Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A new Burley build - passenger side swing away
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burleymotorsports wrote:
We estimate the load capacity at 75- 100 lbs. We have no test data for anything above that.

Yep..
I've messed around with my driver side swing away.. And I think 75-100lbs is probably "in the zone".

The swing away frame brackets along the side panels appear PLENTY strong in a yrs use.

Much heavier than 75-100lbs, though, and I think the lower striker plate may need added body panel reinforcment.. i.e. a larger backing plate that stretches down to some structure in the van body panel.

I have sketched up a backing plate that can combine both striker plates.
Maybe even a simpler stringer to combine the two.. bolted. That may work in the interim for my particular application.

This would be behind the license plate panel.. hidden from view.

Not a ton of space to work with in there, though.. and an engine conversion may make matters worse.

Thats more time and money... We shall see.
But this is expediton grade stuff.. no doubt.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burleymotorsports wrote:
In case anyone is interested.
I have a couple right side Tire carriers in stock, these are a mirror image of the lefts for those that want to put the tire on the other side.
I probably wont be doing anymore of these , at least for a while.
Saw that email last night Cool It comes about 3 months before I can spring for it though. If you still have it at that time, we will talk. I love the idea of having it on the Right side just to be different. Love the new shelf. Keep up the great work! Thanks for all you do for us!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: