Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MCode question/issue - Early bay
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: MCode question/issue - Early bay Reply with quote

I ran the MCode on this Early Bay, the '68 in my signature.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I pulled it from a junkyard where it was going to be crushed. No idea what I'll really do with it, but I wanted to save it. I have the title for it. My question is, it appears to be original. I have no reason to believe that other than a one level respray, its not. Interior appears original and not recovered. Its pretty clearly black. While the outside is clearly a little lighter than Savannah Beige, the interior appears again, Savannah Beige. The issue comes when I run the MCODE plate.

Shaded numbers are 26 2.

This is what I get.

Model Type 2 (T2) mod. 221(2) :
- Microbus
- 9 seater (arrangement 3-3-3)
- Sliding door right
- LHD
Chassis number 228109159
Serial number 109 159
Modelyear 1968
Planned production date February 26 ,1968
Type of engine Type 1 (B5) - 1584cc, 35 kW (47 bhp DIN)
Type of transmission Manual 4-speed gearbox
Paint color 522807 - Unknown special color
Interior color (doorpanels and seats) 522807 - Unknown special color
Destination USA, Boston, Baltimore

M-CODES

M-CODE Description

425 Collection of M-Codes: M 020/089/507/511/524 (1968-1969) - 2x8 020 Speedometer and odometer in Miles 211-274

089 Laminated windscreen (1969-1979) - 2x9 000 001 2x9 2 300 000
507 Vent wings in cab doors 211-235
261-274

511 Padded instrument panel (LHD only) 211-271

524 Sealed beam headlamps, dual circuit brake control, back-up light and side marker reflectors (LHD) without emergency light system 211, USA, Canada
241, USA, Canada
265, USA, Canada

524 Sealed beam headlamps, dual circuit brake control, back-up light and side marker reflectors (LHD) with buzzer for ignition-starter switch 211, USA, Canada
241, USA, Canada
265, USA, Canada
524 Sealed beam headlamps, dual circuit brake control, back-up light and side marker reflectors (LHD) 211, USA, Canada
241, USA, Canada
265, USA, Canada

508 With vent wing in passenger compartment opposite sliding door 221-244
508 With vent wing in sliding door and in all windows in the opposite side panel 221-244
508 Sliding window in the side panel opposite the sliding door 271
508 With vent wing in the Double Cab door and in the opposite side panel
525 Three-point safety belts front, left and right and lap belts in passenger compartment 211-265, USA, Canada

There is no evidence the plate was removed and another re-attached either. Paint hasn't been disturbed. Title shows it was signed over to the junkyard in 1986. Title matches all the vins and plates. As you can see running the MCODE plate shows the same chassis number that appears on the tag. They all match. Can someone else check my work? What am I missing?

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody even has a guess?! Confused Wink

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well black is an odd upholstery color for a beige or white bus in 68, maybe a customer had to have it in thier favorite shade of beige or maybe it was for a company or hotel? Any evidence of logos?

A buddy of my Dad's always ordered his new car in Coca-cola red to match his airplane, it was usually a special order job, the customer is always right.
Another fellow I used to know had everything painted a similar color to that beige because it was his company color, new cars and trucks too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the original paint have a yellowish tint to it? In '68, I have seen several deluxes with yellowish lighter color like SB, and I believe that is what you have. I do not believe anyone knows what 522807 is.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 indicates that the bus had a Sonderlackeierung or special paint job, 22 means that the paint color was used on a Type 22; 807 indicates that the Sonderlackeierung was number 807which...

does not show up in the regular or special paint code charts. 806 is Savanna Beige, 811 is Kansas Beige

per: http://www.amazon.com/VW-Transporter-Microbus-Spec...mp;sr=8-16

pages 69 and 72

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Is the original paint have a yellowish tint to it? In '68, I have seen several deluxes with yellowish lighter color like SB, and I believe that is what you have. I do not believe anyone knows what 522807 is.

Ahhh... now that you mention that I recall someone posting a midwest/southwest field find 68 deluxe in an odd beige a few years ago, can't find the thread but there's an image of it sitting on a trailer viewed from the left rear down low in my head, I thought it was darker but I've been wrong before Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Long-roofs wrote:

Ahhh... now that you mention that I recall someone posting a midwest/southwest field find 68 deluxe in an odd beige a few years ago, can't find the thread but there's an image of it sitting on a trailer viewed from the left rear down low in my head, I thought it was darker but I've been wrong before Wink

I believe it was John, check his Gallery, I don't have time now.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=ratherb-buggin

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahah! that helped with the seaching, here's another oddball 68: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=442945 , it's paint is 522160 and does look very yellow Confused
Found the M plate in John's gallery for his, it's a Euro sunroof and is also 522160, both seem to have black interiors though.

Слава Україні!
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember his bus. I think it had a sunroof, right? Well if its a special color, that makes me even feel worse that someone got the doors before me. Confused

The other issue is, its listed as a nine seater. Thats the stock interior pretty clearly.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: MCode question/issue - Early bay Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
I ran the MCode on this Early Bay, the '68 in my signature.

I pulled it from a junkyard where it was going to be crushed. No idea what I'll really do with it, but I wanted to save it. I have the title for it. My question is, it appears to be original. I have no reason to believe that other than a one level respray, its not. Interior appears original and not recovered. Its pretty clearly black. While the outside is clearly a little lighter than Savannah Beige, the interior appears again, Savannah Beige. The issue comes when I run the MCODE plate.

Shaded numbers are 26 2.

This is what I get.

Model Type 2 (T2) mod. 221(2) :
- Microbus
- 9 seater (arrangement 3-3-3)
- Sliding door right
- LHD
Chassis number 228109159
Serial number 109 159
Modelyear 1968
Planned production date February 26 ,1968
Type of engine Type 1 (B5) - 1584cc, 35 kW (47 bhp DIN)
Type of transmission Manual 4-speed gearbox
Paint color 522807 - Unknown special color
Interior color (doorpanels and seats) 522807 - Unknown special color
Destination USA, Boston, Baltimore

There is no evidence the plate was removed and another re-attached either. Paint hasn't been disturbed. Title shows it was signed over to the junkyard in 1986. Title matches all the vins and plates. As you can see running the MCODE plate shows the same chassis number that appears on the tag. They all match. Can someone else check my work? What am I missing?

My bus has the same paint code and also came from Boston but with the UV destination code:

Vincent thought it was Savannah Beige/Cloud White but wasn't positive.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: MCode question/issue - Early bay Reply with quote

Another 5221 paint code '68

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
epbooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: MCode question/issue - Early bay Reply with quote

Heres a bus I am going to b=pick up in a few weeks.
It has the same paint code.
But destination UD.

I wonder if this was the code they used for special order busses?

molenari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: MCode question/issue - Early bay Reply with quote

epbooker wrote:
But destination UD.

Colour code 522807 is a 'Sonderlackierung': a special paint instruction. It basically means the vehicle colour or the way the vehicle was painted is different from the regular production. Here's what the code stands for:

5: special paint instruction applied
22: applied to a VW type 22 (VW Microbus)
807: number of the special paint instruction. In this case most likely Savanna Beige L581 body with a Cloud White L581 roof.

For some reason all buses exported to the USA during model year 1968 had a special paint instruction. This seems strange since the colour combinations used were regular colours during that time. So a regular code could have been used. In this case it could have been 026134:
02: savanna beige body
61: cloud white roof
34: light sand / khaki brown interior

See also this brochure:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/1968_bus_dutch/7.jpg

The only reason I can think of is that all US buses were types 22, meaning: Microbus, standard version. I have never seen a US-exported Type 24 (Microbus Deluxe). The US-exported type 22 have deluxe 'looks' because they were fitted with extra chrome. However, they always lack the rubber bumper strips, the 'jail bars' on the rear hatch and the dashboard clock which were standard items on a deluxe.

In the normal production a two coloured bus was only available if you ordered a deluxe (a Type 24), so a dual coloured Type 22 is something odd in the regular production, hence a special paint instruction was applied.

The disadvantage of the 'Sonderlackierung' code is that the interior colour isn't mentioned. So I am curious:
what colour is the interior on your bus? Is it black or is it Light Sand / Khaki Brown?
'68 panelvan, '70 kombi, '71 panelvan, '76 crew cab (German army), '77 panelvan, '78 kombi, '78 microbus (Champagne Edition II), '78 highroof panelvan (German mail, parting out), '79 panelvan automatic, '79 panelvan (armoured money transporter), '68 Karmann Ghia type 34.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: MCode question/issue - Early bay Reply with quote

Per: VW Transporter and Microbus spec. guide.
UD = USA, Philadelphia / Baltimore
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: MCode question/issue - Early bay Reply with quote

molenari wrote:
epbooker wrote:
But destination UD.

Colour code 522807 is a 'Sonderlackierung': a special paint instruction. It basically means the vehicle colour or the way the vehicle was painted is different from the regular production. Here's what the code stands for:

5: special paint instruction applied
22: applied to a VW type 22 (VW Microbus)
807: number of the special paint instruction. In this case most likely Savanna Beige L581 body with a Cloud White L581 roof.

For some reason all buses exported to the USA during model year 1968 had a special paint instruction. This seems strange since the colour combinations used were regular colours during that time.

I think this 68 kombi was US delivered and has normal paint codes.
It is a type 23, not a type 22, though.
molenari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: MCode question/issue - Early bay Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I think this 68 kombi was US delivered and has normal paint codes.
It is a type 23, not a type 22, though.

It is US-delivered (UF = USA, San Fransisco).
It appears to be as follows for 1968 models exported to the USA:

Regular commercial vehicles: Regular paint codes.
    Westfalia campmobiles: Sonderlackierung (as usual for Westfalia's)
    Microbuses: Sonderlackierung, except those which are Lotus White all over, they have the regular paint code (4242..).

That's an early bay by the way. And a rare one-year-only blue interior Smile
'68 panelvan, '70 kombi, '71 panelvan, '76 crew cab (German army), '77 panelvan, '78 kombi, '78 microbus (Champagne Edition II), '78 highroof panelvan (German mail, parting out), '79 panelvan automatic, '79 panelvan (armoured money transporter), '68 Karmann Ghia type 34.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: MCode question/issue - Early bay Reply with quote

molenari wrote:
    Regular commercial vehicles: Regular paint codes.
    Westfalia campmobiles: Sonderlackierung (as usual for Westfalia's)
    Microbuses: Sonderlackierung, except those which are Lotus White all over, they have the regular paint code (4242..).

I wonder if they said "special paint" on the 68 2 tone's because it was a departure from the previous years scheme and now the break was up at the rain gutter instead of the belt line?

Слава Україні!
molenari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: MCode question/issue - Early bay Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I wonder if they said "special paint" on the 68 2 tone's because it was a departure from the previous years scheme and now the break was up at the rain gutter instead of the belt line?

No, this has nothing to do with it. If a bay window was 2 tone (and sold in the regular sales program) the roof would always be white.
However, from model year 1971 onwards the border between the two colours would be below the belt line, much like on the split window buses.

Here are the tampered pics in the European brochures to 'prove' it: Wink

1970 brochure:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/literature70brochure.php

1971 brochure:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/8_70_bus.php

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: