Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engel Fridge Alternatives
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hop2itinaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Engel Fridge Alternatives Reply with quote

Hey all,

I have been searching for alternatives to the fridge in my Westy. I keep landing on the Engel but I must admit that the price is lofty....

I am not a "go off the grid for days" type...just someone who likes to take out the westy on roadtrips with the fam now and then. I also appreciate cold beer when I arrive to my destination. I understand and respect that the swing compressor may be a great option but wonder if anyone out there has any experience with other brands that may work well for you and did not cost the same. Is Engel the only brand that utilizes this type of compressor? I am not looking for a replacement to the fridge but an external unit that holds more. I will be removing the fridge and making it into a cabinet upon its replacement.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Michael
Pioneer Valley Massachusetts
86 Westy with a 2.2 Suby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, I took my original westy fridge out and cleaned it/resealed it and kept it upside down for a couple of days and I can make ice with the outside temps still in the upper 90's

I did do a couple of mods though, since the interior of my westy was out during its resto, I insulated the heck outta the kitchen wall, I put a layer of sound damping material then reflex, then closedcell foam and then another layer of reflex. I also put header tape pipe wrap on the exhaust pipe leading out of the fridge. I'm pretty happy.

I too was like you and about to pull the trigger ona truckfridge....i'm glad I didn't cause money better saved up for an aux heater.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? you didn't find any of the ~100 truckfridge threads?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=truckfridge&search_forum=20

most specifically the "Fridge replacement projects - post here" Thread?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359831
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
For what its worth, I took my original westy fridge out and cleaned it/resealed it and kept it upside down for a couple of days and I can make ice with the outside temps still in the upper 90's

What does keeping the thing upside down for a couple of days do? [/headscratch]

Quote:
I did do a couple of mods though, since the interior of my westy was out during its resto, I insulated the heck outta the kitchen wall, I put a layer of sound damping material then reflex, then closedcell foam and then another layer of reflex. I also put header tape pipe wrap on the exhaust pipe leading out of the fridge. I'm pretty happy.[...]

What sources for sound damper and reflex? I used SPM for insulating our engine "room" on the boat, and it's kept heat and noise out of the cabin. It's easy to work with. But at 1 1/8" thick, is it too thick?

I like the idea of wrapping the exhaust pipe, to keep the heat in the exhausted gases out of the reefer area.
BigRigGifts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
really? you didn't find any of the ~100 truckfridge threads?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_keywords=truckfridge&search_forum=20

most specifically the "Fridge replacement projects - post here" Thread?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359831

So true, if you can't find what you are looking for in those threads ... I don't think you will ever find it.

Thanks for posting the search results ... it should help everyone looking for refrigerator solutions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Engel Fridge Alternatives Reply with quote

hop2itinaz wrote:
Hey all,

I have been searching for alternatives to the fridge in my Westy. I keep landing on the Engel but I must admit that the price is lofty....

I am not a "go off the grid for days" type...just someone who likes to take out the westy on roadtrips with the fam now and then. I also appreciate cold beer when I arrive to my destination. I understand and respect that the swing compressor may be a great option but wonder if anyone out there has any experience with other brands that may work well for you and did not cost the same. Is Engel the only brand that utilizes this type of compressor? I am not looking for a replacement to the fridge but an external unit that holds more. I will be removing the fridge and making it into a cabinet upon its replacement.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Michael
Pioneer Valley Massachusetts
86 Westy with a 2.2 Suby.

May not be exactly what you are looking for but I have enjoyed owning my Edgestar and at a
fraction of the price of the others.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...t=edgestar
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to wait until next years deal on this truck fridge, but that's what I was eyeballing after I read the install thread on it. http://www.bigriggifts.com/cgi-bin/acart/apple-search.pl?&action=viewprod&id=1305161349
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
purplepeopleeater wrote:

What does keeping the thing upside down for a couple of days do? [/headscratch]

Quote:
I did do a couple of mods though, since the interior of my westy was out during its resto, I insulated the heck outta the kitchen wall, I put a layer of sound damping material then reflex, then closedcell foam and then another layer of reflex. I also put header tape pipe wrap on the exhaust pipe leading out of the fridge. I'm pretty happy.[...]

What sources for sound damper and reflex? I used SPM for insulating our engine "room" on the boat, and it's kept heat and noise out of the cabin. It's easy to work with. But at 1 1/8" thick, is it too thick?

I like the idea of wrapping the exhaust pipe, to keep the heat in the exhausted gases out of the reefer area.

tipping it upside down gets all the coolent (ammonia?) and crystals form in the coils and tipping it upside down helps clear this.

thats the same kinda reflex I used.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Michael

unless I am confused your question was : "...Is Engel the only brand that utilizes this type of compressor?"

Well now you know about the upside down trick I hope it helps with your question. Brick wall

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PPE, thanks for the enlightenment on the inverted reefer. Smile
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are numerous options. Do you want to replace the Dometic fridge in a full camper cabinet or get a chest style fridge like the Engel?
hop2itinaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gl98115"]There are numerous options. Do you want to replace the Dometic fridge in a full camper cabinet or get a chest style fridge like the Engel?[/quote]

I am looking for a chest style like the Engel's that GW sells. I dont think I made that clear. To be MORE clear I am also looking around to see if anyone one knows of a manufacturer who makes one with one of those highly regarded "swing compressors" OTHER than Engel.

I am aware of the multiple threads that exist regarding fridge replacements however as in life things continually change, and with this question I am curious about these "swing compressors" in particular.

Thanks,

M
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Exhaust Wrap for Fridge Reply with quote

Purplepeopleeater or anyone who has used it. I saw you used exhaust wrap. I am thinking of putting exhaust wrap on my Dometic fridge exhaust pipe to reduce the heat behind the fridge. What kind of wrap did you use. Was it automotive header wrap and if so did it give off any smell or smoke at first? Does it overheat the pipe and crack it, or does it trap moisture and cause the pipe to rust. Is it safe to use inside our vehicles. I have looked at the wrap by Thermo-Tec and DEI. Does it help reduce the heat behind the fridge or is it a waste of time?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: