Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A new Burley build - passenger side swing away
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xriss55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

& andys stuff is pretty well nice also:)Smile
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Where did you get the syncro spare tire cover?
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to buy a couple NATO cans.

What are the pros and cons of NATO cans and spouts?

Would you use them , in this application, for roadtripping and modest offroad?

A build update, too. I hear the mounting brackets are back from the laser cutter.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
I have an opportunity to buy a couple NATO cans.

What are the pros and cons of NATO cans and spouts?

Would you use them , in this application, for roadtripping and modest offroad?

I bought a couple just before the ban went into effect. They are very hard to find now so I'm surprised you have a line on some.
One leaks from the spout. The design is supposed to be robust and I think it generally is, but the cap on mine got bent somehow and now is essentially useless. Very light use too. Never been on a vehicle and only used to store emergency fuel.
So yeah, would use them for your app, but make sure it seals and make sure the lid is pushed down when you tighten the locking lever.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nato can pros:

1. my Nato cans, and spouts do not leak, they seal very securely

2. there are locking mounts available that secure the lid of Nato cans against fuel theft

3. the spout can be attached to the can for transport (so you dont have to have it inside the Van stinking of fuel)

Nato can cons:

1. The spout stores outside the can, where it can get dirty, fall off, or stolen.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
I have an opportunity to buy a couple NATO cans. What are the pros and cons of NATO cans and spouts? Would you use them , in this application, for roadtripping and modest offroad? A build update, too. I hear the mounting brackets are back from the laser cutter.

The NATO or Wedco-style cans are designed for trip/expedition use and should work fine. Lately some new unmarked but well made green Chinese models are showing up -- I bought 2 with spouts several months ago to supplement what I already have.

I presume you're looking at some with the older non-CARB spouts. These are most desirable because the spouts clamp rather than screw on thus minimizing wear and tear on the rubber grommet seal. Other than that I think Jon did a good job covering the rest.

A couple of other things to mention - don't leave gas stored in the cans when not road tripping - that is, when the trip is done pour the remaining gas into the rig or the lawn mower or something and let the can(s) air out for a bit. This is to prevent any inside rust forming (all gas has some water content). Second, my all time favorite are the Sceptor plastic jerry cans.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw earlier today that a guy on Flakeslist in VT has a Hannibal Jerry can mount (new) for sale, and eludes to the fact that he has cans to go with.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andy syncro-nutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankenSubySyncro wrote:
Andy,

Where did you get the syncro spare tire cover?

Thats a genuine 16" cover given to me by Russel @syncro-nutz, I dont think there are to many of them kicking around huh? Smile
andy syncro-nutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
andy syncro-nutz wrote:
Here is what i knocked together:)

Andy -- how did you attach the jerry can carrier to the swing-away bars ? Is it welded on ?

Yeah i just welded the can holder on there, you can buy those holders really quite cheap, it would cost more to make it i guess, I would have liked to make something from scratch but it was to close to hand Smile
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use two of these Nato cans. One behind each of my two spares, which are mounted on a dual swing rear bumper/carrier. I purchased at a local thrift shop for 5.00 dollars each. Neither leak and, if yours do, you can get the seals on line. Mine have never leaked. Recently on a 5 week Baja trip....no leaks and they are more formidable than anything out there. Google your question and you will find overwhelming pros to these over any other. If anything, they have a very interesting history!
Miguel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post some pictures of my 'in developement' rear bumper and Nato cans, in the next couple of days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy syncro-nutz wrote:
Yeah i just welded the can holder on there, you can buy those holders really quite cheap, it would cost more to make it i guess, I would have liked to make something from scratch but it was to close to hand Smile

Your carriers look identical to the two I got last year from British Pacific in CA. Not the beefiest around but the price is right and they are well made. My German jerries fit like a glove, the Wedco & Chinese knock-offs are tight but work as do the Canadian Scepters.

I'll probably try to devise a secure carrier clamping system to my GL ladder rack rather than weld but it looks great welded to your swing-out.
andy syncro-nutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
andy syncro-nutz wrote:

Your carriers look identical to the two I got last year from British Pacific in CA. Not the beefiest around but the price is right and they are well made. My German jerries fit like a glove, the Wedco & Chinese knock-offs are tight but work as do the Canadian Scepters.

I'll probably try to devise a secure carrier clamping system to my GL ladder rack rather than weld but it looks great welded to your swing-out.

A clip on system would be a better option on a ladder for sure! Smile
burleymotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burley Motorsports announcement:
I have just finished building more left side Burley swing away rear tire carriers. I will be finishing some rights tomorrow.
I have made a couple changes this time around.
1) all the plates for various parts of the unit are now laser cut parts.
2) The bracket that holds the latch has a slight angle change to make it open and close a little smoother.
3) They only come powder coated now unless otherwise specified, nobody has ask for chrome...... YET!!!
4) I have one unit left in stock that was not presold prior to this run. So if you want one I have it now http://burleysmotorsports.com/index.php?main_page=...417c0abnv6 Thank you all for your input and great support of this product. Burley

I will not see your PM.
Please email us directly through our website at http://www.burleymotorsports.net . Thank you.

Web: http://www.burleymotorsports.net
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/burleymotorsports
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/burleymotorsports
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress Report!

Burley has been a busy man.
See below---\/

Three views:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Folded:

Folded clasp:

Working on ideas to attach some cans and leaning towards loops on the frame swing and perhaps employing webbing/ratchet strap.

Thoughts on attaching stuff?

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
burleymotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is interested.
I have a couple right side Tire carriers in stock, these are a mirror image of the lefts for those that want to put the tire on the other side.
I probably wont be doing anymore of these , at least for a while.

I will not see your PM.
Please email us directly through our website at http://www.burleymotorsports.net . Thank you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks sharp. My initial thought is that the folding support hinges on the side would get in the way if you wanted to put a wide cooler or something like that on the rack though.
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Wildcat wrote:
It looks sharp. My initial thought is that the folding support hinges on the side would get in the way if you wanted to put a wide cooler or something like that on the rack though.

I hadn't given much thought to a cooler on this. But that would be great for picnics and tailgates.

Burley and I worked over several dimensions (also info in this thread) for the utility tray. And wanted to balance the tray with the symmetrical dimensions of the driver side swing away.
Its really intended for gas cans, 1st.. BBQ or camp stove, 2nd.. and tool box, third.

Given the time/money poured into this.. I think I'd probably just buy a new cooler that fits, at this point! Laughing

At 26" and change across between hinged supports.. there's gotta be something in the range.

But yours is a good point.. "utility".. make it as versatile as possible. Thats the intent.
I am working on a ski rack to mount over it as well.. and am tossing ideas about a hi-lift on it vs mounting that up in the Westy luggage rack with the rest of the recovery gear.

Keep comments coming..

This is a prototype. I have some sketches that might be able to do away with the hinged supports. We shall see.
The more we look at and consider here.. the better the next one is gonna be.

cheers!
-jim

danfromsyr wrote:
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
Its really intended for gas cans, 1st.. BBQ or camp stove, 2nd.. and tool box, third ... Given the time/money poured into this.. I think I'd probably just buy a new cooler that fits, at this point!

I'm not sure why anyone would want to carry their cooler with food and drink outside the rig unless it's a short day picnic but to each their own. Anyway, I like the comments above and being nitpicky add water cans to the list -- kinda like what you see in those Gowesty pics of them going down to Baja with a rear carrier lined with fuel/water jerrys. Cool

But one question I have, mostly regarding the mounting system, is how much weight can it hold ? If someone has already asked ... sorry for the repeat.
burleymotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the question Bob, Our mounting system for the right side is exactly a mirror image of the left. Our system incorporates the support of the striker plate on the bottom to spread the load. We also use urethane bushings so the shock of the load does not damage the door jam.
We estimate the load capacity at 75- 100 lbs. We have no test data for anything above that. heres a link that shows the mounting system of the left side
http://burleysmotorsports.com/index.php?main_page=...oisn6m7p77

I will not see your PM.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: