Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What starter to buy.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What starter to buy. Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
One thing that might help your search:

Bosch SR17X is the part number for a rebuilt starter

Bosch SR17N is the part number for a new starter

AH! That is immensely helpful. Thanks for that important clarification! Most appreciated! Applause

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What starter to buy (more on the topic) Reply with quote

Here's some more clarification on the start thread, based upon what I have learned in my researches into the subject of Thing starters.

As has already been pointed out, the 'X' suffix alphanumeric at the end of SR17X signifies a rebuilt or remanufactured unit. For unknown reasons, some sellers do not distinguish between 'new' stock and 'rebuilt' stock (thus one will find starters offered on EvilBay as 'new' when they are in fact actually 'newly remanufactured'). The 'N' suffix alphanumeric (as in Bosch SR15N) signifies completely 'new' manufacture (not just newly rebuilt).

Up until recently, the original Thing-type starter (Bosch SR17 type) was no longer available as a completely new unit (SR17N), so the only available direct replacements (excluding any use of Bug/Bus/914 starters) were rebuilt Bosch SR17X units. These are commonly offered from a number of sources, the best having been rebuilt by Bosch themselves (in Mexico).

Very recently, Bosch has started to offer a completely NEW starter motor known as the SR15N. This starter comes in two styles, one commonly known as the 'long shaft' model (with a bushing spindle that projects beyond the cog wheel) and the 'short shaft' model (with only the cog wheel--no projecting bushing spindle). The newly offered Bosch SR15N starter is perfectly suited for use on the Thing, if you don't want to source out a reliably rebuilt SR17X unit. However, due to some seller imprecision in their product descriptions, you need to specifically request the 'short shaft' SR15N unit. The 'long shaft' unit is more commonly used on Type 1 Bugs, etc.

As regards reliability. some have observed that rebuilt units (even Bosch) may eventually suffer from difficulties and seemingly this observation stems from the fact that when they are rebuilt, older internal 'hold' and 'pull' wire windings in the attached solenoid body may still be used if they appear visually to be still usable. Thus, if they are in fact actually NOT in good condition, problems may occur down the road even if this is ostensibly a 'newly remanufactured' starter unit. There's an interesting article written by a chap on this not-much discussed problem that is viewable here: http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=141

At any rate, after MUCH deliberation and consideration of various options (that include using starters originally provided on Volks-Porsche 914-4 and other VW cars, which are also use the SR17 type), I've elected to go for the NEW Bosch SR15N starter motor being offered by CIP-1 and 'The Thing Shop', among others (instead of a rebuilt Bosch SR17X, which would be my backup-alternative choice). I have a completely stock Thing, so no extra or excessive torque is required to start my engine other than the standard stock torque rating.

OK. this is a lot of info to digest & ruminate on and I HOPE I've gotten it all straight here. Please feel free to correct me if I have erred in any of the above assertions. Also, hopefully, this thread will help out others who have needlessly agonised (like me) over what to replace their starter motor units with! Pray

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What starter to buy. Reply with quote

One more point to add. German Motor Works (Things for the Thing) Garden Grove,CA < Greg and Arda > offer the SR15N (NEW) for $185 They also offer SR17X (actual Bosch factory complete rebuilt starters that require a turned-in core or a $30 core fee) for $138. I would gladly personally vouch for these folks as being one of the most reliable folks in the Thingdom. If you buy a starter from them, they will stand behind its reliabllity. They are very honest about the origin and quality of their stuff. Over the years we have had many dealing back and forth and they have always been very positive and reliable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What starter to buy. Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
One more point to add. German Motor Works (Things for the Thing) Garden Grove,CA < Greg and Arda > offer the SR15N (NEW) for $185 They also offer SR17X (actual Bosch factory complete rebuilt starters that require a turned-in core or a $30 core fee) for $138. I would gladly personally vouch for these folks as being one of the most reliable folks in the Thingdom. If you buy a starter from them, they will stand behind its reliabllity. They are very honest about the origin and quality of their stuff. Over the years we have had many dealing back and forth and they have always been very positive and reliable.

Thanks for that purchasing vector, Kubelmann. It's always good to know which sellers are 'Thing-friendly' (as opposed to "Oh...a Thing?...well, I suppose you can use this on them" type dealer responses). All is well in the 'Thingdom' (to use your nifty word). Laughing

hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What starter to buy. Reply with quote

Amazon has SR15N's for $145.51.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-SR15N-New-Starter/dp/...osch+SR15N

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What starter to buy. Reply with quote

I've noted a few sellers, selling what they claim are Bosch SR15N units. What varies from seller to seller is the core-charge. Some sellers do not have a core charge, some do. I would imagine that (assuming the unit is a REAL and not counterfit Bosch manufactured unit) the logical criteria for selection would be 'low cost' and no core charge (most 'bang for the buck', as it were). The seller on Amazon you mentioned doesn't appear to have a core-charge associated with his $145 unit. Interesting. Thanks.

hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What starter to buy. Reply with quote

Windisch wrote:
The seller on Amazon you mentioned doesn't appear to have a core-charge associated with his $145 unit. Interesting. Thanks.

Amazon is the seller.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What starter to buy. Reply with quote

Postscript: Managed to find the SR15N Bosch starter at CIP-1 for US$ 139. It arrived last week (the correct type, AKA: 'supported spindle', similar to the SR17X type) and is exactly what I was expecting...and no core charge. Not a bad price for a brand new Bosch starter. Since my present starter seems to be going strong, I'll keep it in reserve in the event my current unit ever craps out on me. The CIP-1 stock number, in case anyone is interested, is BOS-SR15N-NEW, and best of all they paid the shipping costs (since it was a sale item). Dancing

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: What starter to buy. Reply with quote

I bought a replacement for my Thing at Autozone. It was a rebuilt BOSH unit, and has a lifetime warranty. I got my alternator from there too, also with a warranty.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What starter to buy. Reply with quote

Worked for Meccedes, BMW, Porche, VW. Audie and never installed a new Bosch Starter Alternator, Generator always rebuilt.
GB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: