Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI conversion - making a new cable
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: TDI conversion - making a new cable Reply with quote

I've got an engine, the ECU, all sensor and a crappy diagram.
Any happy soul out there who could share a better diagram than mine?

I'm going to put this one into my friends camper, and he found the engine already ripped out so I didn't have the chance to get the cables. I have no problem with making a new one, just want a readable schema... Smile

/S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mTDI Wink
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't want to and I understand him, he tends to blow stuff halfway through Europe and entering a workshop with a hybrid/Franken engine would be a bigger problem than the blown engine itself...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="svenakela"] he tends to blow stuff halfway through Europe quote]

All the more reason why he should have a system in place that anyone with diesel skills could address. You're already making a "Franken" except that what he'll get is a lot more loose bits and connectors and potential "issue points" than he would with mTDI. If he can't fix it himself then it should be as simple as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess that just about any European shop willing and able to work on a T3 would easily recognize an mTDI since it's not all that much different than either a regular 1.6TD or the vehicles from which the TDI was originally sourced. Having said that, I'm pretty sure there are some useful diagrams found here.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are worse than mormons with your proselytizing!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:

Sheesh, this thread in a relentless onslaught of off-brand threads is called out for proselytizing?!?

y u rune klassik?
trailnewt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is an AHU or 1Z conversion you should join the Yahoo tdi-conversion list, then look through the "files" section. You won't find a complete wiring diagram but you will find pin-outs for the ECU and a whole lot of other useful information. A search of the archives of that group will yield posts on how to wire the newer TDI throttle pedal for use in your conversion, how to wire the cruise control, pedal switches, and speed sensor.

There is less information available there if you are using the ALH or Pumpe Duse, but still worth a look in the files, photos, and messages.

The Bentley wiring diagrams are another very useful tool.
Brent
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trailnewt wrote:
If this is an AHU or 1Z conversion you should join the Yahoo tdi-conversion list, then look through the "files" section. You won't find a complete wiring diagram but you will find pin-outs for the ECU and a whole lot of other useful information. A search of the archives of that group will yield posts on how to wire the newer TDI throttle pedal for use in your conversion, how to wire the cruise control, pedal switches, and speed sensor.

There is less information available there if you are using the ALH or Pumpe Duse, but still worth a look in the files, photos, and messages.

The Bentley wiring diagrams are another very useful tool.
Brent

Great I'll have a look!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:

I understand that you are anti-mTDI although I have no idea why and really, really don't want to know why. There are advantages to either install and this is a situation where the advantages to the mechanical management are exaggerated beyond even a normal conversion. Personally I don't care *at all* if someone opts for an eTDI, mTDI or Stirling hot-air engine and I'm certainly not trying to convert anyone this way or that. If you want to accuse someone of proselytizing, then you need look no further than the mirror. Regardless, to me, an mTDI makes the most sense in this situation and the reason given in opposition to it doesn't make sense to me (or, apparently, to the other "proselytizing guys").
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: TDI conversion - making a new cable Reply with quote

svenakela wrote:
I've got an engine, the ECU, all sensor and a crappy diagram.
Any happy soul out there who could share a better diagram than mine?

I'm going to put this one into my friends camper, and he found the engine already ripped out so I didn't have the chance to get the cables. I have no problem with making a new one, just want a readable schema... Smile

/S

You don't mention which engine or the vehicle the engine came from. It is a bit of work, but with a Bentley manual for the Vanagon/T3 and the donor vehicle, it is possible to combine the two. You just do one circuit at at time. You need to be comfortable with reading factory wiring diagrams. I think you should still try to find the two harnesses that plug into the ECU. You will want those molded ends and connectors. And from memory, the smaller harness that goes to the injection pump is plug and play. It is the larger harness that needs to be adapted in.

It took me about two weeks of sitting on the back on the vanagon with the manuals, ohm meter, soldering gun etc to sort it all out. I had only the engine and purchased new harnesses from the dealer back then. Should be a nice ride when done.
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a late model 1Z from a Seat Cordoba (YM97). I have no problem with an mTDI either, and this is not my first conversion so I have no problem with going both ways in any case. Don't forget, I have a Landy pump 130 hp TDI in my own daily driver. The option is actually to go the impossible-according-to-different-forum-members-JX pump-into-mTDI-route, which also has been done successfully in a workshop nearby and not theoretically on a nerdic forum.
BTW, how many of you have been driving around in Europe lately? The mechanical TDI's are almost extinct here. Se beat it, mTDI is not better when it comes to workshop assistance.

Though, what I do have problems with are mormons. Wink

Pretty please - Don't mess up my request for e-TDI data sheets. Have the mTDI discussion somewhere else this time.

@rsxsr: I think I'll go your way this time. Patience, soldering and a beer or two. I'll have the engine running on a stand before I make the swap, I have plenty of space but could have a little bit of more time with this conversion.
andy syncro-nutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ha-projekt.de/index.php?route=common/home

Its on your doorstep Wink
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
If you want to accuse someone of proselytizing, then you need look no further than the mirror.

I have never posted an informationless post suggesting someone go e--TDI in a thread that was specifically about m-TDIs, your assertion is baseless Cool Feel free to PM me for further clarification.

Apologies to svenakela for the threadjack.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the Bentley paper manual from my old '96 Passat tdi that I could scan, if that would help.

y u rune klassik?
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I still have the Bentley paper manual from my old '96 Passat tdi that I could scan, if that would help.

That would be very appreciated! I'll send you a PM.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: