Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me figure out this overheating problem
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

Been in the VW scene for a long time. First bug 1984. Most of my vws have been stock or mostly stock. Just acquired a new to me 65 Vert. I do not have a lot of experience with a setup like this. 2276, Mahle pistons and cylinders. Total seal rings, DPR crank. Eagle 120 cam. Heads worked by brothers. Stage 2 porting? Scat 1.25 rockers, chromolly pushrods set at zero lash. 44 Spanish IDF webers. 60 idle, 155 main. 200 air correction f11 tubes. Carbs are synced and adjusted. CB distributor and coil. 30 degree advanced at rpm. A1 sidewinder exhaust. Full flow to a remote filter and cooler with fan and electric thermostat. Claude buggies deep sump. Scat oil pump (unsure which pump) missing front firewall tin. Engine seems to run great and has good power. Compression checked when warm showed cylinders 1 145, cylinders 2 140, cylinders 3 135, cylinders 4 140. From what I'm told there is 3200 miles on this build and motor. When I got it it did not have any guages. I've added vdo temp and pressure guages so far. Oil pressure when cold is 40psi at idle. 65-70 at rpms. When it was hot it was 20 psi at idle and about 45-50psi at rpms. Running valviline vr1 20-50

Heres my problem. Have only used it to go to a few meets in town. 20 min of city driving in 100 degree heat last weekend and I'm up to 180 degrees before I get 10 mins from my house. By the time I get to my meet I'm creeping over 220. I know that's not too hot yet but that seems awfully hot in a short amount of time. I'll going to try a freeway drive for 30 mins one way next day off I get to see what it does. For you guys that have experience with big motor builds, do I have reason for concern or does this seem normal? My bus with a 1915 dual 40s has never seen 220 up hill on the freeway during the summer. Are my expectations too high?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

I would never use 20/50 in a new engine, if built properly the oil clearances should be tight. I would drop to 10/30 VR1, thats what I use in all my engines.

that being said, with a remote cooler, its not like you're relying solely on the stock cooler and possibly bypassing it.

front firewall tin must be in place, if not the engine is just breathing hot expelled oil cooler air...assuming you have a doghouse oil cooler that is.

as far as how quickly its heating up, thats perfectly normal in 100 degree ambient heat!!! 220 is totally fine, try a long sustained highway drive and report back

Ive never owned a vert beetle, but I've seen people say they struggle to cool big engines as there is a huge lack of air getting to the engine..the stock decklid vents were designed to cool a 1200-1500cc engine that barely made 50 hp.

oh and those idle jets seem awfully large to me, its probably running rich
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

Where is your temp sender mounted? That has a big effect on what the gauge will read.

If the hot oil pressure is much over 40psi, it will bypass the oil cooler. Ditch the super thick 20-50, and switch to a good 10-40. I like Amsoil z-rod. Brad Penn also makes a good high zinc oil, as well as a few others.

Where is the cooler mounted? The cooler needs to have airflow across it. More than just a fan, and the hot air needs to have a way to escape. I have seen guys mounting them above the trans axle, with the fan pushing up. The cooler is just sitting their baking in its own heat.

220 is just fine. With good oil, 230 is getting warm, and 240 is getting hot. 245 is slow way down time.

Brian
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

What is the compression ratio and what octane gas do you run.

Read what the oil companies say about their products. You can run 220*F oil temps for hours and hours and it will not hurt anything.

It only takes 3-4 miles of driving for oil temps to get up to full operating temps, so a 10 minute drive oil should be getting over 180*.

Two things about a convertible. The factory deck lid on your '65 Vert does not have enough louvers to support a much larger 2276cc engine. When you cruise a convertible with the top down the folded top blocks the air flow to the louvers and all convertibles run hotter. You need to use the tennis ball trick to raise the bottom of the decklid to get enough airflow to support the 2276.

20W-50 is probably too thick. Many people and engine builders get it wrong. I have a 2276 in my Ghia with just the factory dog house oil cooler and have no overheating issues in this 100* summer weather. I run 10W-30 Valvoline VR-1 racing oil.

I also agree the carb may be jetted too rich.
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

Idle jets were 55 when I got it and had a lot of popping in my exhaust at cruise speeds and at idle. Changing them to 60s got rid of most of that. I still don't think I have the jetting dialed in perfectly yet. I have some variation being shipped to me as we speak so that's something I'll be working on. I have yet to pull a plug since the change but will do that when I get a day off. As far as the oil, that's been a plan to find some 10-30. 20-50 was the only high zinc I could find locally. I'll have to order some.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

Oh. Oil temp sender is at the oil pressure relief valve near pulley. I should add that this is running an Empi oil pressure boost kit. Wonder i should change that to a stock setup?

Interesting info on verts and cooling. That makes sense. It does not have a stand off. This was a show car and mostly trailer queen that was built 10 years ago. Wasn't driven much.
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
What is the compression ratio and what octane gas do you run.

Read what the oil companies say about their products. You can run 220*F oil temps for hours and hours and it will not hurt anything.

It only takes 3-4 miles of driving for oil temps to get up to full operating temps, so a 10 minute drive oil should be getting over 180*.

Two things about a convertible. The factory deck lid on your '65 Vert does not have enough louvers to support a much larger 2276cc engine. When you cruise a convertible with the top down the folded top blocks the air flow to the louvers and all convertibles run hotter. You need to use the tennis ball trick to raise the bottom of the decklid to get enough airflow to support the 2276.

20W-50 is probably too thick. Many people and engine builders get it wrong. I have a 2276 in my Ghia with just the factory dog house oil cooler and have no overheating issues in this 100* summer weather. I run 10W-30 Valvoline VR-1 racing oil.

I also agree the carb may be jetted too rich.

Not exactly sure on CR. I think I was told 9 to 1. I run 91 premium.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

As stated above:
1. Switch to a lighter viscosity oil
2. You need more air in the engine compartment especially with the top down. Prop the engine decklid at the bottom using a cut tennis ball. Most likely you are not getting enough air into the engine compartment for both the carbs and the fan.
3. Consider putting back the tranny tin especially on the dog house cooler side. In my convertible I cut it off on the passenger side so more air can get in from there.
4. Where is your VDO sender mounted and have you verified the oil temperature with another gauge or thermometer down the dipstick tube? I know my VDO reads 20 degrees F high.
5. What rpms are you turning and is your fan belt loose?
6. Make sure your external oil cooler is mounted in an air flow area.
7. 220F is not hot if the ambient is 100-110F
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Where is your temp sender mounted? That has a big effect on what the gauge will read.

If the hot oil pressure is much over 40psi, it will bypass the oil cooler. Ditch the super thick 20-50, and switch to a good 10-40. I like Amsoil z-rod. Brad Penn also makes a good high zinc oil, as well as a few others.

Where is the cooler mounted? The cooler needs to have airflow across it. More than just a fan, and the hot air needs to have a way to escape. I have seen guys mounting them above the trans axle, with the fan pushing up. The cooler is just sitting their baking in its own heat.

220 is just fine. With good oil, 230 is getting warm, and 240 is getting hot. 245 is slow way down time.

Brian

Cooler was mounted flat against the bottom of the package tray when I got it! I built standoffs and now have about 4 or 5 inches of space between the cooler and package tray.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

Malanthius wrote:
Brian_e wrote:

Brian

Cooler was mounted flat against the bottom of the package tray when I got it! I built standoffs and now have about 4 or 5 inches of space between the cooler and package tray.

Is the fan pulling air down through the cooler, or pushing air up through it onto the package tray? Either way, having your front tin missing is just sucking hot air into the engine bay…especially with the remote cooler mounted there.

Some folks cut holes behind the license plate to get more air in. It sounds like it’s a show car so maybe that’s not an option, but visually it looks better than propping the decklid open
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

Malanthius wrote:
Oh. Oil temp sender is at the oil pressure relief valve near pulley. I should add that this is running an Empi oil pressure boost kit. Wonder i should change that to a stock setup?

Yes, put the stock springs and plungers back in. I like to have my sending unit in the remote oil filter base. Lots of oil circulation, and right out of the engine.

It seems like you are headed in the right direction. A few more little details to clean up, and you should be set. Lighter oil, prop the lid at the bottom some, and make sure belt is tight enough. You might also check the timing at full advance. If its way up like 34+ that might also make it run hotter.

Brian
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Malanthius wrote:
Brian_e wrote:

Brian

The fan is blowing air up and through the cooler. That's a good point as that air would get sucked in through the missing firewall tin location. Seems I have several issues to correct or improve!

Is the fan pulling air down through the cooler, or pushing air up through it onto the package tray? Either way, having your front tin missing is just sucking hot air into the engine bay…especially with the remote cooler mounted there.

Some folks cut holes behind the license plate to get more air in. It sounds like it’s a show car so maybe that’s not an option, but visually it looks better than propping the decklid open
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Malanthius wrote:

Yes, put the stock springs and plungers back in. I like to have my sending unit in the remote oil filter base. Lots of oil circulation, and right out of the engine.

It seems like you are headed in the right direction. A few more little details to clean up, and you should be set. Lighter oil, prop the lid at the bottom some, and make sure belt is tight enough. You might also check the timing at full advance. If its way up like 34+ that might also make it run hotter.

Brian

I think so! I cannot own a Trailer queen. My cars need to be driven! Otherwise what's the point?! 😂
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

Hello.
A couple of things.
Your oil viscosity is not your problem, at least not your main problem.VR1 20w50 is full synthetic and flows reasonably well.
You do not state whether that external cooler is your ONLY cooler. If it is, i agree, the set up is not right.
The lack of front plate is an old trick used especially in older vehicles to get more air to the engine without cutting. If that oil cooler is the only cooler, and it sits basicly in front of the engine I agree, it is not the smartest solution.
You also do not mention whether there is a thermostat in the system. If there is, and it is one of those installed in the hose lines (2 in & 2 out) from Bugpack, Racimex and the likes. That is part of your problem. They never work as intended. A thermostatic controlled sandwich adapter it THE way to go. I prefer BAT, but Mocal has a couple of good options too.
(Correct) ignition timing also plays a role in how fast or slow the temperature rises as well as fuel mix. But most engines run rich so that is most likely not the issue here.
As for replaceing the dial a pressure thingy. I agree. Never liked those one bit, - and they leaked too. IF you have the stock cooler present I suggest you buy one of those HD pressure kits, but, only use the long plunger inconjunction with a stock spring at the rear relief. This raises the pressure to the cooler with 0,3-0,4 Bar and is very good in such cases.
Finally, ignition. While it is still almost a naughty word in some societies, an SVDA style ignition is absolutely on its place here. You want as little heat in the heads as possible. A programmable ignition can work wonders here. There are plenty of options from a "simple" 123 bluetooth to a Black box, Daytona, Nodiz, MJ and now also Debbie´s (which I know very little about)

A little for you to work with.
T
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

Malanthius wrote:
Brian_e wrote:
Malanthius wrote:

Brian

I think so! I cannot own a Trailer queen. My cars need to be driven! Otherwise what's the point?! 😂

I found the real problem, its in your location tab.... Palmdale.... Hot as miserable hell this time of year (I grew up in Palmdale so I am only joking with you)

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
Malanthius wrote:
Brian_e wrote:
Malanthius wrote:

Brian

I found the real problem, its in your location tab.... Palmdale.... Hot as miserable hell this time of year (I grew up in Palmdale so I am only joking with you)

Haha. This is a true statement. 😂
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

Malanthius wrote:
VWporscheGT3 wrote:
Malanthius wrote:
Brian_e wrote:
Malanthius wrote:

Brian

I agree 100%. I grew up in Lancaster/Palmdale. Miserable place to be any time of year....

I got out in 1994. Laughing
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

Post a picture of your engine please so we can see if there is other things missing.

I agrees on driving these cars. That is what they are for.

Or donate it to a museum if having it on the road bothers you...
1LoWezl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Location of the cooler is prob a huge factor. I run stock doghouse plus the setrab off the torsion housing on my vert and ragtop. Lots of air flow above and below the cooler/fan.

2276 and 2332 running vr1 10-30, 180 thermostat inline to cooler and the tennis ball trick on the vert forsure! Makes a huge difference. Both these motors run 200-215 all day long. These guys responding have helped many enthusiast daily, including myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubman67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me figure out this overheating problem Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Malanthius wrote:
VWporscheGT3 wrote:
Malanthius wrote:
Brian_e wrote:
Malanthius wrote:

Brian

I agree 100%. I grew up in Lancaster/Palmdale. Miserable place to be any time of year....

I got out in 1994. Laughing

X2. Left in 97. I do wonder if Glenn from High Desert Motorsports is still around though.
"At 17 got my first Volkswagen...and mastered the life long art of dragin...." Ice Cube
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: