Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric engine swap?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Electric engine swap? Reply with quote

Has anyone thought of using a DC electric motor fed from a battery/generator to power their van? It sure would eliminate a lot of common problems that we all post here.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the weight of the batteries and lack of range will give you more problems than we all have now

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WAgrower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vanagon would be far to heavy to make an efficient EV.

A small pick up is about as heavy a vehicle as you want to use to convert to EV.
there comes a point where the vehicle is so heavy that the amount of batteries needed to provide a decent range would weigh more then the motor could drive; putting a larger motor would mean more batteries, more batteries decrease the range.

I've done a conversion with a 87 ford ranger and that was really too heavy to make an efficient EV. I had a 20-40 mile range with it and had 24 batteries and a 144v system.
Also EV's have short ranges so they make great cars to run errands in and commute to work, but you wouldn't want to take your family to the grand canyon in one. Stopping every 30 miles to "fuel up".

here's a pretty good chart that shows vehicle weight to range over different power types- It look a little optimistic to me for Lead acid though. Maybe a fuel cell vanagon Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As battery technology advances this may one day be an option, but currently it just takes too much mass to store enough energy for a vanagon EV. Sad[/img]

"We have created a market that socializes losses and privatizes gains"
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not what the OP had in mind, but the idea of adding hub motors as an 4WD drive system occured to my the other day. Hmm, a couple DC stepper motors, a motor controller and some type of computer would be needed to make them turn the right speed at the right times. If only used to pull you out of slippery parking spaced or up short steep hills, you could probably feed it off of a large house battery and a strong alternator.
Not sure how you would input vehicle speed since a traditions axle based VSS would give you a false reading when your wheels were slipping. Hmmm...
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a blog somewhere that a Vanagon received an electric motor from a mass transit vehicle.
I dont have the link any longer.
Possibly someone else has it.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

google youtube electric vanagon,but their site has never been updated
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats probably why I deleted it.

Thanks.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would work for around town stuff but the cost of even a mild Li-Ion pack will make an engine swap seem cheap. I have an electric VW Caddy and with 1400 pounds of lead acid batteries, it isn't fast and range is only about 30 miles on a good day with my tired pack. Add that to an already heavy, brick shaped vehicle and you just have an expensive neighborhood EV (which may be exactly what you want?).

Otmar (who created Zilla controllers) planned on doing it in his stretch vanagon. http://www.evcl.com/vw/ I don't know if it was ever converted.
Fishguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric Hummer H3 since 2009. 100 MPG in hybrid mode. Battery & gas generator .
There has to be some "red neck" inventors here.
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://e-vanagon.blogspot.com/

they go around and do EV workshops. i think the vanagon was one of the first ones.

I think a short range EV is a great idea, especially as a second car. i plan on converting my Smart car to electric if the diesel engine ever dies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MPLannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is an electric syncro that was assembled in mt holly vt. i watched all the steps take place,the builder is a member i will encourage him to post
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a couple conversions out there. http://www.evalbum.com is a great way to see what else is out there. I actually found the one I bought while I was dreaming of converting my other truck. http://www.evalbum.com/3484 Buying one already done was way cheaper than converting!

Sample vanagon conversions...
http://www.evalbum.com/2996

http://www.evalbum.com/3927
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishguy wrote:
Electric Hummer H3 since 2009. 100 MPG in hybrid mode. Battery & gas generator .
There has to be some "red neck" inventors here.

Exactly. You want to find a crashed hybrid and put that powertrain into the Vanagon. There is plenty of room, but it would be quite a lengthy task.

The progenitor of VW, Ferdinand Porsche created the Lohner, the first car to use electric wheel hub motors in the early 1900s. He then went on to use his mixtie concept (hybrids) with wheel hub motors in various WWI military vehicles, such as his off-road "land train" vehicle.
86syncrowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down the street from a guy did a electric conv with an old bay window. I remember not long after it was running watching him slowly, 5 mph +/-. try to make it up a hill in our neighborhood. I have only seen it out rarely recently and much of the time I do see a cord hanging from it so it must still run. That's a lot of batteries to move around a van though.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My van would be a pretty decent candidate for an EV setup, since I mostly use it for short jaunts to the hardware store, or dump. It's pure utility, with limited range. The parts trips to Seattle would be more problematic, but a small diesel engine as a backup would help fill the gap.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the hybrid concept I saw with a 2wd that had syncro front drivetrain that was electric. Don't think the guy ever built it. Toyota has a small AWD suv. Front drive is gas. Rear wheels electric.

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPLannon wrote:
there is an electric syncro that was assembled in mt holly vt. i watched all the steps take place,the builder is a member i will encourage him to post

I was supposed to go see that Syncro, but never did.
Perhaps he will post...many will enjoy seeing what he has built.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone who I met on this forum stopped at my house last year to pick up some parts and had this all electric vanagon in tow:

http://www.electricautosports.com/node/294

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...or it least one that was identical. Not sure how it got from B.C. to Massachusetts. The batteries were all at the end of their life. The owner had just bought it and was planning on replacing the battery units. He said that it had a 30 mile range. It looked like a well deigned and constructed EV conversion but the batteries took up a ton of space in the rear cargo area.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: hybrid Reply with quote

I've often thought that someone should take a look at copying the train engine technology that has been operational for more than half a century. Diesel engines power a generator(s) that powers electric motors. Originally implemented to eliminate the need for a clutch, the system has been well engineered and has proven the test of time.
I sorta envision a fuel efficient diesel engine running at a pretty constant speed powering electric wheel motors with a battery bank that supplements the generator for accelerating.
I think I saw on here at one time someone's invention where the generator and battery pack was in a small trailer with heavy power cables running up into the van,
Well - its an idea anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the term is called an 'ev pusher'

A trailer with generator to extend the range of an EV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: