Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The master cylinder is dead.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bradey Bunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had problems in the past even installing BRAND NEW brand name MCs on other cars... one van required 3 MCs to get ONE that worked. I do not even touch rebuilt masters either because of the issues associated with those. I did try a NOS one that blew the seals within a day, which was pretty scary.

It is going to cost money to keep one of these going, so spend the money where it counts. Brakes are not something to skimp on.

This is why I recommended a re sleeve, IMO it is the only way to do it right.
Hamsterben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered another rebuilt one mostly for the cylinder its self. i will most likely install a rebuild kit if it does not work properly. If all else fails i can weld a mount together for a van master cylinder but id rather have a stock master.
bb412
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: the master cylinder Reply with quote

hi,,if you d,t find one at your choise,,you can oder one to,,,the past-parts. com,, they are in ,,UK,,and they sale fresh remain ,, for all the mc,,cluth mc or cluth slave,,all the hydrolic things,,,tork convertor too,,,for the 411-412 at a faire price ,, 30 PS,,or 50.-60$,, to my home,,for a cluth slave,,they are on ebay,, very good quality on her job,,cheer,,bb412
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before jumping into things everyone needs to know and understand just what the deal/deals are with the type 4 master cylinder.

(1) There were two makes: FAG and ATE. Both are extremely similar and interchangeable...but the internal pistons are not. Even though the stroke lengths are the same on each cylinder...the pistons are slightly different and therefore lead to differnt drillings for the compensation and feed ports.

(2) The seals from a type 3 of the same make (not the pistons...the seals and flap valves) will rebuild a type 4 cylinder if the bore iss clean the pistons are not corroded. The seals are very slightly different for each make of piston design. Do not mix them. They can work when mixed...or not. been there...done that. Bad method.

(3) Warning....welding a bracket to the cluster and using a late model super beetle dual circuit AtE cylinder does not work well. Been there and done that back in about 2000. The volumes or pressures are not quite right even though the stroke length is very similar.

(4) The issue that destroys the type 4 cylinder most of the time are rust ridge forming at the opening to the bore that destroys the outer shaft seal and causes leakage and air entrance. It rusts because its inside the car (and most of these cars have at least small leaks so lots of humidity)...and no airflow to get th hunidity out of the way.

(3) Th other issue is water in the brake fluid causes corrosion between the brass flap valves and the pistion faces causing pressure leakage or stuck valves.

If you can find seals....the type 4 cylinder is easily rebuilt as long as ther are no rust pits more than .002" deep. Also if there are scores in the length of the bore that have rust in them....the cylinder is shot.

Brake cylinders should not be honed for more than a few sedconds on low speed. You can remove surface rust but then you need to lap the bore smooth...no hone marks.....with 1000 grit or better. You must not expand the bore size more than about ,001" max...because you cannot get oversized pistons.

The pistons...if uncorroded...will never wear out. They do not contact the bore. They are smaller than the bore and teh cups keep them centered.

I have come to the conclusion that the best mod is to build the underdash bracket and adjustable transfer rocker that the power brake model used....then drill out the MC mounting stamping in the trunk....and install a 21mm bus master cylinder with an adjustable proportioning valve in the back in place of the stock fixed one.

I have a 5 gallon bucket of type 4 master cylinder cores Im about to chuck when I move. Its just npt worth it. A trunk mounted master cylinder may not be original...but it will look factory...and work perfectly. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hamsterben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered two master cylinders from different people and both were not shipped however I was refunded I'm still pissed.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you are ready Now to have yours sleeved/rebuilt by www.applehydraulics.com or your local Brake Shop. Have you even called any local Brake Shops? Rolling Eyes
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone actually try order the BRAND NEW Raybestos master cylinder or not? According to current their own application guide that I just checked, they are available (even the picture shows the correct part). If available, I wouldn't jack around with anything else for stock performance- waste of time and money!
Bradey Bunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for what its worth, I had my parts guy check out the raybestos part, and it was NLA. maybe someone else has better luck?
Hamsterben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked Napa auto parts and they have them advertised so I ordered one and we will see if I get one this time.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....I have order the TRIED to order the Raybestos part no less than 6 times. each time I get somethong that is actually a type 3 part. This is over a span of 10 years.

Skip it.

If your cylinder does not have pits or scores deeper than .002" or corroded piston faces where the brass flap valves sit....you can rebuild them as good as any factory by buying a type 3 master cylinder of the same make....or a mid-80's rabbit/golf master cylinder an stealing the seals out of either.

There is no local brake shop anywhere than can give you any assistance at all. To do so....they would have to have kits (which they cannot get any easier than you can)....and your cylinder would have to be in proper shape.

This is what I am getting at. Most people do not know how the cylinders operate or why....or why they fail.

They are very simple......but very specific in what they require. If you hone one...and make it oversize by too far or leave hone marks in it....you may as well just throw it in the trash. In the old days.....like 1970's or easrly 80's.....a brake shop "could" rebuild the average american master cylinder because you could get oversize psiton kits. These have never been made ever...for most VW's..and especially not type 4's.

If the rust is too deep for very light honing for cleam up...the cylinder is shot.
You have to get the same make of seal that works for the piston for that make.
None of this is hard...it just has to be right. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
So, you are ready Now to have yours sleeved/rebuilt by www.applehydraulics.com or your local Brake Shop. Have you even called any local Brake Shops? Rolling Eyes

So what good is sleeving (which is nice)....if they cannot get the proper seals? This is a bigger issue for most than the bore condition. Ray
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could All listen to Ray tell us "it can't be done" all the time OR we could contact Apple Hydraulics/ local Brake Shop?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bradey Bunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck is a flap valve? Never heard that terminology before Ray.

Braden
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradey Bunch wrote:
What the heck is a flap valve? Never heard that terminology before Ray.

Braden

I use that terminology because its descriptive enough that most people know which part I am talking about...because most do not know the correct name for the part which is the compensation port valve.

You have two of these in each master cylinder. In 80% of most rebuilds that do not function well...this is the part most people screw up. Very Happy Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
We could All listen to Ray tell us "it can't be done" all the time OR we could contact Apple Hydraulics/ local Brake Shop?

Well thats bullshit.....where in any of these posts did I say it cant be done. Point it out please.

To date...I've successfully rebuilt about 60+ mostly type 4 and a few type 3 mixed in...master cylinders.

They have issues that primarily come from being mounted inside of the car where airflow is poor for drying purposes and typically....humidity is high.

Having lived back to back in Atlanta and then Dallas....both humid places with lots of temperature change and rain....and not have the worlds most watertight 412 spanning those nearly two decades between those cities...I have to (at times) replace my master cylinder yearly. Once or twice...even twice a year.

Sound familiar to those who have had this happen? Wink

The failure point is not that the cylinders do not work. Its that they start to leak, dripping fluid inside of the car. Thats the beginning sign. If they continue to leak...and they will....the area at the outside end of the mastercylinder under the retaining washer and clip will rust quickly when constantly immersedi n fluid.
That rust then gouges the end of the bore..defeating the outer shaft seal. Usually the crap that gets pulled in will score the bore making the cylinder unrebuildable.

I found the best policy for quite a while was to just pull it out every spring, clean it....spend $15 on a seal kit for a type 3 cylinder of the same make....throw away the pistons and just keep the seals and compensate port valves.

This saved my mint condition carpet and relays and cardboard fascia under the steering column. Small price to pay.

My issue with working my ass off and paying through the nose for a sleeved cylinder is that if its mounted in the same location undert the dash...in the same climate...it will eventually have the same issue. Slower yes.....but the same.

Contrary to popular mythology...stainless rusts, especially when its mixed with oxygen and brake fluid...and even worse with an acid. Yeah its slow....but....even if it never rusts, when it eventually wears out the seals....it will still leak inside of your car all over the place. And removing, rebuilding and reinstalling leaves your vehicle stinking from brake fluid.

I think a better option is to build the relay lever assembly like that which was used on the power brake model...and put the master cylinder in the trunk where it belongs.

The stamping for the mount is already in the body...both left and right hand drive. look for it...its under the carpet on the trunk deck to the left of the resorvoir as you are looking at it.

I'm not saying sleeving is not good....just that its an expensive option for a less than perfect result. Also...they need to be very good at it.

By the way, a general rebuild on a type 4 cylinder is very simple. There are a few rules to follow...but its simple.
1) measure the bore and compare to the book. If its more than about .002" oversized....throw it away.

2) If its not oversized yet...hone it sloooowly with oil for no more than 10-20 seconds at a time with the finest hone you can find....nothing less than 280.

3). measure frequently. stop when all rusts and pist are gone. If you are at .002" oversized or less...and its clean...congratulations. You are lucky.
If you hit .002" and it still has pits in it....throw the cylinder away.

4) clean up the piston faces under the brass compensation port valves with a very fine oil stone. Same with the brass valves. Make sure just wetting the flap valves with fluid causest hem to stick fast to teh faces with a perfect seal.

5) the hone marks should be lapped down...preferably so they are gone if you have enough room...but hitting them with 800 grit and then 1000 grit gives a plateau finsih that will make sealing better...and not wear out the seals.

6) wash everything in alcohol or solvent and lube with fluid and assemble and install immediately.

I just threw away a 5 gallon bucket with about 30 cores in it that are not rebuildable. I have another one somewhere that will go the same way. I just think there are much better options out there than putting this thing back under the dash where it can leak on important parts.

Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way....yes...I have looked at Apple Hydraulics site. I'm sure they have the skills since this is all they do.

What I would like to point out...is that they are sleeving these with brass. No the way I would go if I were sleeving them. I would use stainless.

The brass sleeved cylinder while precise...will have not much longer of a life (if any) than a stock cylinder. Brass corodes quite well in the prescence of water, oxygen and brake fluid so all the same rules apply...bleed often, catch the leaks when they start and tear it down early.

If you notice the list of makes and models on their site....they serve cars that are very old, currently obscure....that you generally cannot get cylinders or rebuild parts for at all. Add to that....most of the cores available for those cars are far oversized already. The sleeving is the only option to get an opo=erating cylinder at all.

We have it bad....but not quite that bad yet. We at least have other options for the moment. Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies for my snappy remark earlier Mike Fisher Crying or Very sad

I realize that you also are looking for answers for these parts. I have spent the better part of 33 years working on type 4's and I forget that not everyone has beenfoloowing along. In my 10,000 plus posts on STF...many are brake and hydraulic related and almost all are type 4. I forget that many here do not hang out there and probably have not read most of it. So I sometimes feel that we are just rehashing old issues.
Sorry.

So...maybe I should get into type 4 master cylinders a bit more. It may help.

OEM make

There were two brands of cylinder used by the factory: FAG and ATE.

The stroke lengths are identical...but there are no interchangeable parts. Why?
Because the vent hole drillings for fluid ingress/egress are not in the exact same place. If you get an ATE piston next to an FAG piston...you will see the subtle differences as well as the cast in part # differences.
Also....due to different thicknesses of slots and piston heads..the seal designs were just slightly different enough to not work. ATE parts will not fit FAG and vice-versa.

This same holds true for the power brake units. So for rebuild kits there are four kits: One each FAG and ATE for power and one each FAG and ATE for non-power.
There were also four different kits available from Schaffer...superb rebuild kits...again two power two non-power for ATE and FAG respectively. I have not seen those in 20 years.

At some point I think Wagner made a replacement cylinder that was different still. Saw one....did not buy it....long ago.

Many of you note that you have bought cylinders that did not work. How did they not work? explain please? Some may be age..some may be corrosion...some may just need cleaning.

The differences in make of cylinder are generally not carefully noted in third world rebuild houses. I have bought numerous rebuilds over the years that when opened...had the wrong piston set and seals inside. They would never work. One more good reason to always open them up to clean them.

Yes...about two years old on the shelf and without excercise and brake fluid..the seals can harden up and take a set and not floex properly. NOS is not great unless you know how old it is.

No matter the make or age of the cylinder..even brand new....it must be stripped and cleaned with alcohol. If you are not doing this....many of your failed cylinders may be your own fault.

Why is this?

Because they use COAL OIL based brake paste to assemble them! Brake paste sucks.....again....brake paste SUCKS. Evil or Very Mad
Its probably not too bad if you use it sparingly and install the cylinder soon....but its basically not much differnt than an EPR rubber compatible grease. As you apply it...it picks up the mositure in the air.
If it sits on the shelf for a year or two...it congeals...thickens...and usually glues the brass compensation port valves to their mating faces on the piston...effectively disabling the cylinder.

Also its not uncommon to find green corrosion between the brass and aluminum parts in a brand new master cylinder. This is caused by moisture entrained in the brake assembly paste during assembly. It can ruin the pistons. Its the 2nd leading cause of NoS brake cylinders failing to work.

Also...brake part plants are not clean rooms. They are sweat shops. You woul be stunned at the amount of grit and crap that comes out of a brand new unit when you clean it.

Type 4 master cylinders have always been scarce. I got my first 1972 vw 411 in 1979. It had 55,000 miles on it. I couldn't get a new master cylinder even then...without ordering through VW and waiting for it to come from Germany. Remans were just as hard to get because the car was already rarely seen. But rebuild kits were readily available...and almost always not the one you needed.

My point with this whole diatribe is that the type 4 brake master cylinder was another one of those odd defects that the type 4 had. Its location was detrimental to its health and to the helath of so many other soft parts inside the car that are just plain not replaceable.

Many people lately just getting into these cars really need to realize that you cannot count on parts being handy...and you cannot drive them until a part fails. The only way I have found to guarantee that every 3-5 years...your cylinder wil not leak and rust....sending you on an ever harder parts chase for a new one.....is to invest serious maintenace.

I found that if you pull the master cylinder about every 1 to 1.5 years max...and simply lap away any growing rust from seepage before it forms the rust ridge that kills both seal set and cylinder....you can drive on that cylinder for the rest of your life...no kidding!

If you don't allow it to rust or get crap in the fluid....there will never be ANY wear on that cylinder. The pistons do not contact the bore. Clean it out every 1 to 1.5 years and put in new seals every 5 years...and you are good to go. To much work for you?

Then go the other route....install a cylinder in the trunk where the power brake cylinder went. It allows using bigger, easy to get cylinders...and solves the rust issue. Not beacuse it prevents it to much better (but it is better)...but because when it starts to drip...I just throw it away and buy another one for cheap and its easier to replace.

To those who have the fetish that they want original design brake cylinders...not a modified brake system (I know you have to in Germany)....I say that unless your car is concours condition....you are just whacking off.
Fenders, doors, glass, rubber...even seats...sure keep it original parts. Brake parts make no difference. If they work perfectly and I can make them fit...like using a bus master cylinder mounted in the trunk....I will. That will be the difference between reliably driving your car and watching it rust into the ground while you look for a good used cylinder on she-bay.

Having the cylinder sleeved is a good fix for having to replace the cylinder when the seals crap out...but does not fix the hideous problem of fluid all over the place when you have to pull it out. Thats why I'm just not into spending that much money. If I had stayed with the original master cylinder design...I would still be doing the once a year maintenance. For what a sleeved cylinder costs...I can do that about 10 times.
Just some things to think about. Ray
Bradey Bunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ray (though I must admit to skimming through a bit), and when he talked about using non original parts he hit the nail on the head, in fact he is the one who recommended the bus CLUTCH master cylinder that I currently have in my car...

Looking through Wilwood and jamar and other catalogs there seem to be alot of remote resevoir MCs available with a pedal and linkage which is where I would start looking if I needed one.

Braden

and Ray, IMO compensation port makes alot more sense Smile
Hamsterben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for the idea of moving the master cylinder. How should I go about doing that?
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this link on the shoptalk forum
http://www.vwnorge.no/index.php/topic,32276.0.html

As Ray pointed out in the shoptalk forum, the bracket needs some adjusting but this looks like an ok solution although I would use a bus cylinder instead of a $275 porsche cylinder.

Here is the shoptalk forum discussion:
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=110018&hilit=master+cylinder&start=30
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: