Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 project on its way
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldgit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: 65 project on its way Reply with quote

Hello and thank you guys for helping with some of the questions I have had answers here on the Forum. I really got into my project today. First a bit of history(I will bore you with this but I am a bit excited) I got the car from a guy a few years ago that was going to junk it. He had paid to have it restored but whoever he had do the work did not do such a good job. I will remedy the problems as I find them. I have had the car in storage in many places over the last few years finally ending up in my fathers garage for the last 2 years because I had lost my job and could not afford the storage fees. When I finally found work I had forgotten about the little car until about a month ago, when someone made me a offer to buy it. I had mentioned it to dad and he told me he kind of hoped I would keep it, because he liked it and would like to have it but it was up to me. I brought the car back to my house and put it in a neighbors garage, as my neighbor told me he would love to work on a project. This brings me today I have decided not to sell the car but to correct all the problems I have found(bad engine and trans) so far and fix whatever I do find. In the fall I hope to have this car finished at which time I will drive it back over to my fathers house and hand him the keys and title to the car he wanted but thought that he would get. Thanks Dad!
It will never be a show car but it will be a great daily driver.
What I started with...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Today...

66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm there must have been really something wrong with the engine and trans to warrant the body coming off the pan?

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
Greg Reid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 65 project on its way Reply with quote

oldgit wrote:
In the fall I hope to have this car finished at which time I will drive it back over to my fathers house and hand him the keys and title to the car he wanted but thought that he would get. Thanks Dad!
It will never be a show car but it will be a great daily driver.

That's a great story. I'd love to do something like that for my Dad...if he were still around. Nice looking paint too.
PS- I'm assuming you meant to say "thought he would never get"
oldgit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

The project is going a bit slower than I had hoped but its getting there. I had found so much wrong with the car I decided to check every thing.
Things I found wrong and have fixed:
1 Broken pinion gear teeth, loose ring gear, broken teeth on spider and side gears(Rebuilt Rancho trans)
2 Worn out axle shafts (New Sway away)
3 A half inch of sand in the tunnel from being sandblasted (removed sand)
4 Sand in the brake lines(Every brake part replaced)
5 Frayed accelerator and clutch cables (Replaced)
6 Paint on floor pan flaked off easily (stripped and repainted pans and axles)
7 Floor pan only had welds in 2 spots per side(added few more)
I do feel sorry for the previous owner that paid to have the work done to this car. He got ripped off. I am trying to find out the name of the shop he paid to restore the car, so no one else gets ripped off.
mattbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice 65.

It looks like the same colour as my 63.

eagle5127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldgit...I sent you a PM requesting to order a set of the reservoir adaptors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: