Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

coker 700x15 ND tires
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lifeisgoodin29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: coker 700x15 ND tires Reply with quote

Has anybody had any experiance putting this tire and a 15 inch bus rim on a reduction gear 181? I have 1970 and am looking for a aggresive tire to use.
dells68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about those tires before, as they just look bad a--. The only thing with bus rims is the clearance issue with the front spindles. Thing rims have less backspacing as opposed to the bus rims causing them to rub. I actually put 235 75 15 mud and snow tires on beetle rims on my car to give it that agressive look and it's worked out pretty well with no rubbing, but I do have a 2" body lift and slightly lifted suspension. Below is a pic before I got it finished.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Nice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dells68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Thing looks great-more photos please!
dells68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 74, Thanks, I'm sad to say that I'm horrible at taking pictures Shocked I don't really have any pics since I finished it. There are a few in progress pics in my gallery if you'd like to take a peak at those. I've got it put to sleep for the winter right now - just waiting for about March to come along so it can come back to life!
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd avoid NDCC and definitely NDTs if this car sees much time on the road. Tire technology is night and day from when either was first produced. Modern AT tires from any reputable manufacturer (General, BFG, Goodyear, etc..) will do better in mud than the ND*s and keep you in control on the road.

In my opinion, 205/75/15 or 27x8.5R14 General Grabber AT2's are the perfect all around tire for a stock Thing. Anything bigger and/or more aggressive is going to require new gearing or more power in addition to a lift.
sixty9fasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellow73kubel wrote:
I'd avoid NDCC and definitely NDTs if this car sees much time on the road. Tire technology is night and day from when either was first produced. Modern AT tires from any reputable manufacturer (General, BFG, Goodyear, etc..) will do better in mud than the ND*s and keep you in control on the road.

In my opinion, 205/75/15 or 27x8.5R14 General Grabber AT2's are the perfect all around tire for a stock Thing. Anything bigger and/or more aggressive is going to require new gearing or more power in addition to a lift.

X2 on the General grabber AT2;s I'm running 215/75/15's front and 235's rear. They look great on the car, and handle WAY better than the NANCo's 700x15's I had on there before. Yes my Thing is lifted to fit the tires...

If your looking for stock fitment and aggressive check out the mudder buckshots that Rev has on his Thing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...;start=120
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lifeisgoodin29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the military tires do not do well on the hiway too. I am using the stock 15 inck wheels that came with my 70 with reduction tran. And yes
I am trying to find the tallest most agressive tire I can. Does anybody know how the mickey thompson e78x15 tires do on the hiway. the discription says offroad only.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: