Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting 78 FI after six years of sitting
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Starting 78 FI after six years of sitting Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I just came back from being out of the country for six years, and got home to find that my bus had been moved out of my garage and into the weather so that my family would have more "storage space" Evil or Very Mad

Luckily, I had the foresight to drain the oil and fuel from the bus, disconnect the battery, and semi-prep it for my departure. I didn't know I was going to be gone for so long, otherwise I probably would have sold it, but c'est la vie, right?

Anyway, I replaced all the fuel hoses in order to prevent an inferno, put new oil in it, and pulled the spark plugs and lubed up the pistons before trying to fire it up. I went ahead and threw a new-old fuel pump in there too as it was leaking.

So now I'm hearing a bunch of strange noises that I have never heard before. The engine turns over but it won't catch and start. Here's a sound file for y'all that I took from right behind the bus.

http://www.wrpartnership.com/tr61670/vwbussounds.mp3

I hear three sounds coming out of there: the engine turning over, a knocking (YIKES!), and a hissing. Any idea what the knocking and the hissing could be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
maximan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a vacuum leak accounts for the hissing sound. Make sure all your spark plug wires are on correctly (in the correct order and on all the way).
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear a battery that needs to be charged to ensure strong cranking and appropriate voltage to run the FI. I also hear the hiss, and it sounds like it is coming from 1 of the 4 cylinders. Check that the plugs are tightened to spec (22ft/lbs as I recall); it could also be leaking from one of the heads, or from an exhaust port. Could be a vacuum leak too.

Back to basics. After the battery is charged, check for spark at the plugs. Also check to see if the fuel pump runs when the key is on and you nudge the flapper in the airbox. Maybe try a teaspoon of fuel down the S-boot as well.

One step at a time, but for now, I would charge the battery, check for spark, and check for fuel.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's a 2.0? the hydraulic lifters have probably leaked down and the valves may not be opening as they should. Add about a half a quart of Marvel mystery oil, it'll help those lifters get unstuck and pump up a little faster, or just pull the lifters and bleed per Bentley.

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking the battery is low which can affect FI working as there is a minimal voltage, and the knock is very hollow. Could be a lifter that is completely collapsed - or a kids toy ball rolling around the fan Smile Or Mr. mouse screaming let me out let me out stop turning....
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, you all rock! I'll try these things and report back.

BTW, total VW newbie here, but one thing I just noticed is that the rod with the spring around it that goes from the accelerator to the thingy on the back left of the engine (sorry for my lack of terminology) is missing. Could this be causing anything?

Thanks again!
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oshima wrote:

BTW, total VW newbie here, but one thing I just noticed is that the rod with the spring around it that goes from the accelerator to the thingy on the back left of the engine (sorry for my lack of terminology) is missing. Could this be causing anything?

Thanks again!

Well apart from a pitiful description, I would assume you are referring to the EGR connector that runs across the width of the bus, or you could also be referring to the rod that connects to the throttle (length of the bus), if you have an automatic. Hard to say, unless you can clarify.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oshima wrote:

Thanks again!

smog test failure if you are in a smog state. Pinging if your engine is lean.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oshima wrote:

Thanks again!

Engine sounds typical for a long sit.
*Charge battery.
*Make sure oil is at upper mark of dipstick.
**Remove, clean, gap (or replace) spark plugs
**Clean and gap (or replace) breaker points - six years of oxidation on points will prevent a decent spark.
*Remove the big hose from the decel valve to the brake booster wye connection. Pour an accurate small cap-from-the-top-of-a-WD-40 can of gasoline down the hose (any spill must be cleaned up and allowed to evaporate). Put hose back on decel valve.

Engine will now start. Do not race it, let it wake up slowly and give it just a nice easy slightly fast idle for a minute or two with some mellow rev ups to help clean the cobwebs out.
Colin
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guys. I went ahead and gapped and replaced the spark plugs, and gapped and replaced the points (if I get this thing up and running, I'm switching to electronic). The battery was sitting for six years, but I took it down to the shop and they ran some tests and said it was fine. I've had it on a charge for a few days now to try and wake it back up.

I'll let you guys know how it works.

If any of you are around Knoxville ever, let me know and I'll buy you a beer!
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After those hydro lifters have sat so long you'll definitely be in "Knocksville" when you crank it up. Laughing They should quiet down pretty quick though.

RedHeadedJosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why where you away from your VW for 6 Years?
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he says as the troops come back from the sandbox

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE! Fired up the bus today after gapping and replacing plugs and charging battery for 48 hours, and poured some mystery oil into it and it begrudgingly started. I've never heard such a loud noise come out of four cylinders Smile

Anyway, the knocking went away and so did the hissing. I haven't done the points yet, but I will soon. I let it warm up for about an hour I managed to drive it down to the local gas station to put some air in the tires and gas in the tank. I got there and it was smoking badly from the air ducts on the back, and I thought I was going to have to grab a fire extinguisher when I realized it was just burning off all the old crud that had accumulated on the outside of the engine. Looked good after all!

UNFORTUNATELY the bus wouldn't idle. I backed the idle screw out almost all the way and the idle got faster but it just died after a few seconds no matter what. I jury rigged the throttle to stay open just a little bit so I could take the bus to the gas station and then to my new house a mile away.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do for the idle to make it work? Will a points/valve adjustment save it? Am I missing a spring? (the throttle only has the accelerator cable going to it - that's it). I also have to manually pull the accelerator out of position with my foot in order to keep it from staying in place.

Thanks again - will get videos up soon!

Mal evolent wrote:
he says as the troops come back from the sandbox

Ha, nothing like that; I took a job as a high school teacher in Japan for a few years, then moved to Cambodia to work for a nonprofit for awhile.
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check all your vacuum hoses, chances are you've got a leak somewhere that's causing your idle issues.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how old is the gas? Was it sitting in a can for a long time? Old fuel won't run right.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: