Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Birddog's '71 Sportsmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Well from a quick browse through your bug beam fix thread it looks like the torsion tube won't be a big challenge for you, here's how I did one (it looks like you don't have to deal with PO attempts to disguise it so you're already a few steps ahead of me): http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=455598

BTW congratulations on the AA and sober part, keep it up!

After reading your repair I knew I could do it, it was insperational I tell 'ya Wink

I Got Your Jeep Thing! Now It Hurts When I pee.

Cigarettes are like squirrels, they are both harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this in a cubby under the sink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cigarettes are like squirrels, they are both harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the plugs changed and a new rotor on it today. Was working on the electric when the neighbor came in and and started BSin' and ended the working. Slower night at work so I got the carb rebuilt and ready to go back in. The used one I put on as a bandaid seems to have developed and accelerator pump circute problem, cuts out whwn I step on the gas but is ok if I ease into it.

Ordered new exhaust gasket to fix the leaks, some spare fuses and a shifter bushing kit this morning. CIP was having a sale.
Need to get the brake lights and rear turn signals working so I can take a spin around town before the first of the year. Smile
Besides the nurse that helped me get it to the shop wants a ride. Embarassed

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, spent a good 6-7 hours on the old girl today, but no pics. After rebuilding the carb it wouldn't stay running or idle. So I started the day adjusting the valves. Then I took the carb back off and cleaned the main jet passage out again. Then I put a new fuel pump on. This new Airtex fuel pump had the lines mis-labled on the instruction sheet causeing no fuel to flow. Evil or Very Mad Once I figured that out the day got better. Wink The idle seems a little high but it has an 009 and not a vacume advance dist on it, wants to die below 1000rpm. Still cant get the brake lights or headlights to work, but that was late in the afternoon. On a positive note, looks like the PO replaced all the front brakes before it was parked, the flexible lines look brand new, no rust onn the fittings.

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake lights are fixed I think. Went and found what I need to make the sheet metal brake for my HF 20 ton press and so I can bend up some 12 ga steel. Gonna try to build the brake this weekend, getting the stuff tomorrow I hope.

A little bling for the dash.

Have these new unused coil overs that came with a bug pan that I will NEVER use on the baja, but I hear they work on the front of a bus?

And can a rear sway bar for a bug be addapted to use on a bus? Just asking cause its another part that I have and didnt think I would use.

Gonna be another VW weekend in the shop, can't wait. Razz

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up most of what I need to build the press brake for my HF 20 ton press.

Also picked up some sheilding gas and a sheet of 12ga to bend up some new floor supports/outriggers. Going to weld up the brake this weekend.

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press brake as it sits today. Ready to start fabbing outriggers.

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decoded my M Plate.
Bus was built on tuesday 8 June 1971
imported to Boston or Baltimore
as a 211 delivery van.

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting on the turn signal switch. Crying or Very sad
Ordered a bently and it shipped today. Very Happy
Amazing how a vacume leak affects the way it runs, Shocked the vacume port on the left intake that I am guessing was the vacume signal source when it had a vacume advance dist had a crack in the hose and bolt cap, fixed that and it runs good now. Cool
Glad the bus came with a new throttle cable, the one in it broke after being tied with electric wire, so I replaced it with the new one. Wink
Hopefully that turnsignal switch comes in, 3 day weekend in the shop coming up. Very Happy Laughing Wink May even work on the underside repairs since I have new sheilding gas, a sheet of steel and a new brake for the press. Twisted Evil

Oh, and the shift rod bushings came in yesterday!

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good weekend, turn signal switch came in and works good, even got a 3.5 mile drive in yesterday.

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been working on her just not posting much. Swapped out the 009 dist for a SVDA albieit a cheap one from CIP1. Got the historical tags, still have to get the year tags I have registered so she can wear them. The rebuilt carb is being obstinate when I try to set the idle with the high idle cam off. Bentley in its description of adjusting the 2 piece throtle valve positioner describes adjusting the altitude corrector but its not hooked up so I brought the book home from the shop to study some more. Confused

I found yesterday that the gas pedal and the linkage under the floor have had their holes elongated over the last 40 years or so causing the rod to get out of position and allow the pedal to get stuck down. Shocked
So I fixed it. Wink
Before:

After:

Welded the holes up then re-sized them with the grinder and a dremel type tool.
Put a new front shift rod bushing on and added a quick shift kit (Got one for the Baja too)

And found a cargo net in a Subaru Outback at the pick and pull when I went to see what I could salvage off a 72 Super Beetle I had seen there:

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had good weather, the bus running ok, and valid tags today, first time ever with all 3 at the same time. So I took her out for a bath.

And went and visited the parents today and dad had this old Naugahyde stuff he said I could have:

So I can re-do the seats.

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bus turned 41 today! Laughing I haven't had time to do much with it lately. I move it around the shop from time to time and start it when a friend asks if it runs. Did drive it a Memorial day weekend when the Baja was in the shop getting rear disc upgrade.
Anyway Happy BDay "Freedom Rock" as my brother calls it. Rolling Eyes

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled the bumper off to get repainted

Been working on getting a 62 bug running

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Birddog's '71 Sportsmobile Reply with quote

Got the urge to start working on this again, been awhile. Rolling Eyes

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Birddog's '71 Sportsmobile Reply with quote

birddog1148 wrote:

It's been 4 1/2 years since your last post. So it's definitely time to work on it again! Laughing

Has it been running well for you?

BTW.... I'm uber-jealous of your shop! I only have a one-car garage to work in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Birddog's '71 Sportsmobile Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
birddog1148 wrote:

It's been 4 1/2 years since your last post. So it's definitely time to work on it again! Laughing

Has it been running well for you?

BTW.... I'm uber-jealous of your shop! I only have a one-car garage to work in.

Been parked in the front room. Just put a new carb on it and dug it out so it was in the sun for the first time in many years. After a drop camp elk until this past fall I have had the urge to camp again and after tossing the idea of building a teardrop style camper and then just buying a pop up tent camper I decided I would pull it back out and put the money into the bus since I had it. Kind of walked away from VW's for a while and just picking up where I left off. Picked up a sweet MarkV one piece front end for my Baja this weekend as well.[img][/img]

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Birddog's '71 Sportsmobile Reply with quote

Just realized my dog (a GSD) shares the same Birthday as my bus

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Birddog's '71 Sportsmobile Reply with quote

So I had some time to get re-acquainted with this last night. Laying under it looking up making a mental list of what needs work, the rear jack points have me slightly confused. Does the jack point get welded to an outrigger or is it a separate piece that is attached to the big rail? Just want to make sure I order the right parts. Hopefully I will have some time this weekend to get some work done, especially since I made enough room to work in the shop.

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Birddog's '71 Sportsmobile Reply with quote

Got my question answered by calling Wolfsburg west. Going to need all the jack points, 4 outriggers, front crossmember, inner and middle rockers and a few rubber pieces. Looks like I will be spending more on parts than I spent on the bus Confused It is what it is. I still will have to repair what I am calling the frame around the torsion and repair the rear crossmember.
On the inside the cabinets are not in the greatest shape, thinking about painting them to lightens the interioright up.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: