Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late Model Engine Tin
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Model Engine Tin Reply with quote

MSBenko wrote:
beetlenut wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How critical is this one piece of tin to cooling?

That is the rear engine tin. Without it, hot air flowing out the bottom of the engine will flow back into the engine compartment and recirculated into the far intake. This will cause higher than normal engine temps.

Think of it like running a large bypass hose that passes hot coolant back into your engine before it can be cooled by the radiator. As your engine passes more and more heat into the coolant it will get hotter and hotter.

You need to keep the hot air below the engine tin so the air in the engine compartment is mostly the cool air coming in from the vents below the rear window/deck lid. Anything you can do to accomplish this will improve engine temps.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
MSBenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Model Engine Tin Reply with quote

Thank you for the information.

I do not have heat risers, but I plan I putting them back on (PO removed them). If I purchase one with the the cutouts for heat risers, will it cause a problem if I run the engine like that until I replace the intake? Would you suggest blocking the holes until then?

75 Standard Beetle
72 Standard Beetle (first car) sold in '96
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Model Engine Tin Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Anything you can do to accomplish this will improve engine temps.

Yes, plug the holes. Even duct tape as a temp measure. If you can, some trimmed metal pieces to cover openings.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Model Engine Tin Reply with quote

Your local FLAPS will probably sell metal plugs with bend over tabs underneath that will fill those holes. I used them before buying a piece without the holes punched out.
Also, Gene Berg has the industrial tins - GB 7400L/R.
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: