Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! How Do I Prove My Westy's Value To Insurance Company?!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy smokes! What happenned to that white one!

This topic is good to think about, we're going to be taking a 5-6 month vacay in the westy, boondockin, KOA, anything goes.. havin the van insured for the van itself, and the contents also comes to mind.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:
Holy smokes! What happenned to that white one!

This topic is good to think about, we're going to be taking a 5-6 month vacay in the westy, boondockin, KOA, anything goes.. havin the van insured for the van itself, and the contents also comes to mind.

2Ply wrote:
The accident happened in Washington State where I live a year ago in Sept. The wife was driving and I was in our other Syncro Westy. She fell asleep and flipped the van end over end at 55 MPH

Short story was: he had to look for "comparable" Vans that had sold in the last 90 days locally. If he could not find them locally, the search would expand until one was found. Comparable vehicles were not available until reaching the Go Westy group. The final appraisal came out to $84,000.

Seems like this could work well BEFORE an accident as well for a well sorted Syncro Westy. Have an informed Syncro Westy appraisal done when your van is in top shape, then keep that $350.00 insurance in your pocket just in case. Idea
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a list of reputable appraisors for Canada or a link to it? I am going to have mine appraised before renewing my insurance in the spring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
Does anyone have a list of reputable appraisors for Canada or a link to it? I am going to have mine appraised before renewing my insurance in the spring.

possibly?
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now why did I know someone would come up with that. Smile I'm talking a reputable, known entity. I'll ask around all the Vanagon professionals in the area. Thanks for nothing as usual.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kejidog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:
DAIZEE wrote:

possibly?

BRILLIANT!
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kejidog wrote:
carterzest wrote:
DAIZEE wrote:

possibly?

BRILLIANT!
..a licensed classic car appraiser of your province ...
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you all know, my insurance company said they won't take an appraisal unless it is done at the time of the incident or crash. Appraisers are trained to assess the pre-loss condition of a vehicle. All you need to do is keep records and receipts to prove you've maintained the car. An appraisal is a waste of money unless you are using it to determine value for a fixed type policy. It will do you no good at the time of an accident.

Think about it in the same way as a home appraisal. You need to show current value, not value two or three years old. If you have an accident five years after you have an appraisal, it's totally worthless. Market value and vehicle condition changes over any period of time.

Save your money and don't waste it on an appraisal.
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Just to let you all know, my insurance company said they won't take an appraisal unless it is done at the time of the incident or crash. Appraisers are trained to assess the pre-loss condition of a vehicle so they know what it looked like prior to an incident. All you need to do is keep records and receipts to prove you've maintained the car. An appraisal is a waste of money unless you are using it to determine value for a fixed type policy. It will do you no good at the time of an accident.

Think about it in the same way as a home appraisal. You need to show current value, not value two or three years old. If you have an accident five years after you have an appraisal, it's totally worthless. Market value and vehicle condition changes over any period of time.

Save your money and don't waste it on an appraisal.
..interesting..but where I live an appraisal from an independent licensed person is mandatary to secure an understood valve..get it done every so often as recommended..it turns out to be rather inexpensive if you use the same person again in the future..
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't buy that logic. While your insurance company told you they wouldn't accept an appraisal before an accident it would be another tool in your tool box to establish the pre-crash value. If not for the insurance company it would be useful for yourself. Insurance companies will do almost anything to reduce their payouts and you the owner, with information on the value of your vehicle is their worst nightmare.

An appraisal (with lots of pictures) is an independent valuation of your vehicle and very valid. The pictures from the appraisal show the van and the written appraisal backs it up. It's going to be hard to convince the adjuster of how perfect your paint and body work was on your van while is lying banged upped and crumpled on it side in a ditch. The difference between a "perfect paint" and "painted" can be huge. Some folks on the Samba have reported $10,000 paint jobs on their vans. A $1,000 bucks will get a van painted, that's $9,000 you could be out.

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPrato wrote:
I don't buy that logic. While your insurance company told you they wouldn't accept an appraisal before an accident it would be another tool in your tool box to establish the pre-crash value. If not for the insurance company it would be useful for yourself. Insurance companies will do almost anything to reduce their payouts and you the owner, with information on the value of your vehicle is their worst nightmare.

An appraisal (with lots of pictures) is an independent valuation of your vehicle and very valid. The pictures from the appraisal show the van and the written appraisal backs it up. It's going to be hard to convince the adjuster of how perfect your paint and body work was on your van while is lying banged upped and crumpled on it side in a ditch. The difference between a "perfect paint" and "painted" can be huge. Some folks on the Samba have reported $10,000 paint jobs on their vans. A $1,000 bucks will get a van painted, that's $9,000 you could be out.

You can disagree with your "opinion", but think about it. What good is proving what my van was worth a few years ago, or even what you paid for it. What matters is value TODAY, not three years ago. I asked a lot of questions of my appraiser when my van was totaled. He said they are able to tell how good the paint is even after a wreck. They don't care how good it was five years ago though. Do you think a $10,000 paint job is still worth $10,000 after 7-8 years? No. You can think an old appraisal is helpful, but it really isn't. Call your own agent and ask on your own. Like very few others, I've actually had to go through this experience and my knowledge is first hand, not conjecture.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petervw wrote:
..interesting..but where I live an appraisal from an independent licensed person is mandatary to secure an understood valve..get it done every so often as recommended..it turns out to be rather inexpensive if you use the same person again in the future..

That's what I said, it's only worthwhile for an agreed or stated value policy. If you don't have one of these, it has no real use. I am not familiar with the laws in Canada or in other states. Just where I live.
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty I'm not disputing your experience, you obviously went through it first hand. I definitely believe your insurance company did/would not pay attention to an appraisal, that their right and their problem! The value of your van AFTER the accident is not much. It may be only worth scrap value. The appraiser has to guess what your van was worth before the crash. Does he/she know Westys? I doubt it. With out an appraisal you are solely trusting the adjuster to come up with value. I don't think that is a good idea. With an appraisal you have an point in time and a value. It also documents condition which may be more important that value. You can work from there. It's another piece of information you have to get to current value. If it was done 2 years ago and you only put 4,000 miles on, explain to me how the condition significantly change in that time? His/her explanation will give you points to argue with. If it's 5 years ago and you ran up 50k miles since, well I'm not sure it will help much.

Do YOU know what your van is worth? Really? Most everybody thinks their van is worth a fortune. They might have put 1,000 or hours and lots of money into it fixing it up. You can pull out all your receipts and add them to what you paid for it, that's one way to figure a value. What about your time? The insurance adjuster will totally disregard that! The tiger cloth interior and ghetto wheels you put on may have actually decreased the value too. Very Happy Seriously, the work you did may not be up to standards or it could have been tasteful and the finest workmanship around. An appraisal give you an independent idea of what your van was worth, at a point of time. Take that, and what comparable vans are selling for now and you can figure out what YOU think the van is worth. This gives you the information to evaluate what the appraiser is telling you what your crashed van was worth before it got smashed. Should you take the offer or fight on. The more information you have the better off you can make that decision.

That's my opinion and I'll respect yours. That's the beauty, people are free to do what ever they like.

46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP- you misunderstood what I said. My adjuster had no idea what my van was worth. I did not go with the adjuster. After the accident, I hired an Appraiser do determine value. They determine PRE-CRASH value. That's what I'm saying; trust the appraiser to determine a pre-crash value, not the adjuster. But the appraisal has to be done right after the accident, not before.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, my story... I had my Westy appraised by my insurance company's recommended appraiser in order to establish value. He took pictures, looked at receipts, and documented the condition of the vehicle. It was fortunate that I did the appraisal. A few months later it had an engine fire and TOTALLY burnt to the ground. There was nothing left with which to determine the pre-fire condition. If not for that appraisal I would have been TOTALLY screwed. As it was I got a fair market value ($17,000) for it and was able to buy another Westy and start over. (Even if it was years after the appraisal until the engine fire I still would have been able to have a great starting point for establishing value after subtracting normal wear and tear for the years/miles from that appraisal.) YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
JP- you misunderstood what I said. My adjuster had no idea what my van was worth. I did not go with the adjuster. After the accident, I hired an Appraiser do determine value. They determine PRE-CRASH value. That's what I'm saying; trust the appraiser to determine a pre-crash value, not the adjuster. But the appraisal has to be done right after the accident, not before.

yup, I did. Thanks, I will remember that point.

46 Cessna 140
Peter Smalley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest how I might find an appraiser acceptable to an insurance company? I am in the SF Bay Area. Also, how much can I expect to pay for such a service? Thanks for any suggestions.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance Reply with quote

Peter Smalley wrote:
Can anyone suggest how I might find an appraiser acceptable to an insurance company? I am in the SF Bay Area. Also, how much can I expect to pay for such a service? Thanks for any suggestions.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604318&highlight=appraiser

Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Mark70baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very easy to prove how much they sell for. Tell your Insurance person to head on out and try and purchase one. I'm sure they'll come back with higher replacement cost numbers.

Find a good Insurance Broker and appraiser. I've been with the same guy since 1998. He goes over my account at least twice a year to see if things can be improved. Since we signed on things just keep getting better and better. More better coverage and less money out. My wife totaled our 2007 Jeep two years ago and my insurance company paid out quite a bit more than I was expecting. Very pleasant surprise and no increases to boot.

82 Vanagon with ASI Full Camper Conversion, 2010 Jeep Rubicon
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIRST, insurance co.s make money by collecting it from you, investing it, and then not paying out or paying out as little as possible. Screwing you over is part of the biz model for most insurance co.s.

2nd, Some are better than others. Heavily advertised ones are usually bad, and State Farm has a particularly odious record in home and auto, including fraud. Search up Calif. cases for more. Your state likely ranks them by consumer complaints. Oregon does and USAA is best (if you qualify), with Amica coming in 2nd. Cheap rates often equals poor coverage in fact (no matter what they promise you).

Insurance companies subscribe to a large database of car values. The database co. keeps values LOW because they enjoy being paid by the ins. co.s. No, it is not fair.

Appraisals are very useful. If the iins. co. says we don't accept them, you will then file a complaint with your state ins. commission and/or consumer protection bureau. Send them the appraisal and let the ins. co. argue with them. They have undue influence with the state agency but it will help. No, it is not fair.

Next, you will see if you agree with the settlement the state ins. agency gets. If not, then you need TWO UNCLES.

You first go to your Uncle Frank, who is a lawyer. He sends a letter to the ins. co. and then files a law suit against them. He tells them he will try to get it certified as a class action. The case will probably settle.

If that does not work, you next go to your second uncle, Uncle Luigi. Uncle Luigi does not write letters. Uncle Luigi is "connected" and he will send a couple of his associates to pay a personal visit to some of the ins. co. employees. You may or not get your money out of them, but ....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: