Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need a fuel filler neck asap near Sacramento
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
farang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Need a fuel filler neck asap near Sacramento Reply with quote

We are on our way from Placerville to SanFrancisco and I just noticed at the gas station that I seem to be pumping fuel directly onto the ground ( via my rusted out battery tray)

I can look into the little slit from the engine compartment and watch the fuel drip from very close to the filler. So I gues I'm in need of a fuel filler neck.

Is this something I can swap on the side of the road? I've only got a few gallons in the tank. Can anyone help us out?
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Need a fuel filler neck asap near Sacramento Reply with quote

farang wrote:

Is this something I can swap on the side of the road? I've only got a few gallons in the tank. Can anyone help us out?

without knowing what year bus and kind of engine and fuel delivery you have it's hard to say. i've done the filler neck on buses with type 4 and FI with the engine in place. it's by far easier with the engine out.
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on the road and need a work around, you could go to a Flaps and get a fuel rated line that is wider than the pump nozzle, and run it down the filler neck and into your tank. Then fill slooooowly. Not the greatest fix, and very temporary, but it could help if you are in a bind.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need a fuel filler neck asap near Sacramento Reply with quote

farang wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Adding the basics about your bus to your signature line would be very helpful right now Wink

A filler neck swap on the side of the road isn't a job I'd want to tackle, most require a tank pull. If you don't have AAA I hope you have a really big fire extinguisher on board.I can't think of a remotely safe way to sneak some gas in using those goofy California smog nozzles, sorry.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
One Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please verify that your your not just pumping gas on the ground because of Californias vapor capture system...I know it sounds ridiculous but on my recent trip from pickig up my new bus in San Fransisco to Southern Cal, I more than one occasion struggled with the Cal gas pump and put quite abit of fuel on the side of the bus and under the bus.

Ray

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=489967
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a long funnel like they use for tranny fluid.. that will get u home Cool . where you can pull the engine to get the cover off the tank in 68-72

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
grtfldan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A filler neck is on the way sit tight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tank was full and you found the gas it could something as simple as the vent system. You really to give us more information.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
via my rusted out battery tray

could be the neck or could be the funky systems we have here EXCEPT he mentioned the battery tray. If you cannot find one you are looking at keeping the tank 1/2 full. Ouch. I have one for a late bay and live in Sacramento but it is a new genuine VW of Germany one and to part with it would be a lot more than you would pay for a repop. One alternative is to hang out in a local motel and have Wolfsburg West over night one out of Los Angeles. Another alternative would be to hit the Pick and Pull in So Sac as they have a 1976 "TYPE 4" which usually means a bay in their language. The Rocklin and So Sac Pick and Pull also have a 1969 and 1970 bay. You might be able to snag the part off one of them.

I doubt if Bugformance or Kombi Haus would have one but start with Kombi Haus first.
farang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I was able to use a funnel to fill it very slowly. I think we might just contenue on this way and try to get it fixed in sf. If anyone can reccomend a place in sf that woulde be great.

I'm not really capible of removing the engine. I was hoping for an easier fix!

I have a 77 weary with weber carb (formally fi) with a type 4 motor

might just stick with the funnel until we get to sf.

Anybody know of any good rustic camp spots between sac and sf?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want scenic you want to camp before you come down from Placerville or Cameron Park. You are only 2 hours from SF. Once you get much west of Sacramento it is all flat farm land until you hit the Coastal Range and cities of the bay. Folsom Lake has camping but I don't know how the reservation system works. The cities you will pass thru are Davis, Winters, Dixon, Vacaville and Fairfield then you are getting to the bay cities.
tubdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
via my rusted out battery tray

could be the neck or could be the funky systems we have here EXCEPT he mentioned the battery tray. If you cannot find one you are looking at keeping the tank 1/2 full. Ouch. I have one for a late bay and live in Sacramento but it is a new genuine VW of Germany one and to part with it would be a lot more than you would pay for a repop. One alternative is to hang out in a local motel and have Wolfsburg West over night one out of Los Angeles. Another alternative would be to hit the Pick and Pull in So Sac as they have a 1976 "TYPE 4" which usually means a bay in their language. The Rocklin and So Sac Pick and Pull also have a 1969 and 1970 bay. You might be able to snag the part off one of them.

I doubt if Bugformance or Kombi Haus would have one but start with Kombi Haus first.

yes the south sac pick n pull has a 76 bus in it
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about using a radiator hose as a temporary fix? I would think you could find one a bit smaller then the tank fill tube and just shove it down in. The gas nozzle should fit in it fairly easy. Just and idea. Very Happy

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drain tube from the fresh air box would be ideal too Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
farang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make matters worse I lost my gas cap too! I knew I was going to forget that on the bumper sooner or later. So my fuel problems have expanded!

Hoping to resolve all of these issues when I make it to SF. I am currently camping along the Sonoma Coast and bouncing around looking for free rustic camping.

Are there any junk yards near SF that might have a gas cap?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

farang wrote:
To make matters worse I lost my gas cap too! I knew I was going to forget that on the bumper sooner or later. So my fuel problems have expanded!

Hoping to resolve all of these issues when I make it to SF. I am currently camping along the Sonoma Coast and bouncing around looking for free rustic camping.

any FLAPS Stant 11726 . Remove the handle with screws from the back and you can take the extra text off then put the handle back.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

farang wrote:

Dude, can't you just go to a Flaps and buy one?

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
farang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I didnt realize this was available at Auto parts Stores, imagine that.

Very Happy
farang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone in San Francisco have a starter for a 77 westy? I've had trouble starting the bus lately.

Also, I know driveways are not common in this lovely city, but if anyone does have some driveway space that I can use for a day or two for repairs after the Holidays that would be great.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whack the side of the solenoid with hammer gently if it doesn't start.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: