Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upcoming Trip to Charleston, SC & Gulf Shores, AL
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Bateman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Upcoming Trip to Charleston, SC & Gulf Shores, AL Reply with quote

I am planning a mid to late February trip from Central Virginia to the Gulf Coast. Main purpose is to visit my brother who lives in Auburn, AL so the whole thing has to kinda center around there.
I am also hoping to avoid most if not all contact with the Interstates since my Westy likes 60 - 65 mph and the more relaxed pace of US highways.

I was thinking of heading towards Willmington, NC and then heading South towards that National Forest just North and West of Charleston, SC (name escapes me now - Marion maybe?).
Any experience with camping in that area?
Favorite areas, places to avoid, etc?

From Charleston I was planning to cut across Georgia to the West Point area and then down to Auburn to see my brother for a couple of days.
Leaving Auburn I'd like to head down to the Gulf Coast for a day or 2. Maybe in the Gulf Shores, AL area.
Any favorite places to camp/see in that area?

Been making this trip for many years but always straight down I-85 at a rapid pace and straight back the same way.
Would like to make this trip a little more relaxed and do some camping.

Any advise about those areas appreciated.

Sam Bateman
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use Reserve America web site for reference to park closures,camping,directions,etc. A lot of parks are closed after November except for day use. Check before you go...http://www.reserveamerica.com/

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just returned from several days in TN, GA and AL and the state parks we tried all had camping, though some with closed loops and fewer spots available. We had no trouble rolling in at any hour and just registering the next day. One thing about Georgia SP campgrounds is that they tend to be about $10 more than other states for comparable sites, partly because you must also pay a $5 park pass in addition to the camping fee. This can add up over several days.

*edit*

I just remembered the tea plantation we visited on the outskirts of Charleston. If you drink tea you should go. It's the only one in the continental US, they say.

Last edited by campism on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
westyman71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The missus and I were just in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area about 3 months ago. We go to this area usually every year.

Camping in the Gulf Shores area, I like Gulf State Park. Nice facilities. Although the camping is located across the main road from the beach (about 1.5 miles), they have a nice pavilion on the beach with parking, restrooms, etc...

If you like shrimp, etc... the Shrimp Basket on 59 and 2nd in Gulf Shores is pretty good. Just your simple po boys, etc.. If you have never been to Lambert's in Foley, you have to go and go hungry. Lambert's is the home of the throwed rolls. Food is good and they have persons who come along with bowls of "pass arounds" to supplement the cooking. Servings are large there, so be prepared.

Franco's Italian Restaurant at 25241 Perdido in Orange Beach (near the Walmart Market) is really good too.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam - I live in Charleston.
Best bets:
Huntington Beach State Park between Murrells Inlet and Pawleys Island, SC
You should also explore the old village of Georgetown, SC and definitely, definitely MUST drive into the old village of McClellanville on your way south and eat dinner or lunch at TW Graham's. The owner "Pirate Pete" is a good surf buddy of mine, a hell of a chef and the place is just oozing with character.
Best camping bet south of McVille is Buck Hall Campground in the Francis Marion National forest. It's on an amazing trail called the Palmetto trail that runs between marsh and forest - terrific Mtn biking or hiking.
You also should take the Bull Island Ferry out to Bull Island - a huge undeveloped barrier island with great surfing/shelling/forests/biking. Contact Coastal Expeditions in Charleston - the ferry leaves regularly.
You should also stop off in Awendaw after Bull Island and eat at Seewee Restaurant.
In Charleston, there's just a ton to do. Might check out the NYTimes "Charleston on the Cheap" that I wrote. We live out by Folly Beach and have an apt that we rent under our house cheap. It's very kickass. Shoot me a line if you want to know more.
Chris D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just on the edges of Charleston is a county park campground
http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?NID=1434

also we've camped at EDISTO beach state park, while not quite on your route.. it's a AWESOME campground with direct access to the ocean from your campsite.

in Wilmington we ate at a GREAT earthy burrito joint Flaming Amy's

I do NOT recommend Carolina Beach State park in the Cape Fear area of NC. we had a horrible experiance, there's no doors on the shower stalls and they lock you in & out @ 8pm to ~8am (read the fine print on the reservatrions page) this caused our group of travelling VWs on the Sunshine Treffen to have to camp at the Wilmington, NC KOA a fairly nice and friendly place. they even worked with us on the pricing.. in our emergancy..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sam Bateman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
Sam - I live in Charleston.
Best bets:
Huntington Beach State Park between Murrells Inlet and Pawleys Island, SC
Chris D

Thanks Chris, Huntington Beach was already on my list of places to visit.
Looks like the campground there might be my destination for the first evening.

As a person of some mis-adventures with sailing and a fascination with the Outer Banks and all the shipwreaks there, your book has really caught my interest.
I'll have to get a copy to read on this trip!!
Sam Bateman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all the information.
I'm still trying to plan this trip and it now looks like I will have to cram the whole thing into 7 days.
So obviously I will not be able to go everywhere nor do everything I wanted.
But I will print this thread out and use it to try and get as much as I can out of this trip.

Sam Bateman
grittysoutherngirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to the Gulf Shores, I would drive across the state line to Perdido Key, FL and camp out at Johnson Beach or Big Lagoon State Park. Or If you stay in Alabama, you can check out Pirates Cove in Josephine, AL. It's on the water and the camping is free. Also happens to be the home of Jimmy Buffet's cheeseburger in paradise.

http://photobucket.com/franthevan
Sam Bateman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates Cove - is that just a Marina or do they have a campground there as well?

And another question about that area - is there a campground at or near Fort Morgan? It'd be pretty neat to camp at the mouth of Mobile Bay.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want a free overnight in charleston, go to murray boulevard we parked there for the day for free, and spoke to someone who lived local they said it would not be a problem us overnighting there
make sure you find jestines kitchen, we had a real nice meal in there Very Happy

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grittysoutherngirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Bateman wrote:
Pirates Cove - is that just a Marina or do they have a campground there as well?

And another question about that area - is there a campground at or near Fort Morgan? It'd be pretty neat to camp at the mouth of Mobile Bay.

Pirates Cove is a marina, a road house, and restaurant. It is quite the experience. For years you could only get there by boat which is how I discovered it. It an interesting mix of people, plenty of zany characters and some of the coolest house boats I have ever seen are there. There is a campground and it's free to camp there right on the water. For years it was a locals only, word of mouth kind of place but in the past couple of years that has changed some; however it's not commercialized yet. And seriously, the cheeseburgers are that good.

http://piratescoveriffraff.com/Pirates_Cove/Skull.html

As far as Ft. Morgan, www.fortmorganrvpark.com and www.baybreezerv.com are the two closest ones that I know of.

http://photobucket.com/franthevan
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're doing a similar trip at about the same time, although, a) we plan to take more time and b) we'll be heading to Marathon (Boot Key) to meet up with friends already there by boat. In any case, we'll be sticking close to the Atlantic coast all the way down from about Beaufort, NC.

Anyway, this is out first Westy camping trip. We've done a similar trip by boat, down the Intracoastal Waterway, so we have some sense of the area and living in fairly tight quarters. But it's the specifics of living in a Westy as well as finding places to camp that we're feeling challenged by.
Sam Bateman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm with you on the time thing.
I'd really like to take two weeks and make this a real trip but.... I'm still having to work for a living.
Hopefully, It'll be warm enough on the Gulf Coast to make a February trip pleasant.
I do know that it gets pretty damn cold that time of year in Auburn, AL, which is only 150 miles or so North of the Gulf....

I had my maiden/shake-down trip in this Westy back in October when I spent a week on the Outer Banks.
I couldn't have been more pleased.
Only problem I had was a windshield wiper blade break loose in a driving rainstorm.
Thankfully I had applied Rain-Ex before leaving!
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam, let me know if you come through CHS. You can just post up in our driveway for the nite if you need. We live on the water out by Folly Beach and you can kayak out of our backyard.

Hope you like the book - Here's a review Surfline did of it - that includes a talk I was asked to give about it at Google. What an honor.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/book-review-ghost-wave_62467/

CD
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ferry trip at Ft Morgan, Al. was fun, any ferry in a bus is fun though. I enjoyed any trip through Folly Beach, SC and Edisto, SC too.
Sam Bateman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Leaving on Sunday Reply with quote

Headin out on Sunday morning for my whirlwind tour of the South.
Plan is to spend Sunday night at Huntington Beach, SC, Monday night at Hunting Island State Park, SC, and Tuesday night in Josephine, AL.
Beyond that is sorta up to the weather but need to return to VA Sunday, the 26th.

Westy's all buffed and ready to go.
Fresh coolant, thermostat, oil and filter, and new O2 sensor.
And a fresh re-fill on the propane (0.8 gal to re-fill after using the fridge for 8 straight days last Fall and occasional cooking).
Bout as good as she's gonna get - and running sweet.
Lookin forward to a nice, relaxing drive without the bother of Interstates.

Sam Bateman
Arvonia, VA
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! from Wellington, FL (West Palm Beach area) after completing much of the initial drive you're looking at. The Hunting[whatever] camp sites are both good ones. If possible, take the ferry from Ft. Fisher (south of Carolina Beach, NC) to Southport, NC - $5 for your crew and Westy. Ft. Fischer's an interesting stop and Southport has a lot to recommend it, too.
Sam Bateman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the State Parks at Huntington Beach and Hunting Island come highly recommended.
And I'll try to check-out Ft Fisher and Southport on my way down.
I just hope the weather is mild enough for my little ceramic cube heater to keep me from freezing till I can get to the Gulf Coast!

Happy trails on your trip.

Sam Bateman
Arvonia, VA
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, we used one of these heaters and did well with temps as low as the low 20's. Obviously, personal preferences vary but for us a 1500 watt ceramic cube worked well.

Also, for the record, the fridge in propane mode, worked well, too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: