Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

running tach wires/getting the length
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmarino929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: running tach wires/getting the length Reply with quote

So I did use the search function and found some info about how to wire a tach but didnt see any about running the wires through the car (aka specifically a ghia) and where to get wires that are long enough. The tach will sit on the dash above the speaker holes.

So my 2 questions are for anyone who has done this:

1 - Is there a wiring kit that anyone could recommend that I could run from the front to the back of the car. The tach is a sun super tach 2, it has 4 wires to it.

2- Where is the best place to run the wires (under the carpet, etc).

Thanks in advance, this site has save me many times before.
gotitforfree70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just run 1 wire from the coil , to the front with the wiring harness wiring. you'll have to remove the rear interior side panel , the door sills to get to the wiring harness (under the carpet) run it up into the trunk and go from there. All the hot side and lighting part is already right there.
cmarino929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your saying that i need one long wire from the coil that I run thru the car then in the front of the car in the trunk there is a harness where i connect the coil wire and the other three wires as well?
donmurray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. One long green wire from points side of coil to tach. I use the same wire to trigger a relay that powers my electric fuel pump. so pump can only run if coil is firing.

2 A black ground wire from the tach to any of the body ground posts. Brown might be better since that's the standard color for ground. There's usually a group of male spade connectors welded to a vertical piece that supports the cowl.

3. A red gauge power wire. There's a red switched wire coming out of a harness that goes to the ignition switch. This switched red wire goes to fuse block #11 & 12, and then output to various devices such as the coil, horn relay, wipers, etc. You can tap into one of these wires because they are fuse protected. Anytime you tap into a power source, it should be protected by a fuse.

4. Blue wire to illuminate the gauge at night. This can be connected to the black wire that illuminates the standard gauges like fuel.

One problem may be finding all the wire colors in small lengths. You might try a auto repair place to see if they will sell or give you some short pieces. Electronic supply houses or some hardware stores sell by the foot.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is you Ghia? It would be best to run the tach wire with the wire harness to avoid long term exposure to damage. Lying under a carpet exposes wires to abrasion and depending upon the condition of the floor metal can wear the insulation off. For example, if your floor pan is rusty, the rust acts exactly like sandpaper and every time the carpet is stepped upon the insulation is damaged just slightly.

Older Ghia's have a metal tube in the rocker panel the wires are fished through
New Ghia's run the wires on the interior of the car right below the door threshold plate.
At the very least follow the heater channel or the center tunnel to avoid abrasion.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmarino929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Its a 74 ghia and no rust on the pans.

Is there a certain type of wire(s) im supposed to use? Im wondering if a regular auto parts store would have them.

Is the harness in the trunk behind the dash that im supposed to hook up these wires to? Sorry im constantly learning and doing this all solo.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not sure how you'll run a wire back to the coil, you can use the car's existing wire harness to bring the ignition signal up to the tach. VW gave each tail light it's own separate fuse & wire and you can use one of these for the coil/tach connection. You'll need to remove the tar board panels in the engine compartment to expose the tail light wiring. The idea here is to run a jumper wire connecting the two tail lights together and have them both run off one fuse. This frees up one wire to carry the signal from the coil up to the tach. First, disconnect the grey/black wire from the left tail light and extend it to reach the negative terminal on the coil. Then connect the two tail lights together with a jumper wire which can run behind the engine, preferably under the firewall tarboard. Now, at the back side of the fuse box, disconnect that grey/black wire from it's terminal (it's the 4th from left, looking in from the luggage compartment) and run it to the signal connection on the tach. There...now you're good to go without drilling any new holes in your car.
I've been running this setup for years with no problems.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try any decent stereo shop. Not only will they have the cable but it will be high quality and whatever length and color you need. Additionally since you are already there you could ask one of the techs to show you how to safely run the length of wire through your car since this is what they do. They can also provide you with all the proper grommets and terminators to get your wire safely through metal so it does not scrape the insulation and short. Very Happy
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
Bikerchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autozone sells green colored 16 gauge wire that you can use for your wire from the coil. Run that following the wiring harness as others have said. Piggyback the white wire to one of the dash lights for your clock or speedometer. Run the black wire to a ground such as the tab that the wiper motor assembly uses as a ground. Splice the red wire into the fuse block.

Last edited by Bikerchris on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
If you're not sure how you'll run a wire back to the coil, you can use the car's existing wire harness to bring the ignition signal up to the tach. VW gave each tail light it's own separate fuse & wire and you can use one of these for the coil/tach connection. You'll need to remove the tar board panels in the engine compartment to expose the tail light wiring. The idea here is to run a jumper wire connecting the two tail lights together and have them both run off one fuse. This frees up one wire to carry the signal from the coil up to the tach. First, disconnect the grey/black wire from the left tail light and extend it to reach the negative terminal on the coil. Then connect the two tail lights together with a jumper wire which can run behind the engine, preferably under the firewall tarboard. Now, at the back side of the fuse box, disconnect that grey/black wire from it's terminal (it's the 4th from left, looking in from the luggage compartment) and run it to the signal connection on the tach. There...now you're good to go without drilling any new holes in your car.
I've been running this setup for years with no problems.

Great, this is the way to do it and use the existing harness. I believe the original VDO instructions indicate to use the one tail light wires. If you have the engine it it is a little harder but can be done.
cmarino929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow i just got home from work and checked this out, thanks everyone! This is a HUGE help, a testament to ACVW people. I will def use the tips and im sure it wont be a problem now. This site is a blessing for someone who never grew up with these cars (im 32). I wish the watercooled people were as nice and helpful, instead they just tell me to "lower it" haha. No thanks i like my oil pan and front spoiler.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your signature says "Central NJ"

I don't know how you define that but I'm in Middle of Morris County, not far from Chester.
If you are really stuck, contact me via PM if you need some help. We can arrange a time to take a look at what you've got.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmarino929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i live in new providence but my car is in fanwood, and i cruise through chester area frequently in the nice weather (much better area to drive than here haha). Appreciate it, i will give it a shot and if i fail i will let you know haha. Thanks Dave.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: