Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

transmission options from Rancho
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: transmission options from Rancho Reply with quote

They have some interesting options, aside from insane priceing for some what are yer opinions?
http://ranchotransaxles.com/
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did a transmission for my old ABA swapped westy and did a great job. It has been on the road for over 5 years with it now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=115393&highlight=rancho

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more looking for opinions on there other trans axles they sell, not just there rebuilds. Mainly the Weddle transaxle: http://ranchotransaxles.com/weddle-transaxles.html
This trans axle is a "Vanagon hybrid". Seems as though it can handle more then a Vanagons trans as well...
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$7grand for a trans? HAHAHA.
NO.
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
$7grand for a trans? HAHAHA.
NO.

You should see or hear the prices of the other trans they sell!!!! Shocked
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Standard ring and pinion ratios are 5.154 and 5.43

You would have to run 30's to even make the gearing work(back to stock). Not syncro compatible. The starter goes on the top/middle making it unusable in a vanagon.
Built for sand rail crowd and desert buggies, who knows if it will even work in a vanagon.
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Quote:
Standard ring and pinion ratios are 5.154 and 5.43

You would have to run 30's to even make the gearing work(back to stock). Not syncro compatible. The starter goes on the top/middle making it unusable in a vanagon.
Built for sand rail crowd and desert buggies, who knows if it will even work in a vanagon.

Standard but i am sure they could do whatever ring and pinion you want/will pay for. Just looked again and the starter location wouldn't work....
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nice, but thats a lot of money
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it.

Let us know how it works out.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuids get kind of pricey too.. as are new R&Ps.

I don't think I'd be going that route, myself.. not at $7k.. but its always good to see there's a higher end product being built. Maybe there's something similar on the "used" sandrail parts market.. like the Medolas.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
wvukidsdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dredward wrote:
Standard but i am sure they could do whatever ring and pinion you want/will pay for. Just looked again and the starter location wouldn't work....

Hard to say, the bellhousing is clearly a bolt on, maybe even compatible with stock perhaps losing that gusseting to the side covers, who knows. But I'd wager they (Weddle) have one for a stock starter location, those guys have always been pretty smart.

Everything Weddle has always done has been top notch. As to paying $7k for a tranny, well a lot of volks can cough up nearly that for an engine. So for a new performance tranny, probably not far off reality, about the same component investment. Price out a quality 094 build and you won't be so far off, see what it would take to build a NEW stock 4 speed (can you even get a NEW case) with NEW parts and I bet most would be terrified as well. To what point one would want to run this in a 2wd Vanagon, that I wouldn't know. Perhaps if you really have something making a true 225hp or more in there.

John
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wvukidsdoc wrote:
See what it would take to build a NEW stock 4 speed (can you even get a NEW case) with NEW parts and I bet most would be terrified as well. To what point one would want to run this in a 2wd Vanagon, that I wouldn't know. Perhaps if you really have something making a true 225hp or more in there.

John

So far, finding a good case has been my problem.. I pulled the trigger on a core last month and the case was badly corroded.. May need to pay more, I guess.

I'd run something like this in my 2WD.. but, I just haven't considered budgeting that much.. What's a complete 225hp capable rebuild cost? $3000+?
2x+ for this?

Dunno.. We shall see.

It would be fun though. I'll have room to run 30" ballons in the rear.. Do some 930s and maybe I'd have a Westy sand machine. Laughing

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my 1990 Vanagon box rebuilt at over 200K miles on it with a grinding 3rd gear. Typical 3/4 hub issues symptoms. So before it took a big crap I had them overhaul it. Even the later ones can have the dreaded 3/4 issue, it just comes later in life.

I had the 4th gear ratio changed, Weddle hardened 3/4 slider, Weddle hardened end cap (and machining,) and SA oiling plates added. My case was worn out and they put a used one in. They also set up my Small Car bell housing. Add all the usual stuff and what ever minor other things they corrected. $1600 and I used their recommended Lubratech gear oil to be sure.

Works fine. A little gear whine every now and then depending on load, but I using gears with over 200K on them so it is to be expected. No ring and pinion noise. It needs a bit of warming up at times too when the over night temps get to freezing.

No shipping, we delivered it to them. Been using the shop for decades now when we do not want to do the job ourselves. They are a decent bunch to work with.

I am happy.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
euromog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weddle has just released a bell housing for the HV1 Trans that has the starter in the traditional location. Or a Syncro TD gas tank might work?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

euromog wrote:
Weddle has just released a bell housing for the HV1 Trans that has the starter in the traditional location. Or a Syncro TD gas tank might work?

Or a custom fuel cell in the stock Syncro location Wink
mwsnow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
euromog wrote:

I've been thinking about a custom fuel tank, Dylan. Can you recommend a fabricator in the northeast?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwsnow wrote:
insyncro wrote:
euromog wrote:

I've been thinking about a custom fuel tank, Dylan. Can you recommend a fabricator in the northeast?

I don't.
I have only experimented with premade cells.
The fit is the only issue.
Many have wanted a Syncro tank that would allow for the engine and trans to be mounted higher...giving better ground clearance, also many wanting a larger tank.
Difficult proposition to have both.

I have access to TIG and all the parts, but no extra time to put it together.
I would gladly host a workgroup to design the ultimate Syncro fuel cell to have it produced by a manufacturer.

Switching to -AN fittings will be necessary and expensive for most.

Pressurized filling of the cell is another issue that local DMVs will be very curious about.
euromog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course in CA a different fuel tank would never pass the visual smog inspection. Hard to beat the molded poly fuel tanks for most capacity in a small oddball space. Even for the aftermarket they sell oversize tanks for the full size domestic trucks.

insyncro wrote:
mwsnow wrote:
insyncro wrote:
euromog wrote:

I don't.
I have only experimented with premade cells.
The fit is the only issue.
Many have wanted a Syncro tank that would allow for the engine and trans to be mounted higher...giving better ground clearance, also many wanting a larger tank.
Difficult proposition to have both.

I have access to TIG and all the parts, but no extra time to put it together.
I would gladly host a workgroup to design the ultimate Syncro fuel cell to have it produced by a manufacturer.

Switching to -AN fittings will be necessary and expensive for most.

Pressurized filling of the cell is another issue that local DMVs will be very curious about.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed John.

I have drawn up a fuel cell that would use some of the area under the rear seat in addition to the stock Syncro location.
I was trying to keep the center of gravity of the vehicle as close to stock as possible.
The bulkhead would have to be cut and the surrounding areas reinforced, but possible.
I don't like the feel of vans I've riden in with extra tanks in the mid section along the frame rails.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: