Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A newbe with a few questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DUNTOVFAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:18 am    Post subject: A newbe with a few questions Reply with quote

I'm in the market for an early Bug,looking at a 62. In regards to lowering it is dropped spindles and an adjustable beam the best option or would an adjustable beam work,I want the car low,tires buried in the fenders. Can a big motor,2000cc + be made to be as reliable as a bone stock 1600?Do BRMs only come in one width,5/15 or do they come in wider sizes. What's the widest wheel-tire that will work on the rear. Will early Split bumpers bolt right up with no modifications. Thanks to all for any help,greatly appreciated.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: A newbe with a few questions Reply with quote

Dropped spindles and a narrowed beam sounds like what you want. And maybe lengthened trailing arms. And yes, a big engine can be just as reliable as a stock one. It just depends on how it`s done. BRM's can be found in 4.5, 5, and 6.5" widths. Probably a 215 is the widest that will fit with no issues. And split window Bug bumpers? That I couldn't say.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: A newbe with a few questions Reply with quote

Lots of details, and that makes the difference between a good handling, reliable car, and a skittery dog.
Best way is to find a local club and shows, and learn from their experiences, too.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/shows/
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=16
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/clubs/
DUNTOVFAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: A newbe with a few questions Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
Dropped spindles and a narrowed beam sounds like what you want. And maybe lengthened trailing arms. And yes, a big engine can be just as reliable as a stock one. It just depends on how it`s done. BRM's can be found in 4.5, 5, and 6.5" widths. Probably a 215 is the widest that will fit with no issues. And split window Bug bumpers? That I couldn't say.
Not sure I'd want a narrowed beam,years ago when I had a 65 all we had was an adjustable beam but I've been thinking about it. What aftermarket parts place is most popular meaning you can get just about everything you might need? Thanks for the info,greatly appreciated.
cory464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A newbe with a few questions Reply with quote

DUNTOVFAN wrote:
Bryan67 wrote:
Not sure I'd want a narrowed beam,years ago when I had a 65 all we had was an adjustable beam but I've been thinking about it. What aftermarket parts place is most popular meaning you can get just about everything you might need? Thanks for the info,greatly appreciated.

all the aftermarket suppliers are selling the same Chinese parts.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A newbe with a few questions Reply with quote

DUNTOVFAN wrote:
...tires buried in the fenders.

DUNTOVFAN wrote:
...Not sure I'd want a narrowed beam.

These two statements don't go together.
DUNTOVFAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A newbe with a few questions Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
DUNTOVFAN wrote:
...tires buried in the fenders.

DUNTOVFAN wrote:
...Not sure I'd want a narrowed beam.

These two statements don't go together.

Top of the front tire tucked into the fender. Haven't thought much about a narrowed front beam but might check into it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: