Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2176cc's for my Type1
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Synth is a lot easier to shift when it gets below freezing outside.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Synth is a lot easier to shift when it gets below freezing outside.

Okay. I'll stick with synthetic GL5.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Vroom vroom.....any of the naysayers want to cruise on up to Oregon and run it? I've only got a "lazy" XR310. ....Lol...... Laughing ......this motor is badass Twisted Evil ......170 hp? Nope.....it's pushing at least 185.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

fivelugshortaxle wrote:
Vroom vroom.....any of the naysayers want to cruise on up to Oregon and run it? I've only got a "lazy" XR310. ....Lol...... Laughing ......this motor is badass Twisted Evil ......170 hp? Nope.....it's pushing at least 185.

Run the car down the 1/4 mile and post the time slip. We can tell you how much HP you really have.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Ive never seen any eaten up brass from my gl5, synthetic I run.penisoil synthetic marine stuff. of corse like everything I do add some other things to it.annjamimas mapole suryp makes it real stickey to climb the gears better than mucas crap...... Shocked ( no i aint tellen all of what I put in, thats my disclaimer).
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:

Run the car down the 1/4 mile and post the time slip. We can tell you how much HP you really have.

I built almost the exact engine for a friend. 12.70's @ 106-7 at 1900lb in a 1967 beetle. What HP is that...
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
fivelugshortaxle wrote:

I built almost the exact engine for a friend. 12.70's @ 106-7 at 1900lb in a 1967 beetle. What HP is that...

Twisted Evil
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

I put Murzi's numbers in an online calculator and one indicated 168HP and the other 180HP-so average them out at 174.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Either way....plenty happy with it. Sucked the intake gasket on the 3-4 side. Talked to Dave at CB and he said they'll use Loctite 518 on heads with big ports...no gasket. Sounds good to me. Oil temps were at their highest when I noticed the intake leak on the 1-2 side that was also causing a chirp chirp sound. Put on a new gasket and oil temps dropped. Noticed a chirp chirp sound slightly less audible on the 1-2 side accompanied with rising oil temps again.....makes sense....vacuum leak at manifold essentially causing it to run lean. Lean equals hot. Ordered the 518 and 3 sets of new big beef manifold gaskets. I'll put new gaskets on again amd torque the itake manifold bolts a little at a time alternating bolts and see if that helps to seal the gasket better. They suck another gasket and I'll try the 518.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
I put Murzi's numbers in an online calculator and one indicated 168HP and the other 180HP-so average them out at 174.

Most of those online calculators are flawed as they are designed for BIG heavy cars. Maybe someone like Neil68 can chime in with actual HP numbers it took him to run different times. I believe 174 is on the low side.... for 106-7 mph in a car that weighs 1965lbs with driver. No matter what the HP... sub 13's in a N/A beetle on the street in hauling...at least for me.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

modok wrote:

Add the venturi ring and try it. Cut the scoop off and try it. If buying an entirety new shroud and cooler would improve matters then go ahead, but I don't know it would.

I really wanted to try these one at a time to see which made the biggest difference, but ended up doing them all at once. And the result was notable and good (larger t4 cooler, enlarged intake slot, and venturi ring). The venturi ring, that little widget makes a very obvious difference. Sucked some of my wiring harness right off the firewall, and will try to drag your hand in as well. The suction it creates is much greater than with no ring.

And yes, the urethane mounts blow. The bolts come loose and they want to fall off,because they know they don't belong there. If you have a mid mount and frame horn brace set correctly, good stock mounts will handle more abuse than people think. I've not tried the CB rhino mounts, but people do seem to like them.
SD
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

30 years ago the red poly trans mounts sucked and they haven't gotten any better. We keep trying to tell people not to waste their money but they won't listen...

As usual, just my 2 1/2 cents (I'm Canadian, eh). Al
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

esde wrote:
modok wrote:

Add the venturi ring and try it. Cut the scoop off and try it. If buying an entirety new shroud and cooler would improve matters then go ahead, but I don't know it would.

I really wanted to try these one at a time to see which made the biggest difference, but ended up doing them all at once. And the result was notable and good (larger t4 cooler, enlarged intake slot, and venturi ring). The venturi ring, that little widget makes a very obvious difference. Sucked some of my wiring harness right off the firewall, and will try to drag your hand in as well. The suction it creates is much greater than with no ring.

And yes, the urethane mounts blow. The bolts come loose and they want to fall off,because they know they don't belong there. If you have a mid mount and frame horn brace set correctly, good stock mounts will handle more abuse than people think. I've not tried the CB rhino mounts, but people do seem to like them.
SD

I added venturi ring to my shroud. I believe I've diagnosed the problem. Not only did I use the smaller 8mm and not 10mm oil cooler seals, I torqued that bitch down like I was on steroids. Those passages have got to be tiny. The vacuum leaks at the i takes aren't helping either....I saw the oil temps improve immediately after I fixed the 1-2 side that sucked the gasket. Now the 3-4 side has sucked the gasket.....I can hear it on acceleration. Head temps are great. I just picked up a bag of 10mm donut gaskets for the cooler and will be torqu8ng cooler nuts to 5ft lbs. Problem should disappsar immediately.
I remember an old VW guy when I was a kid telling me about not tightening those past spec as if will cause the holes in the donut gasket to squeeze much smaller and cause your oil temps to rise....cooler isn't getting a good, unobstructed flow of oil through it. Stupid me but it'll be fixed this weekend. And I got some 518 that CB recommends to use with heads that have big intake ports.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

ALB wrote:
30 years ago the red poly trans mounts sucked and they haven't gotten any better. We keep trying to tell people not to waste their money but they won't listen...

As usual, just my 2 1/2 cents (I'm Canadian, eh). Al
I got the black ones.....still poly....still suck. Hahahaha....they couldn't handle the power Twisted Evil
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Don't use gaskets when you use the 518. The head surface should be flat. Make sure the manifold face is sanded flat. Apply a thin bead of 518 to the head, and bolt them together. No gasket. The gaskets just keep it from tightening down so they will work loose again. Think case halve parting line.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Don't use gaskets when you use the 518. The head surface should be flat. Make sure the manifold face is sanded flat. Apply a thin bead of 518 to the head, and bolt them together. No gasket. The gaskets just keep it from tightening down so they will work loose again. Think case halve parting line.

Brian

Yep
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

The oil cooler seals are made to work in such a way that you tighten the parts and they will come together metal to metal, and the springiness of the o-ring does the sealing. So... the torque should be appropriate for the bolts used but should not make any difference to the seals.

I think you had the wrong seals in there, or they didn't fit right for some reason or another.

It is true the gasket sets come with a large number of them useless seals, which might be confusing.

It might also be the intake gaskets would be better off thinner. .015-.020 thick material. I don't really know how thick yours are but if they are just the same type ones that they include with buying manifolds.....those are quite thick!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

just remember leen cracks heads, and leen can also drop seats. dont leen on it when its not right. I kinda do like 2 things bug poop made...the "O"ring cam plug and...the..paper oil cooler gasket.I like the gaskets better than the seals.no restriction at all.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

If you ask me, just as a general principle, using an o-ring is always a bad idea. I have so many stories about o-ring disasters, I could wright a book about it.

Good luck with your 0-ring cam plug mark Razz It might be real handy but if it leaks......sure not easy to change, is it Twisted Evil
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2176cc's for my Type1 Reply with quote

modok wrote:
The oil cooler seals are made to work in such a way that you tighten the parts and they will come together metal to metal, and the springiness of the o-ring does the sealing. So... the torque should be appropriate for the bolts used but should not make any difference to the seals.

I think you had the wrong seals in there, or they didn't fit right for some reason or another.

It is true the gasket sets come with a large number of them useless seals, which might be confusing.

It might also be the intake gaskets would be better off thinner. .015-.020 thick material. I don't really know how thick yours are but if they are just the same type ones that they include with buying manifolds.....those are quite thick!

My cooler seals were the smaller 8mm ones....I should have used the 10mm ones. And yes, the gaskets aren't very thin. I'm going to try the gaskets again witb a tad bit of the orange, gold rtv ....very thin coat on both sides of gasket....and todque the nuts down a little at a time alternating nuts.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
CB 1.4 rockers
NGK D7ea plugs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Jump to:
Page 93 of 102

Jump to: