Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help needed please - interior questions
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveB9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Help needed please - interior questions Reply with quote

I have done some searches and looked at various interior threads, but still have a few questions on bits and pieces for the interior of my 61 convertible. If anyone has any tips or suggestions on these I'd really appreciate it.

First up, the car came with no sunvisors. I bought this TMI set, which seem OK, but have no means of attaching them to the stems on the mirror! Has anyone fitted a set of these? Is the idea that you just punch a hole and slide it on? In some pictures of originals I can see a clamp screw. Has anyone found any form of clamp which could be used? As its a vert, I think just making a hole and pushing them on is likely to lead to them disappearing over my shoulder at speed!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The second question relates to the windscreen pillars. There was a piece of black vinyl on each one between the windscreen rubber and the A-pillar window seal. They were black, but may have been painted with vinylkote or similar. Looking at pictures it appears they were always black though, regardless of the colour of the interior, sort of continuing the dashpad up the pillars. Can anyone confirm this?

Next, the A-pillar carpet holding strips. DOes anyone have the dimensions and shape of the hardboard piece that fitted between this strip and the front bulkhead?

My car was missing them. I can probably figure something out, but it would be great to know the correct shape and dimensions. I think they went over the vertical heater pipe and then bent at an angle at the front. Were they glued to the inner wing at the front? There is no channel for them to sit in at the front edge.

Finally, what is this seal that went between that vertical A-pillar piece and the body? It seems like it goes between the windlace strip and the body, but I only have shreds of it left, so have no idea what shape it was originally!

All help much appreciated.
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed please - interior questions Reply with quote

1. Yeah, punch a hole and push the visors on the stems. The inside stucture of the visors is stong enought to hold.

2. Always black!

3. I can post a pic of such.

4. That is the remains of the hardbord of question 3!
DaveB9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed please - interior questions Reply with quote

Thank you Disc! That is really helpful. Now I just need to find the old vinyl from the A-pillars to make templates - I swore I logged and indexed everything, but what do you know, no sign of them on my index!

Any picture of the boards would be super-helpful, then I can make my own templates against the car.

I hadn't thought that the black bits might be remnants of the boards! I think you're right though - I thought it was just very dried out rubber! It is a similar material to the trunk liner then. So the metal strip is screwed to the A-pillar with the board held between the two and the screws going through it and then just the carpet sits in the channel of the metal strip? I had thought that the board would slot into the channel and the carpet was glued to the board! The problem with so much being missing.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed please - interior questions Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed please - interior questions Reply with quote

DaveB9 wrote:
So the metal strip is screwed to the A-pillar with the board held between the two and the screws going through it and then just the carpet sits in the channel of the metal strip?

Correct!
DaveB9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed please - interior questions Reply with quote

Brilliant! Thanks so much: another piece of the puzzle solved!

From the look of that there is a fold at each end, so now I just need to find some board that is strong enough but allows for some folding.
DaveB9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed please - interior questions Reply with quote

This stuff looks the ticket: https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-146-millboard

I'll post up how I get on in my resto thread. Thanks again Disc!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed please - interior questions Reply with quote

Have a look at this thread for photos of the area..
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8953706

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed please - interior questions Reply with quote

Sew Fine sells the kick boards as well as new retainer strips
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed please - interior questions Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
Sew Fine sells the kick boards as well as new retainer strips

Yep, page 39 of their catalog

https://sewfineproducts.com/userfiles/1259/files/5th%20CO%20bug%20catalog.pdf

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveB9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed please - interior questions Reply with quote

Thank you all, super-helpful. I am not sure anyone here imports Sewfine parts, which is a shame because at $60 a pair those boards are pretty reasonable. Shipping and import taxes may make them less attractive from here! I might ask though. Otherwise, more pictures is going to make them easier to make at least.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: