Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sudden severe oil leak -- blown oil gallery plug, now fixed
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Sudden severe oil leak -- blown oil gallery plug, now fixed Reply with quote

The good news is that the oil pressure switch works. Rolling Eyes

It was all running so well. This is a '77 2.0-L GD engine that I had just refreshed, including cleaning, replacing oil cooler seals, dipstick seals, oil pressure switch and many other things that would not be relevant here. Got it reinstalled last August, and it has been running well, and leaking very little oil -- really just a drop or two on the pavement.

And then today, I drove about 400 meters (city streets, here), and the red oil pressure light came on. I thought, "Wow, that's really odd, but I know what to do." So I immediately pulled over and turned off the engine. To my surprise and horror, oil was falling to the pavement in a steady stream, and there was a long trail of it about 200 m behind me. i could see right where it started, and it was a constant stream after that. Damn! I checked the dipstick, and there was only about 5 mm of oil on the bottom of it.

Now, this was not the catastrophic type of failure that I had seen (twice) before when a galley plug is lost. That is one big splat. This was a steady stream, dripping off the mustache bar--that is, the rear of the engine.

Towed it home, and took a look underneath. It seems to be coming from the left side, so I do not suspect the oil pump seals. No oil is visible on the top side of the engine or tin, and it is not the distributor or oil pressure switch. I am currently suspecting the oil cooler seals, but I replaced them in August, and they held just fine. Why would they decide to go out now?

Before I pull the engine (which may wait until spring, since we like to use the garage for our daily driver in the winter) I'd like to do as much diagnosis as I can, so that I can have parts on hand. Does anyone have ideas about what I can do to diagnose the problem with the engine in the bus?

This is discouraging, but I was starting to build a list of things to do at the next engine pull. I just wasn't counting on doing it so soon.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD

Last edited by jtauxe on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:04 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wild Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil Cooler seals or split seams on cooler itself. , Loose oil filter?? Push rod tube seals, valve cover gasket??? Fan housing can be pulled off with the engine still in vehicle. Put some more oil in it , crank it up , climb underneath and have a peek. Should be able to narrow it down.

"Wild" Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Fl
1978 Champagne Edition (High Top Camper Converstion.) 2.0L FI
1969 Squareback 2.0L

www.rareairvw.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stuming
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that when a nut worked loose on the oil cooler.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild Bill wrote:
Fan housing can be pulled off with the engine still in vehicle.

Can it, really?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Wild Bill wrote:

Can it, really?

Absolutely. I replaced my oil cooler seals recently with the engine still in.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479780&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Better to do it with the heat exchangers off though.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm betting on a split cooler.

Sounds like it was really cold. You started the engine and drove a short distance with very high oil pressure then the bad thing happened.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Wild Bill wrote:

Can it, really?

Yes. It can.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can't see it there but I had to take the housing off to get all the tin off so I could fix the stripped manifold stud threads. I had just installed the motor and was putting the runners back on when I discovered one side wouldn't torque. Talk about a crappy day.
Wild Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Wild Bill wrote:

Can it, really?

Just did it last week.

"Wild" Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Fl
1969 Squareback 2.0L

www.rareairvw.com
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John I would put oil in it and have someone start it for 10 seconds with a big pan under it. It could be as simple as a o-ring on the filter blew. Someone recently popped the seam on several filters too. Maybe we have a run of bad filters starting to appear.

When I put my first T4 together I used a light coating of gascacinch on the gasket between the oil filter housing and case - it worked fine. I did the same the second engine I built. About 5 minutes after I assembled the filter housing to the block I was standing there near the engine and I heard a crack-pop. I went to investigate and found that the gasket had oozed out on one corner of that assembly and then that corner had cracked as it was no longer supported evenly by the gasket. Now I put those gaskets in dry. You might have something like that going on too.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we just got a huge dump of snow, so it's all on hold for awhile. At least our driveway (and the bus' rear end) face south and get dried out relatively quickly. I like the idea of adding oil and running it for a bit just to see where the leak is coming from. I should definitely be able to see it pouring out of somewhere!

Wild Bill wrote:

I love the use of a tablecloth.
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: massive oil leak Reply with quote

a very simple thing to check first is the seal on the oil filter itself...sometimes the seal sticks to the filter housing and you put the new filter on with the old seal still in place....it will then blow out causing a huge leak....double oil filter seals will fail....maybe you will get lucky with this and all you need to do is fix this oil filter seal.....much easier than an oil cooler if this turns out to be your problem.
aparrothead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to check is the valve cover gasket. I had a 1" piece blow out (not sure how) and oil was draining out onto the heat exchanger, header pipes and basically everywhere. It wasn't quite as bad as you're describing but I had to put two quarts in to get home (about 200 miles).
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely not the valve cover gasket. And, although it could be the oil filter seal, I doubt it, but will check. Like I said, this is after the bus running fine for months, so it is not due to any recent service like that, which would have made itself evident immediately.
Wild Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Well, we just got a huge dump of snow, so it's all on hold for awhile. At least our driveway (and the bus' rear end) face south and get dried out relatively quickly. I like the idea of adding oil and running it for a bit just to see where the leak is coming from. I should definitely be able to see it pouring out of somewhere!

Wild Bill wrote:

I love the use of a tablecloth.

Ah that would be my operating table. Very Happy Plastic tablecloth and keeps white plastic on table from getting stained and makes for a most excellent thing to lay on when working out in the field or on the side of the road.. Wink

"Wild" Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Fl
1969 Squareback 2.0L

www.rareairvw.com
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
It's definitely not the valve cover gasket. And, although it could be the oil filter seal, I doubt it, but will check. Like I said, this is after the bus running fine for months, so it is not due to any recent service like that, which would have made itself evident immediately.

You can *see* the oil cooler seals from under the bus. Some shots of carb spray will clean the area enough to see the orange edges between the cooler and the mounting flange.

Be thoughtful and slow with your diagnosis. Yes, add a quart of oil or two, start the engine and l Shocked Shocked k for oil.
Colin
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not even thought that I could see these -- now I need to look closely, and with better light (and definitely some protective eyewear). Thanks for the suggestion, Colin.

Now, if the snow will just melt... Rolling Eyes
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can blow the top right out of the oil pressure switch. This will cause the light to come on instantly and will drain the crankcase in a minute or so of running.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, we have weather nice enough that I could climb under the bus without getting cold and wet. Smile I added oil, cleaned up the bottom of the engine so that I could spot new leaks, removed the left hand bottom tin so that I could look around better, and had my lovely assistant give it a crank.

Well, oil is pouring forth like a fountain under there, and it seems quite localized. I can definitely rule out the following suspected sources. It is NOT
- the oil cooler or seals,
- the oil filter gasket or flange gasket,
- the oil pressure switch or anything else "topside",
- a pushrod tube seal, or
- the oil filler tube seal or dipstick tube seal.

Now, what's left?

The oil is pouring out from a place I cannot see, but it seems to be directly above the left side motor mount. That is, just above the metal bracket that supports the top of the left rubber motor mount. What is there?

I seem to remember seeing a gallery plug in that general vicinity. I've had gallery plugs go before (not on this engine, and always at the front of the engine) and they definitely spit the oil out fast. And, in the cold weather, perhaps the metal of the gallery plug shrunk away from that of the case. (?) Another bit of corroborating evidence is that both times when this happened before on the other engine, it happened after I took off from a stop. This time, too. In all cases, I was accelerating from a full stop, and perhaps that is just the time when the pressure builds enough to blow the plug.

So, that's a possibility, if indeed there is one there just above the left motor mount. Does anyone have a photo of that area with the fan shroud off?

What else could it be? Any ideas?

Ironically, I had toyed with the idea of retrofitting all the gallery plugs while the engine was out in August. On the engine that I had earlier that blew two gallery plugs (at different times), I tapped the plug holes with a large NPT fitting and put in brass NPT "stoppers", or end plugs. After insertion, I cut off the square heads. Those held well, though I was a bit nervous drilling and tapping the case like that. If I were to do that again, I would look for a recessed Allen head type fitting.

So - I'm looking for other possibilities besides the gallery plugs.

Last edited by jtauxe on Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure sounds like a gallery plug to me, remove the fan to see them, you can run it for a minute or two with no fan for testing purposes if the leaks not already obvious.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at this photo from another thread you will see there are not only plugs in that area but the oil filter housing is there too and it can crack and leak. The red arrow was in the photo already. When we mounted the oil pump, the paper gasket squeezed out so I used the locktite sealant. I guess the oil pump gasket could fail too.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: