right... a "C" clip.

Us old pharts have bad memories sometimes. Shocked

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

If you look closely, there are similar pieces on the steering coupler but unfortunately not what we’re looking for.

I’ll keep looking.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Questions on a few items. as I am crawling under the hood, I am trying to ID some things. First, what connects to these brackets? they sit behind the glove box. See arrows

Can anyone confirm if the top hole, coming from the fuel filler area, is part of the overflow, and connects to the lower hole, where I can run the drain pipe? See arrows

And lastly, I know these are grounding points, have to sand the paint off, are they for specific wires/relays? And the hole below, is this for a specific relay such as the flasher relay?

Thanks for the help, Jeff

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Questions on a few items. as I am crawling under the hood, I am trying to ID some things. First, what connects to these brackets? they sit behind the glove box. See arrows

Thanks for the help, Jeff
The short one anchors a fresh air control cable, and the long one helps hold the duct to the dash outlets. This picture may not be worth a thousand words, but it should help...
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

That's perfect, thank you Sir, I see it now.

Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

So, first Ghia, and curious to this contraption under the rear decklid. 1972 with factory AC. Is this part of the AC system? Sorry, but this picture is all I have.

Thanks in advance!

-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

That catches water and directs it down the tube away from your engine... Don't want that getting wet. At least, I think that is what it is.
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

x2

Yes, it's a rain catcher.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Anyone have a clue what these are? Do they go above the rear wheel wells under the carpet? If anyone has pictures if them installed that would be great.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Anyone have a clue what these are? Do they go above the rear wheel wells under the carpet? If anyone has pictures if them installed that would be great.

They fit under the carpet behind the wheel arches with the one on the left on the RH side of the car. The indentation is there to accomodate the tube that takes warm air to the parcel shelf (to demist the rear windscreen). The curve fits over the wheel arch with the narrow end towards the rear. They sit at an angle against the bulkhead - angling inwards.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Ah... I see. Painted flat black and installed. Thanks Kiwighia68! Now, for the front ones... Can they be dampened and pressed back to flat? They are a but warped.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 37

Jump to: