Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom camping interior ideas.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kburns737
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the most impressive interiors I've ever seen on here - really great job dangerbus! I too would love to see as many more pictures as you've got. This is exactly what I wish I would have been able to visualize, really well done. I'd been wanting to somehow mount my weekender bench seat/bed up in the front and have that serve as the front seats/bed and then have shelving/storage in the rear, but I just love the lounge aspect of yours along with ample storage, I think I'm gonna have to go that route now. The L shaped couch plus the bed up front would be the ultimate hang-out/boondocking station. Again - very impressed, thanks for sharing this with us, its pretty damn cool what you've done! Cool
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerbus wrote:
but they are really difficult to open.

I got these same knobs from the RV dealership that I used to work at. I have the cheaper plastic ones as well as the more expensive stainless ones and there is quiet a difference in quality and feel. But will both work great if installed properly.

That being said it can take a little bit of patience to get them working as smoothly as they should. It is important to have the shaft lined up properly and don't over-tighten the mounting screws either, they can cause the mechanism to bind. Once you have them tuned in there is nothing better.
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: bamboo and great approach Reply with quote

I love the bamboo and your willingness to experiment with the layout.
I too wanted to use bamboo but found it very heavy and expensive.

Please post more pictures and thanks again for experimenting with the layout. I look to follow your lead.

Did you work with a cabinet maker or do it all with your portable tools?

Scream if you attend a GTG. Would love to see it in person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are awesome! Totally different than the responses I've come to expect in the split forums... Laughing

We considered so many different designs...sketched forever, mocked things up in sketchup, started mockups in the van with foamcore and still ended up starting over halfway through. We had things all laid out for a westy-esque setup with a 3/4 bed or so, but realized we wouldn't have enough storage space.

I also agree with the beauty of modular...but at some level maximum space is maximum space...it all depends on what you're gonna use it for. If you're only a weekender throw a couple bins/totes/boxes in and head out!

We plan on being in the bus for months at some point exploring central/south america and possibly beyond. If we can't be comfortable living, playing, eating, drinking and sleeping in the bus then were going to waste money elsewhere rather than living our dream.

Later on in life...I'll likely rip this all out and start over with whatever matches our needs at the time. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerbus wrote:
You guys are awesome! Totally different than the responses I've come to expect in the split forums... Laughing

We considered so many different designs...sketched forever, mocked things up in sketchup, started mockups in the van with foamcore and still ended up starting over halfway through. We had things all laid out for a westy-esque setup with a 3/4 bed or so, but realized we wouldn't have enough storage space.

I also agree with the beauty of modular...but at some level maximum space is maximum space...it all depends on what you're gonna use it for. If you're only a weekender throw a couple bins/totes/boxes in and head out!

We plan on being in the bus for months at some point exploring central/south america and possibly beyond. If we can't be comfortable living, playing, eating, drinking and sleeping in the bus then were going to waste money elsewhere rather than living our dream.

Later on in life...I'll likely rip this all out and start over with whatever matches our needs at the time. Shocked
Dangerbus. If yo u are currently in PDX, Come show us this at the Lucky Lab on Sunday at 2 PM, 1945 NW Quimby, Portland. First beer is on me Wink
We can talk about the Stock Nazi's in the split forum Laughing I will be driving my Syncro Westy to this, but, I also have a 57 Split SCab. Would love to see this in person as my interior is out of the Westy and the light bulb keeps going off when I see such innovative mods.

Here is the link with the details: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312314&start=1360

Last edited by carterzest on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, these aren't mine so I couldn't link to them but these guys have the same L shape bench like you do. Its something that I am debating as well.

https://picasaweb.google.com/kikkodavid/ExpeditionSwedenAfrica2010#5445604834895907586

https://picasaweb.google.com/kikkodavid/ExpeditionSwedenAfrica2010#5497750796805709426

https://picasaweb.google.com/kikkodavid/ExpeditionSwedenAfrica2010#5497751236069259890
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:
Dangerbus. If yo u are currently in PDX, Come show us this at the Lucky Lab on Sunday at 2 PM, 1945 NW Quimby, Portland. First beer is on me Wink
We can talk about the Stock Nazi's in the split forum Laughing I will be driving my Syncro Westy to this, but, I also have a 57 Split SCab. Would love to see this in person as my interior is out of the Westy and the light bulb keeps going off when I see such innovative mods.

Here is the link with the details: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=312314&start=1360

I wish. In fact, I'd give anything to be in pdx for the weekend. And the lucky lab...miss it so much!
I'll watch the post and we'll plan an upcoming trip to make one of the monthly meetings!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dangerbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: bamboo and great approach Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
I love the bamboo and your willingness to experiment with the layout.
I too wanted to use bamboo but found it very heavy and expensive.

Please post more pictures and thanks again for experimenting with the layout. I look to follow your lead.

Did you work with a cabinet maker or do it all with your portable tools?

Scream if you attend a GTG. Would love to see it in person.

It's not bamboo, but a green material called kirei. Very cool 100% recycled, and über lightweight (as it turns out, too lightweight), but also very expensive. We bought only enought to do some detailing as you see, but found that its not rigid enough to be used standalone so we "plyed" it with a sheet of plywood to make each of these panels.

We're in a huge savings mode, so we did everything ourselves except the upholstery (started down that road but found a guy here that did it cheaper than renting a sewing machine). We also have been doing serious downsizing so we live in a sub-500sqft condo without access to a shop. Hurts soooo bad. Bus is also our only vehicle...so we can't get too crazy all at once.

Everything was done with a battery powered circular saw, jigsaw and drill. Like I said, its not a piano...better view from afar (or in low Rez photos) Laughing

When I get to adding more photos I'll throw one up of our "shop". Essentially- charge batteries; throw all tools, materials and makeshift table into back of bus, drive down dirt access road and get as much done as possible before the batteries die, it starts raining again, or the security hard kicks us out.

Probably why we have the slowest cabinet build underway ever...
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some really great ideas in this thread!

Dangerbus, that setup is really great for that space! I also really dig the paint job ilke that. Well done.
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

custom interior in my brother's 86 Westy as displayed at Transporterfest 2011 (took 2nd place in class)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice OVEN!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camping cookies sound really good! Costco has had a little oven/stove like that off and on. I might look into an oven that is used in wall tents that can sit on top of the burner. Might even be able to make one easy.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Nice OVEN!

it's a reworked RV 4 burner unit cut down with a thin blade 4" disc and rivited back together to retain the parts needed for each panel/aspect.
a little replumbing of the burners & controls and it's deeper inside than it is on top, it slides into the wall cavity to very near the outside skin.
it'll take a full size lasagna pan, and not much better than fresh cinnobons in the morning.. we make apple crisp often while fall camping.
drivenachodrive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

Thanks for the nice comments about our little Nacho. A couple of clarifications:

1. We have a removable stainless steel backsplash that we put up when we use the stove. Keeps the curtains from catching fire. Also doubles as a dish drainer.

2. We've never caught anything on our drawer pulls. Couldn't be happier with them.

3. The 2 rear cabinet drawers aren't accessible with the bed down, but you can flip the edge of the bed up if you need to access them. Takes 1.7 seconds. However, we always sleep upstairs, so this has never been an issue. We like to leave downstairs as a living quarters and sleep above. After all, on a 3 year road trip it's no fun to be setting up the bed and moving everything around every night.

4. We like the increased size of the overhead cabnet, as it gives us tons more room. We never hit our head on it, partially because we don't sleep down there. We've slept there a couple of times, and it still isn't an issue.

Thanks for following!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Mange3586
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys I just came across this while looking for some interior ideas. I have been looking for a van but I can't decide wether to get a westy or a tin top. I still kick myself for selling my 86 Syncro but i'm working on getting that back...

I love all the ideas but I haven't seen one thing i'm interested in adding. I am pretty sure I want a tin top but I do want to add the electric and gas hookups on the outside of the van. Possibly to run a heater/ac/stove. Anyone know more about this?
copescobra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an earlier post mentioned the Sportsmobile.com people who convert a bunch of different Vans into campers.

I bring them up as it is just more options to consider for those who want options.

I really like how they are able to create more storage space in such a small place.

They have an incredible number of designs you can simply view and copy under each type of vehicle they convert.
I would paste the link but am computer challenged.
2000 Type R Integra
1967 Alfa Duetto
1972 BMW Tii
2doorsdown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone notice this front spare tire storage holder? VERY slick! a cut down 55g a drum. NICE!

https://picasaweb.google.com/kikkodavid/ExpeditionSwedenAfrica2010#5494950416140560898
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2doors.....Since I see that they carry two spares on the roof, I'm assuming that's storage, though it does look like a cut down 55 gal drum...
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty slick.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
2doorsdown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I said...Storage container.. Smile and that's a 55gal clamp ring.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: