Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cooking competition
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
That isn't elitist at all Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Don't take me or yourself so seriously.
canvas guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buses by the Bridge has a chili cookoff every year.

We do Dutch oven meals outside the westy- hors du ovaries, bread, entrees, desserts, you name it, can even be done from a Doka!

Which also begs the question-are imus elgible as cooking devices? Nothing like kalua pig, chicken, etc?

YMMV

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say a definite NO restricting to just Westy's. We all know that Vanagons came in different shapes and models. If someone doesn't have a sink, a stove and a fridge inside then as long as they use a 2 burner stove of roughly same size and BTU, a pail for a sink and a cooler or fridge. For those who have to cook outside a suitable size can be chalked on a picnic table and on the ground and all Chefs are restricted to an area the size of the floor inside the Westy. One small side table could be set up outside.

But come on guys>>>not all Vanagons are Westy's. It's got nothing to do with elitist but it sure sucks when you say just Westy's. We ALL make the community!

2 burners, fridge/cooler (size of Dometic), 2 pots/pans or you can make it 3 if you want to. Best dressed Chef is naw!!! Craziest dressed or dressed to the nationality of the food being cooked. Make a limit to amt $$ spent on fixed number of ingredients, and everyone BYOB, chair, plate, knife and fork. Charge tasters (judges) one price and a wee bit less for all on lookers and looser cleans up?! Naw charge everyone the same price and draw tickets sold for who gets to taste test?

I hope to head to NE around May/June!!!! There should be 2 categories simultaneously >>> one for real life chefs and one for non chefs but darn good cooks. Could have a pot luck dinner for everyone else to eat.

Ok the above gives me another idea, 3 categories>>>appetizers, main course and desert, all requiring cooking. Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has all the makings of a new series on the Food channel.
I want to be a celebrity judge! Wink
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
This has all the makings of a new series on the Food channel.
I want to be a celebrity judge! Wink

Probably more talent amongst the Samba community than all the food channel combined. Thats all I have to say about that.

To Daizees point - I was thinking it has to be 2 or three courses - competitors choice if they want three savory, or add a dessert. I know I would do an amuse bouche, its an easy course.

I am done thinking for tonight - 6 hours today in a car with an amped up 4 year old wiped me out.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncrodoka - you can just mail beer. I'll PM my address to you.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need one on the west coast

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Syncrodoka - you can just mail beer. I'll PM my address to you.

I've got some right here, swing by on the way to the competition. Wink
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
we need one on the west coast

Nice looking paella!
Where do you stash your pan?
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pan goes into big double bags and up in the folded upper bed, you have to have paella when camping for several days

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
you have to have paella when camping for several days

Agreed! And there is nothing better than paella cooked on an open fire!
--Juan
themervino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Daisy. It's about the fun and the food. A great combo. Too many rules and regulations and I quickly start to lose interest. Everybody just get together and cook some good food. Everybody gets a vote. Cook on two burner stoves in any kind of van. Chefs and home cooks all doing their best dish. Keep it simple. Focus on fun and food Merv.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre sell Tickets for a Feast, everyone BYOB and dishes. Then divide the $$ up amongst the contestants with a fixed number of ingredients to be chosen by the Contestant Chefs? OK now we can move on. Need a field or someplace to meet up and a when? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canvas guy wrote:
Buses by the Bridge has a chili cookoff every year.

We do Dutch oven meals outside the westy- hors du ovaries, bread, entrees, desserts, you name it, can even be done from a Doka!

Which also begs the question-are imus elgible as cooking devices? Nothing like kalua pig, chicken, etc?

YMMV

[/img]

I think that this is the first westy meal that I have seen on here that has me craving it. That looks delicious. Most of the posts that I have seen with food on here are nasty greasy burgers and english cooking Sick

Sorry Britts Smile
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know how someone turned the peaches into pineapples Question Laughing Laughing
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paella, tasty...I had to google that.

I've seen that made on stones, or maybe I'm mistaking something else...I've been re-honing my cooking skills, that looks like something i might try.
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds like fun! WAY COOL! Merry XMAS to ALL! I just got back from doing a James Beard Dinner in NYC last week and I got invited to cook for Muhammed Ali's 70th party with Lance Armstrong, Alonzo Mourning, Andre Agassi, Stef Graf and loads of celebrities I never heard of... I will be back in Arizona in February for that! I miss camping! now back to the regularily scheduled Christmas feast going on now...

Love ASWAH

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so do another trip for the Great Eastern Cook Off! Laughing Congrats to your new gig. I have every confidence that it is going to be scrumptious!
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aswah wrote:
this sounds like fun! WAY COOL! Merry XMAS to ALL! I just got back from doing a James Beard Dinner in NYC last week and I got invited to cook for Muhammed Ali's 70th party with Lance Armstrong, Alonzo Mourning, Andre Agassi, Stef Graf and loads of celebrities I never heard of... I will be back in Arizona in February for that! I miss camping! now back to the regularily scheduled Christmas feast going on now...

Love ASWAH

Did a James Beard dinner a bunch of years ago. Its an experience. Congrats on the successful result and the new invite.
LP
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the kitchen at James Beards house is probably as small as a Westy's... Merry XMAS EVERYONE! My friend who I did the dinner with is trying to make me become a cook again... kicking and screaming...

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: