Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's this Ghia part and Where does it go?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwman6559
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thank you.

sputnick60 wrote:
c21darrel wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
And there I was thinking Darrel knew everything Ghia.

All the best for 2019 Darrel, and I'll keep coming back to you with my questions.

Thank you my friend. I only know enough to be dangerous.
I thought I just had some run of the mill late repop side trim....til I tried to match it with trim on my frankenghia.

vwman6559, looks like those are all vert top washers....or I dont understand the question. Its all labeled???

I just looked in the parts book ..... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1972_ghia_parts_book.php
.... Download that and do a search in the PDF for that number group. Answer? Exactly what’s written on the label. Quantity? It says four per car but I can only see two in the illustration #27

Nicholas
morgan8899
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

What are these bolts for? They are by the rear shock of a 1970 Ghia.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by morgan8899 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Rear sway bar mounts.

See: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5044918

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Motopilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

My first VW is on the horizon. I have wanted a Ghia a since I was very young.

I am looking at a 1970 right now and doing some research and getting some ideas on what I want to do.

I have wrenched on many vehicles,but not an older VW. Mostly anything Ihave owned. My Dad always taught me to buy the tools and do it yourself.

Can anyone tell me what this this is from the engine bay pic.
I have not seen the car yet myself, just the pics the owner has sent me.

Thanks
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

A siren?

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

weird, siren, horn, back-up beep beep....
never seen one.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Motopilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

I thought it was an odd looking piece a well.
If I get the car I will try to report back on it.
Thanks for the replies
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Looks like this: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/12-volt-dc-motorized-siren-alarm-home-28028632

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
Motopilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

An alarm siren makes total sense.

Thank you
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Motopilot wrote:

My first VW is on the horizon. I have wanted a Ghia a since I was very young.

I am looking at a 1970 right now and doing some research and getting some ideas on what I want to do.

I have wrenched on many vehicles,but not an older VW. Mostly anything Ihave owned. My Dad always taught me to buy the tools and do it yourself.

Can anyone tell me what this this is from the engine bay pic.
I have not seen the car yet myself, just the pics the owner has sent me.

Thanks

You know, the sound of electronic car alarms going off has become so common in this day and age that most people pay absolutley no attention to them whatsoever.

Just take a listen to this video I found of a very similar looking vintage siren, though, ...

Link

... and I think you'll agree that it would certainly grab the attention of just about anyone in the vicinity. Shocked

BTW, please feel free to post up whatever pictures you may have of any Ghia that you are considering purchasing and the many knowledgable Ghia forum members will gladly identify and inform you of anything you should be concerned about or that will greatly affect the value.
Motopilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Great video. I actually hope that is what it sounds like.lol

I will post up some pics in the appropriate place if I can.

Thanks

Pics are Posted in the ghia hunting history thread now.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

A couple of things, I know this item is the defrost/fresh air levers, but in the bag with it were these little clips. Are these used to hold the cables in place, close to the levers? I'm not sure how these clips actually mount, the one attached I placed there, not sure if correct. If someone can confirm.

And what do you call the actual cables that connect here? my keyword search on the various parts suppliers comes up with nothing. Anyone know who might sell these cables?
Also, do these clips mount on opposite sides? I ask because the lever/mount bumps out on one side, convex, while the other is concave. I can't figure out the positions. If anyone has a pic it would be helpful. I looked in the Bentley, in the Ghia parts manual, and searched the gallery to no avail.

Also, crawling around inside, I came across this threaded hole under the backseat armrest(?) area just above the floor. I don't know what goes here, is it part of my convertible top mounting?

Any Ideas,
Thanks, Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, crawling around inside, I came across this threaded hole under the backseat armrest(?) area just above the floor. I don't know what goes here, is it part of my convertible top mounting?

If I'm seeing the picture correctly, that is for a body bolt that attaches to the torsion bar housing. The hole above allows a socket on an extension to tighten.

This bolt has been discussed in another post as a way to adjust the door jam alignment using spacers.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:

A couple of things, I know this item is the defrost/fresh air levers, but in the bag with it were these little clips. Are these used to hold the cables in place, close to the levers? I'm not sure how these clips actually mount, the one attached I placed there, not sure if correct. If someone can confirm.

And what do you call the actual cables that connect here? my keyword search on the various parts suppliers comes up with nothing. Anyone know who might sell these cables?
Also, do these clips mount on opposite sides? I ask because the lever/mount bumps out on one side, convex, while the other is concave. I can't figure out the positions. If anyone has a pic it would be helpful. I looked in the Bentley, in the Ghia parts manual, and searched the gallery to no avail.

Any Ideas,
Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, They go on either side, each to clamp a cable. Like this:

Ignore the red wire: electrical. I hope this helps. Chris M
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

If I'm seeing the picture correctly, that is for a body bolt that attaches to the torsion bar housing. The hole above allows a socket on an extension to tighten.

This bolt has been discussed in another post as a way to adjust the door jam alignment using spacers.[/quote]

Thanks No Dents, that makes sense then, I'll keep an eye on that in case I get an alignment issue, and seem to remember the previous conversation. At this point my doors appear to be pretty well aligned at the correct space.
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Thanks Chris, that's what I thought, but just couldn't picture it. Your's looks different, since it's an earlier model than mine, but I get the idea. Appreciate the help.
Jeff

cwatts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Hi folks

I can’t figure out where this windlace goes. It’s different to the door windlace, it came with the hood and is made of the same material as the hood ( hood retailer has no idea what its for). It’s a nice piece of windlace, and clearly some effort went into making it. No luck searching and the parts manual doesn’t seem to list it on the hood page. 1972 convertible, new hood - seat covers from a US company in Colorado, when I asked them what it was for they were a bit funny about it and referred me to my installer, they said he would know, sadly my installer is me ( no KG hood installation shops near me) and I have no idea.
Mel Trujillo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

We are reassembling our 73 Ghia convertible which we tore down in 2012. As the bags of parts dwindle, there are a few mystery guys, like these. Memories are bad, and our labeling faded. Can anyone assist us in deciding where these go? Please?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Most likely for one of the heater outlets. Later cars had open/close controls for the flaps under the doors right?.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this Ghia part and Where does it go? Reply with quote

Mel, those look to me like the fresh air/defrost cables I was looking for in my question above. The ends that are circular attach to the lever that opens and closes, and held in place by a C-clip. If I'm correct, unlike my 71, your defrost controls are knobs on the dash, and on the other side there was a little frame with gears that when the knobs are twisted, they push or pull the vents open/shut. I think later beetles had this and am thinking the 72-74 Ghias used this mechanism as well.

Darrel in answer to your question, the heat flaps are on the floor under the door, 70(?) plus, but it's opened and closed by a little finger flap not a cable.

Jeff

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 37

Jump to: