Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! How Do I Prove My Westy's Value To Insurance Company?!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
My Ontario Ins. company required a professional appraisal before they would insure such an old vehicle-to prove that it wasn't a piece of junk or a liability to them. However, the adjuster has the final say as to value.He/she will concider the market value,condition,etc. If you disagree with the valuation I've heard the appraiser will testify to the worth if it goes to court .

My insurer was happy to say that the value was about 6300 dollars. I had to have an appraisal based on a thorough account of it's condition from A - Z before they would accept the value at 15,500.

You gotta be careful. They would have fought me tooth and nail if it got written off without the appraisal by a NOTABLE appraiser. Have local insurance companies suggest one to use that has a good reputation.

Now what really sucks here is that I wanted antique insurance being over 25 years old, no one would give it to me because it is a camper. They took one look at the appraisals and said no, all the companies I found ... Sad ...
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironic, I was at my insurance company yesterday getting one of my bikes on the road and asked about an appraiser, as I felt the overall work on my van was complete aside from minor future upgrades and that it is prudent to get it appraised.

The woman at front desk stated to me that they do not, and will not recommend an appraiser. I have to find one on my own and even doing such, there is guarantee that the insurance company will accept that appraisal in the future. It is helpful in justifying the stated value claim though.

That being said, I received a call a little later from the woman whom I have been dealing with for my insurance needs for years (likely 20 plus, for cars, motorcycles and house) and she said she was calling from her cell phone. Her company was unaware of the call and that she wanted to provide a name of an appraiser in our area that has been particularly successful with claims in the recent past. 😎

Point is - you can get an appraisal, but as she stated there is no guarantee the insurance company will accept it. The appraisal will assist in a court case though, as will documentation and maintenance records.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can really go far wrong getting an appraisal from an accredited appraiser and keeping it as a 'just in case'. It can only help you to establish value in the event the vehicle is not able to be appraised after the event (stolen and not recovered, burnt to a shell, etc).

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I don't think you can really go far wrong getting an appraisal from an accredited appraiser and keeping it as a 'just in case'. It can only help you to establish value in the event the vehicle is not able to be appraised after the event (stolen and not recovered, burnt to a shell, etc).

Great point. Guess I was only thinking about an accident, not a vehicle that is stolen and not recovered.
Calling my guy tomorrow.
LP
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to get an appraisal and believe it will help. I also keep all my receipts. And I am gong to keep comparable for sale ads when I see something similar. I think they do use market value in a loss. Even GEICO where I was insured as a stock 7 passenger van had a specialty appraiser come up with a value on my (engine and camper) conversion. However, when it came time for renewal, they cancelled coverage because they don't insure conversions. I found both engine conversions and camper conversions eliminated me from most carriers. No built in toilet was also an RV exclusion.

The insurance I switched to wouldn't let me do agreed value because I had a fender bender 2 years ago. I got regular issurance for now. They said the only things that might cause an issue establishing value is if it is stolen or totaled. I know that isn't that great, but I didin't find any options for full coverage on a non-garaged, conversion camper clone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: