Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to the Samba... What would you do if you were me.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: New to the Samba... What would you do if you were me. Reply with quote

Hi All, I'm certainly not new to VW but I am new to this forum. I do plan to contribute when I can and I'm never to proud to ask for help when I need it either.
Here is my conundrum...I've been building Westys and vans for other people for more than 25years, I've built a few for myself, sold them to finance the next project. Except for my Blue Synco TD Doka, which was at Transporter-fest this year, I've had her for 18years! I digress...
I want to build myself the best Westy I can. I own a fully equipped and staffed VW shop on the East Coast, I have a 1991 Syncro passenger van, rusty but complete, at least 6 1986-1991 Panel vans, passenger vans for parts, a 1991 Westy Weekender that has some rust but very repairable, and a 1980 Westy that has NO rust or running gear.
I'm leaning towards mating the syncro running gear with the 1980 rust free chassis.
I have a plethora of engine choices. I really like an AAZ...they can be tuned easily and I have lots of them to rebuild, dito for AHU TDi I have lots of them but they're a bit more work to install, unless I go MTDI, which isn't out of the question. Or the ol' stand by 2.1 DJ or MV, of which I have lots of them as well.
The end result,( says my loving wife) is a van that we'll use and keep for a long time... and take us through our retirement years in style...
What would you build if parts were unlimited and you had the shop and resourses to build your dream westy? Dare to dream! PLUS-I plan to reveal it at next years Transporter-fest...
Blessings to all this Christmas, Jeff
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

You have all the parts for a 1991 Syncro Westy Weekender

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali

Last edited by madspaniard on Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your write up on the vanagon clusters. I link members to it all the time. While the Air Cooled chassis may be in the best shape, It was not set up for a radiator/cooling system as well as the heating system. It can be done, but I have seen a couple members say it was a lot of extra work to adapt an aircooled chassis to water cooled.

I'd like to at some point add the syncro runnng gear to our 82 TDI westy. It is fully sorted and would only need a donor syncro and some spare time. To me, that seems like a lot less work than starting from scratch with another syncro vanagon. I am partial to the round headlights and simple interior of the earlier vanagons.

Sounds like you have too many options. That probably is not helping. mark
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you have the resources.

I think you need to sell me a set of rubber floor mats out of one of your parts vans for my syncro project!

Alot of people have converted non syncros into syncro's.

Panels are my favorite..but I can understand wanting to have windows at the same time
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would build a Syncro Panel Very Happy
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rsxsr"]I like your write up on the vanagon clusters. I link members to it all the time. While the Air Cooled chassis may be in the best shape, It was not set up for a radiator/cooling system as well as the heating system. It can be done, but I have seen a couple members say it was a lot of extra work to adapt an aircooled chassis to water cooled.

I do have lots of heater boxes. The body is the same. I need to cut a hole for the hoses. I even think the holes are there for the rad supports. correct me if I'm wrong...
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

Of course you would Dylan..
Jeff
NEUTEILE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Samba... What would you do if you were me. Reply with quote

Jeff's Old Volks Home wrote:
Hi All, I'm certainly not new to VW but I am new to this forum. I do plan to contribute when I can and I'm never to proud to ask for help when I need it either.
Here is my conundrum...I've been building Westys and vans for other people for more than 25years, I've built a few for myself, sold them to finance the next project. Except for my Blue Synco TD Doka, which was at Transporter-fest this year, I've had her for 18years! I digress...
I want to build myself the best Westy I can. I own a fully equipped and staffed VW shop on the East Coast, I have a 1991 Syncro passenger van, rusty but complete, at least 6 1986-1991 Panel vans, passenger vans for parts, a 1991 Westy Weekender that has some rust but very repairable, and a 1980 Westy that has NO rust or running gear.
I'm leaning towards mating the syncro running gear with the 1980 rust free chassis.
I have a plethora of engine choices. I really like an AAZ...they can be tuned easily and I have lots of them to rebuild, dito for AHU TDi I have lots of them but they're a bit more work to install, unless I go MTDI, which isn't out of the question. Or the ol' stand by 2.1 DJ or MV, of which I have lots of them as well.
The end result,( says my loving wife) is a van that we'll use and keep for a long time... and take us through our retirement years in style...
What would you build if parts were unlimited and you had the shop and resourses to build your dream westy? Dare to dream! PLUS-I plan to reveal it at next years Transporter-fest...
Blessings to all this Christmas, Jeff

WOW - like dream come true! And a Merry Christmas to you as well! Looking forward to this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A solid chassis is always the best foundation to start with. If it is made out of metal, it can be made to work. Don't know about the radiator support bracket weld nuts, but easily solved. Finishing the lower radiator air inlet would probably be more of a challenge than fitting hoses and the radiator. If you have the skills to convert a 2wd to a syncro, getting the early chassis to work should not impose any unsolvable problems. I can weld and fabricate, but body work is not anything I enjoy. Post lots of pictures and welcome to the Samba.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro panel w/ a hightop and custom cabinets. I wish I could delete the rear windows in my Westy.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
I like your write up on the vanagon clusters. I link members to it all the time.

That old volks home is in Nor Cal. http://www.oldvolkshome.com/
There is a shop with the same name near me too.
Zaro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

This! Cool
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then I take my compliment back. Embarassed
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Jeff, hope to meet up with you next summer and of course @ Transporter Fest!

By the looks of your Doka, I'm sure the new Westy will be equally as nice!

Jeff's Doka @ T-Fest
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Larry Davick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very new to this, and so, rather green. With your expertise and resources I'd simply look to your inventory as parts. You will probably want to touch every system anyhow, so why not start with the rust-free air-cooled chassis and avoid the added body work? Plumb it for HVAC and radiators - they were built as diesels too, so it shouldn't be a total engineering exercise to add this.
Brakes are something that can always be improved, but I'm no expert here. With our Van my first job was to refresh the brake system, but I've gone stock, nothing fancy.
Engine choice is a personal preference - Diesel vs Gas, German vs Japanese, vs American. You choose. I'd go for torque and efficiency over horsepower, but that's me. I like what I've read about the Subaru transplants - they seem to be reliable and powerful enough.
Full Westy pop-top camper with a modern Gasoline / Propane / Diesel heater (your choice.) The pop-top lets you heat or cool a smaller space while keeping the profile low for better wind resistance.
Fridge? I like propane, but a lot of folks go for the Truck Fridge.
If boondocking a lot I'd add a solar panel to the roof and the best deep cycle battery bank space would allow. (What will you do with the old spare tire space?)
Oh, I'd mount the spare tire on a swing away mount at the rear.
Wheels and tires? I like the mild look better than the aggressive 4x4 look. It's personal preference again - you can go as nutty as you like or keep it close to the ground.
Awnings look so very cool at the campsite. Gotta have an awning. A nice radio with connectivity for your iPod and perhaps an audio input for a Television. Maybe not.
I wouldn't change the layout of the interior as I think it's just right. Maybe I'd find the most comfortable seats for Mamma and me and some cup holders, but everything else is just right for me.
I really like the look of the 4 lamp South African grille. This time of year it needs a wreath.
Even though it's the last thing on the list, it's still very important. A nice paint job. Nothing says that the job was done right like a shiny, pretty Vanagon.
Salem7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here!

I enjoyed our chat about diesel engine upgrades at Transporterfest.

Good luck on your project, what ever you decide. If it is anything like your Doka it will be great.

1995 Eurovan Camper
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a lot of choices! I'd say the 91 Syncro Weekender with MTDi. I'd add a sink, ice box unit behind the passenget seat. For 2, I think this would work fine.

However a panel van would allow you to add the windows of your choice, and skip one where the rear cabinet is. I'd probably just mount bay Jalousie windows on the slider and side opposite and an RV slider window on passenger rear side and a flip-out window in the reat hatch.

I'm sure it will look good based on what I saw at Transporterfest.
PS - I might want some travel info on Nova Scotia.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your truck at t-fest. It was bad ass! it was my vote for #1.

I didn't get to meet up with you though....maybe next year.

I say go all out. You have the parts and the skills. Build something that you can use and treasure at the same time.

If I were to do it all over again (and I probably will) I would build a Westy Weekender with some form of Turbo diesel motor.... possibly with a custom automatic transmission (so the wife can drive it). good mpg would be a must. I still have a crazy urge to build a super stretch vanagon.

this will be when the '63 restoration is completed (stay tuned). I feel like I enjoy working on/building/hacking vanagons more than the old stuff these days.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me I'd customize the weekender. I have an '82 and an '89 Westy and I find the newer one more refined and nicer to drive. With the weekender you have a more open platform to customize to suit your tastes and you don't have to go through the hassle of cutting the roof to add a poptop or hightop.
I'm sure this will be a fun project to watch!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering putting Jalousies in the middle windows and put one of the 1/2 sliders in the rear passenger. If you go that route, could you document it well, please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: