Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sudden severe oil leak -- blown oil gallery plug, now fixed
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue77bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steel only here,never ever will i ever use aluminum ever again ever. All i did was check on the depth of the thread,screwed in an ally plug and it galled ,went to remove it and the hex drive rounded out,no such problem with steel,i install with loctite 565 and never look back .There are absolutely no issues with steel plugs in the case from an expansion point of view ,or any other IMHO
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

Maybe if I "lubricate" them with Curil-T they won't gall on a test fit. I don't see ever wanting to remove them once they are in.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD

Last edited by jtauxe on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
blue77bay wrote:
I have had bad experiences with ally plugs and wont use them ,i only use steel, you will never get an ally one back out once its in ,the ally to ally galls up and your screwed
You mean aluminum? Interesting. How about brass?
You would really recommend going with steel plugs? I had thought that the dissimilar metals (not as an electrochemical problem, but as a heat expansion problem) would cause trouble.

Go with zinc.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poptop tom wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
blue77bay wrote:
I have had bad experiences with ally plugs and wont use them ,i only use steel, you will never get an ally one back out once its in ,the ally to ally galls up and your screwed
You mean aluminum? Interesting. How about brass?
You would really recommend going with steel plugs? I had thought that the dissimilar metals (not as an electrochemical problem, but as a heat expansion problem) would cause trouble.

Go with zinc.

Zinc electroplate would be okay, but I wouldn't go with hot dipped galvanized as the coating could potentially flake off thus leading to bearing damage. Clean uncoated steel should be fine as it will not rust in the presence of all that oil. I can get plain steel allen head plugs from a local plumbing jobber for just a few cents apiece, costs about a buck to do an engine that way.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poptop tom wrote:
Go with zinc.

I think not, even if these existed. Zinc is a very soft metal, and will definitely act as a sacrificial cathode and deteriorate. Why would you even suggest it?

I still think brass or aluminum are the way to go -- just being careful to drive it in sweetly with some Curil-T.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your alloy galled, it's because the NPT plug was not hard anodized...

I have aluminum fasteners on my engine, and they have not galled or corroded- and yes i withdrew them to check. no problem when anodized.

as far as stripping them, perhaps you can use square head alloy plugs without clearance to flywheel issues and such.

heres a source for those anodized plugs: http://www.jdaent.com/an-npt-caps-plugs.html
i too had my doubts about these, but there really were no problems! strong as f**k, and no galling or corrosion.

Last edited by Blaubus on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
poptop tom wrote:
Go with zinc.

I think not, even if these existed. Zinc is a very soft metal, and will definitely act as a sacrificial cathode and deteriorate. Why would you even suggest it?

I still think brass or aluminum are the way to go -- just being careful to drive it in sweetly with some Curil-T.

For some reason I thought I bought npt zinc galley plugs from Raby for my build, and had thought he also used the same plugs in his rebuilds.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, Jake posted on this issue in other threads. he does not use alloy or brass for NPT plugs.
whether his were zinc- i dont know. but mention his name around here and he will show up to let you know...

Last edited by Blaubus on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans wrote:
if your alloy galled, it's because the NPT plug was not hard anodized...

I have aluminum fasteners on my engine, and they have not galled or corroded- and yes i withdrew them to check. no problem when anodized.

as far as stripping them, perhaps you can use square head alloy plugs in some places on the type 4 engine.

heres a source for those: http://www.jdaent.com/an-npt-caps-plugs.html
i too had my doubts about these, but there really were no problems! strong as f**k, and no galling or corrosion.

Let's not confuse "ally" (which I think may be 'strine for "aluminum"), and "alloy". Though, as it turns out, the McMaster-Carr plugs are a 6061 aluminum alloy, I think.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did i write "ally?" i dont see that Question
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is the plugs we sell and use I also used on my 912E engine. After 8 years and 160,000 miles they never leaked. When I pulled them out to clean the case when I freshened the engine last year they were not even corroded. I reused them.
We do not use ferrous plugs of any type.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans wrote:
did i write "ally?" i dont see that Question

No - blue77bay wrote "ally", and you were responding to what he wrote, but called it "alloy". Hence the confusion.

But - it matters not.

Jake Raby wrote:
All I can say is the plugs we sell and use I also used on my 912E engine. After 8 years and 160,000 miles they never leaked. When I pulled them out to clean the case when I freshened the engine last year they were not even corroded. I reused them.
We do not use ferrous plugs of any type.

Jake - what are the plugs you use made of? And, do you use anything like a high-temp sealant when you put them in?
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. engine out. Shroud off. Here's what I see:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a third plug that I had not seen with the shroud on, though it is clearly visible in the pic that Steve showed earlier, with a red arrow pointing to it.

So, now that I cleverly smeared J-B Weld over them (like that did any good -- who gave me that idea, anyway... Rolling Eyes ) I need some help making sure I know what I am looking at.

Seems to me:

Gallery plug 1: This is the one that blew out, and would get tapped with 3/8" NPT for plugging.

Gallery plug 2: Not (yet) blown out, but will also get tapped for a plug. I think this also would accept a 3/8" NPT plug.

Gallery plug 3: So, what it this? Is this one of the small ones that would get tapped out for a 1/4" NPT plug? Should I do that, or leave it alone? I have not heard from anyone that these are known to blow.

Am I missing anything?

Once this end is done, I'll do the three 3/8" ones behind the pressure plate.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John. While we did all ours, it is spooky doing those with the engine assembled. I might get the large ones and then wait until the engine is apart to do the small ones. Your call. There is also one between #3 and #4 if I recall and it is like a T in the line so it will be very hard to keep debris out. I might leave that one alone. The big ones seem more prone to puking I have read here and on a couple other forums.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update -- Here is the final result: All five large oil gallery freeze plugs replaced with aluminum 3/8" NPT fitting. The aluminum worked just fine, and is cemented with high-temperature threadlocking compound:

Two plugs on the rear

and three at the front

I took photos of the entire process, so if anyone likes, I could post up a tutorial on this.

I must say that at times this was a bit harrowing -- definitely with some high stress moments. Drilling into the case is, as Steve said, spooky. Most of the holes went fine, but the one on the front of the case, just to the right (in the photo) of the end of the main shaft, has me worried. In the gallery is a small side passage, and it looks like it goes straight to the main shaft. I'm guessing this is the oil passage for lubricating the main bearing. It was simply impossible to keep chips out of that hole, during the drilling and later during the tapping of the oil gallery. I did the best I could cleaning it out with a bent Q-tip with grease on it, gently inserting it and withdrawing it until it came out with no more chips. But I worry...

Now - what next (after getting the engine back in)? I need to circulate the oil around at low pressure to get rid of any remaining grease, and, I hope, to get any renegade chips to end up in the oil filter or screen. After some of that, I will again change oil and filter, and clean the screen.

So, how to circulate the oil gently? I thought I would just idle the engine for awhile, but a friend suggested this technique: With the engine in gear but no ignition, drag the bus around the block a few times, forcing the engine to turn over with no pressure. I guess that could work.

What do you guys think of that approach?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have any chips in there just fire it up. I you do have any chips and can't get them out for whatever reason your bearings are likely doomed.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does that not make me feel more at ease? Confused
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the engine installed today, in sub-freezing weather. I hate working in the cold.

I ran it at idle for about 15 minutes, then changed the oil. Removed main drain plug, filter, and screen. All had flecks of metal in them, When the screen came out, a small mangled spring came out, too. It looks to be about 5 mm in diameter, and was probably 2 cm long. Any ideas where this may have come from?

I also noticed that the oil screen pickup mechanism (the inverted cup-shaped piece that the screen bolt attaches to) was a bit loose.. I don't remember this as being loose in other engines, but I don't get into the screen much. Is this a problem?

Buttoned it all back up, with cleaned screen, new filter, and fresh 20W-50 Castrol. Ran it a few miles, and it seems fine.

Except for the heat. Not getting as much air flow as I should. I used high-temp RTV on the shroud-to-heat exchanger covers to seal them on reassembly, and I'm wondering if any of that goop oozed down and gummed up the flappers. Grr. I'll have to take them off and check. It was easy to do that with the engine out and the exhaust off, but I think i can still get my fingers in there...
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: 5mmx2cm. Reply with quote

5mm x 2 centimeters sounds like it could have been a 6mm. heilicoil.

Are you going to change the oil again just for Grins. Question
Wild Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Got the engine installed today, in sub-freezing weather. I hate working in the cold.

I ran it at idle for about 15 minutes, then changed the oil. Removed main drain plug, filter, and screen. All had flecks of metal in them, When the screen came out, a small mangled spring came out, too. It looks to be about 5 mm in diameter, and was probably 2 cm long. Any ideas where this may have come from?

I also noticed that the oil screen pickup mechanism (the inverted cup-shaped piece that the screen bolt attaches to) was a bit loose.. I don't remember this as being loose in other engines, but I don't get into the screen much. Is this a problem?

Can you post a picture ?

"Wild" Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Fl
1978 Champagne Edition (High Top Camper Converstion.) 2.0L FI
1969 Squareback 2.0L

www.rareairvw.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: