Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Flashlight & Fire Extinguisher Placement Ideas
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Need Flashlight & Fire Extinguisher Placement Ideas Reply with quote

Hey there guys... I need some Flashlight & Fire Extinguisher placement ideas for my '87 Westfalia. I was curious to see if anyone else were using these and mind sharing where they placed them.

12v flashlight (requires power)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fire extinguisher

my interior

Thanks!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our extinguisher is mounted vertically just inside the front edge of the slider mounted to the side wall. Might install a second mounted horizontally on the front of one of the seat pedestals, just in case.

Flashlights? we have several of the small LED ones and headlight ones sprinkled around.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Our extinguisher is mounted vertically just inside the front edge of the slider mounted to the side wall. Might install a second mounted horizontally on the front of one of the seat pedestals, just in case.

Flashlights? we have several of the small LED ones and headlight ones sprinkled around.

yea i like the idea of having one in both locations too. just in case
WestiCoast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my flash light behind the drivers seat. Mind is in a small basket but you could mount yours to the cabinet and run power thru the cabinet or down thru the battery box.
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where ever you decide to put them, IMO it’s best that they not be placed where passengers could encounter them in a crash VW and other OEM’s are quite careful not to put any hard & pointy object near belted in passengers :0)
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
the craigness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider an automatic unit in the engine bay. There is plenty of room in there to the right next to the air box. When these things burn, it's like the LA Riots... And it always starts in the engine bay.

http://www.vwcampervansuk.co.uk/servicingmot.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the craigness wrote:
You might want to consider an automatic unit in the engine bay. There is plenty of room in there to the right next to the air box. When these things burn, it's like the LA Riots... And it always starts in the engine bay.

http://www.vwcampervansuk.co.uk/servicingmot.html

yea ive seen those Blaze Cut ones here in the states... look like a cool design.
gene l
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my 5lb halon secured by the front table leg and parking brake so I can grab it from front or back. I also keep a 1 lb halon right inside the sliding door. Have flashlights all over the place.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thought I was the only one with a Halon still around.... Great stuff when you need it.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire Extinguisher in stock location (by sliding door), plus a 2nd one in the closet, 3rd one is a can of that instant spray and 4th is just a box of Baking beside instant spary.

My new prize is here:

I have other magnetic ones here and there. 1 to the left of the sliding door when you get into the camper. 2nd, on the dash. 3rd up in that rack behind the hatch.

Have one of these beside the other magnetic one on the bench and dash. It comes on automatically when you open the doors AND it's dark:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007D6Y58M/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just bought one of these, want it near the driver's seat somewhere:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00553X96Y/ref=oh_details_o01_s02_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Working on getting one of these and will keep it up front somewhere.

I probably have a battery operated LED one or two in that cord cupboard and drawer. Probably one in the glove box too.

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking you really need two extinguishers, one at the open sliding door and one near you in the drivers seat when your driving so it is at hand ready to go if something happens when your going down the road.
My own choice spot is on the inside of the drivers door so if you have to open the door to get it it is right in front of you, Trying to mount it on the door panel is a challenge I'm working on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: