Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barn find 59 Euro ragtop
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YouBugMe58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caleb0101 wrote:
YouBugMe58 wrote:
I was asked by a fellow Samber member to post pictures of my headliner. I did not realize I had miss that so here they are. If any particular areas wanted just message me. Unless I made a mess of it.

Why did you cover the visors with the headliner material? they would of originally looked like this

My car did not have those, It had vinyl covered ones. Since I didn't go OG on the interior I wanted the visors to match. I had a set available but again decided to go with matching one.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Only 3 things matter in life, Those you Love, Those whom Love you and Your final Destination! Enjoy Them.
Seriously - If there is something you don't like about my car keep it to yourself.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done fall foliage shots!

How is the braking performance now with the front discs? Is there a noticeable improvement even with light to moderate braking?
YouBugMe58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Well done fall foliage shots!

How is the braking performance now with the front discs? Is there a noticeable improvement even with light to moderate braking?

Much better, there is no lag and takes lot less pressure to stop. I plan on doing the rear in a year or so. (when I can afford it, I'm broke now. Had to retire due to my health.). Enjoying the ride.
Only 3 things matter in life, Those you Love, Those whom Love you and Your final Destination! Enjoy Them.
Seriously - If there is something you don't like about my car keep it to yourself.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have a '64 Ghia with the original drum brake setup and have been considering front discs for a few years. Your opinion contributes to pursuing them sooner than later.

We're less than an hour from the new year, so I wish you better health in 2015 and hope you can continue enjoying the drives in the Beetle.
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YouBugMe58 wrote:
caleb0101 wrote:
YouBugMe58 wrote:
I was asked by a fellow Samber member to post pictures of my headliner. I did not realize I had miss that so here they are. If any particular areas wanted just message me. Unless I made a mess of it.

Why did you cover the visors with the headliner material? they would of originally looked like this

My car did not have those, It had vinyl covered ones. Since I didn't go OG on the interior I wanted the visors to match. I had a set available but again decided to go with matching one.

So that means that at one point in time a previous owner swaped out the mirror for a 60 and up one. I personally like the clear plastic ones better but is your car and if you like it then it's good.
YouBugMe58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caleb0101 wrote:
YouBugMe58 wrote:
caleb0101 wrote:
YouBugMe58 wrote:

So that means that at one point in time a previous owner swaped out the mirror for a 60 and up one. I personally like the clear plastic ones better but is your car and if you like it then it's good.

WOW.
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Shocked , indeed, very nice work!

you can have everything you want, just don't want so much!

"the wrong way always seems the more reasonable."
george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Mark Twain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGTHUG
Samba's Rented Mule

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just re read all of this, I remember starting this a couple of years ago and came across it again. I'm glad to see it finished.
I'm in the same boat as you on health, so I fully understand when you say you don't feel like messing with it for awhile, even though you still think about it while resting. I feel more motivated to finish mine now, I haven't touched it in almost a year. I wish I had help like you do, seems you can't even find good help even if you pay them.
The car turned out great, and glad you can drive it, sure makes them more enjoyable.

1963 15 window bus
1966 VW bug
1966 21 window micro bus
1969 Dune Buggy
1965 VW bug
1974 VW bug
1972 Kelmark, VW drive line
1948 Chevrolet Hearse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YouBugMe58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGTHUG wrote:
I just re read all of this, I remember starting this a couple of years ago and came across it again. I'm glad to see it finished.
I'm in the same boat as you on health, so I fully understand when you say you don't feel like messing with it for awhile, even though you still think about it while resting. I feel more motivated to finish mine now, I haven't touched it in almost a year. I wish I had help like you do, seems you can't even find good help even if you pay them.
The car turned out great, and glad you can drive it, sure makes them more enjoyable.

Thank you BUGTHUG, I don't get on Samba much. Hope you get better and get motivated to work on yours some. I still have health problems. I spent Mothers Day in the ER, Seems one of my stints had scar tissue on it and I was 80% blocked again. All is good now, I just finished repairing a Power wheels Bug for my grand daughters and painted to look as much like my 59 as much as I could. Ill post a picture.
YouBugMe58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up this PowerWheels Beetle from road side trash along with several other off brands of kids riding toys. It started life as a pink andpurple Barbie buggie. I modified some wheels from a toy 4 wheeler to fit and painted it as much as possable to be simular to my 59. The only thing wrong with it was the floor peddel switch. cost me around $8 to repair and about $15 worth of paint. Now I just need a roof rack to take it to car shows with me.
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well things have been crazy this last month. This beetle has become Dads daily driver, and as with normal things daily drivers work out all the kinks. His starter has gone out as of today, he sent me a picture of a drill he used on the generator to crank it Laughing The generator pulley is also bad along with the shims. He heard a noise in the back, thought thats what it was and sure enough had already messed the hole up on shims and pulley. Got to dig through my stuff see if I can get him back on the road. What all 36hp stuff will cross over if we have to use a later pulley and or starter.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a starter ordered for it should be able to pick it up today, and he ordered a new pulley and shims. Now the passanger side rear wheel seal is leaking again. Not sure what is going on there I even loaned my VW oe wheel seal installer to put it in make sure it was all correct. If memory is correct they don't have a oring on the shaft so got to figure this one out.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good to go now! I used a tap and tapped the starter bushing, that way i could use a bolt to pull it out. Worked perfectly, installed a new bushing and a Bosch starter. Now it cranks better than it ever has, hes back on the road.
65 dlx Slow build
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 59 Euro ragtop Reply with quote

I just wanted to say great work, love the bug and all the work you did. I have been though your build many times for inspiration. I wanted to know when you painted the car what did you use for air flow or did you? I hope to have mine look half as good.
YouBugMe58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 59 Euro ragtop Reply with quote

Dake wrote:
I just wanted to say great work, love the bug and all the work you did. I have been though your build many times for inspiration. I wanted to know when you painted the car what did you use for air flow or did you? I hope to have mine look half as good.

I used a Box fan (cheep one) under the garage door, sealed all the openings with cardboard and plastic sheathing. I used a small 115v window unit to remove as much moisture as possible. On the window unit I made duck work out of cardboard. I let it pull air from inside the workshop and ducked the conditioned air into the paint area. I have humidity sensor and I waited till the humidity outside was at least below 70% so the unit could make it around 55 to 60% supply air. If you look back where I was painting (sections 19 - 20 ) you can see on one of the walls where I had ducked air in and had the roll up door sealed up with some foam board. no pictures of the fan though. Did i loose you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27
Jump to:
Page 27 of 27

Jump to: