Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Worn 34 pict 3 Throttle shaft question with video
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rippofunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Worn 34 pict 3 Throttle shaft question with video Reply with quote

Background:
Newly rebuilt motor, turn key from a local builder. I picked it up, put it in and drove it. installed it about a month ago. 1776, cb cheater cam, stock 34pict 3 carb with a stock exhaust with a zoom tube, it replaces the pea shooters with a straight pipe basically. The exhaust is not ideal and on my list to replace.
The idle has been not awesome since i got it. all the signs of a vacuum leak. I checked the plugs for color about 2 weeks ago to make sure i am not running lean and everything looked pretty good. In essence i think he tuned it around the vacuum leak, but it has been getting worse.
Hopefully a dumb question, is it possible the shaft is so worn when i spray the carb cleaner on the inside of the levers, it slows the motor? or is that expected behavior? i really doubt its expected, like i said dumb question, but i have never run into this. this is also my first Brosol Carb.
Thanks in advanced for your input.

Link
torsionbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now you know why i hucked my leaky too-complicated 34 pict-3 into the trash, and replaced it with an easy and simple 30 pict-1.

[air cooled vw's] are no longer suitable for the general public. The owner has to be be able to maintain the car. And that is after fixing all the deferred maintenance items and ill-conceived modifications. If you can't do those things you are pretty much screwed.
Gary Massin-Ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throttle shaft bushings will always have a certain amount of leakage at idle as there is nor real positive seal just bushings.

Once you crack the throttle any leak at the throttle bushings will be void anyway.

You are correct and the carb may have been tuned to run with the minor throttle bushing leaks. The carb should have bigger idle jets just due to the larger displacement anyway.

I have torn a new engine down before that had idle plroblems (weak idle, stalling, etc) that no amount of tuning would repair. We found the deck hieght was too much for the cam (.100" on a 110 cam 284 dur) and made the compression ratio around mid 6s so in combination with a bigger duration cam resulted in a motor that ran like it was worn out with really low compression.

I would do a compression test and make sure all are at least over 100lbs and go from there.

Gary.
40x35.5 stock cast single port heads
Single 40mm Kadron w/32vent
Equalizer 5lb pulley
Stock lifters
Stock aluminum pushrods
26mm aluminum oil pump full flow
*Poor mans rack and pinion up front*
-------------------------------------------
The Ugly Bug is on the road!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rippofunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has an erratic idle. its pretty steady but it drifts. takes a lot of pedal to cruise on the highway.the idle adjustment screw is screwed in all the way. to me those seem like vacuum leak issues versus engine issues. its strong, i can accelerate up a good hill on the highway. i can take hills in higher gear then with a 1600, so i think the engine is all there and ok. I thought the extra pedal was just a misadjusted cable but now i think its part of the vacuum leak.

when i fog the carb cleaner from a distance, directed at the nuts on the shaft it speeds up. my initial thought was the gasket was leaking, but when i go closer to the gasket with the carb cleaner, it does not speed up.

I went out and idled it up, guessing between 2 and 3K and did the same spray as the video and got a lesser decrease on the cable side and no real decrease on accel pump side.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheater way of fixing that would be to pull the throttle plate and shaft.
Get some Viton o-rings and carefully drill the ends of the carb to make room for the o-rings.

It won't fix the slop all the way but it will fix the leaks.

I have done it to two of my carbs now. I leave a little resistance in the shaft to the o-rings but the spring has lots of power and will pull it back to idle.

You can get 50 o-rings for just a couple bucks online and it only takes a couple hours to do.
I built a simple jig.

this is the second carb I did for my turbo project. That was the reason I needed to seal the shaft. You can see the 3 inch high angle iron I used as a jig and the drill press.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the clearance I made for the o-ring.

Here is the Bocar I did mounted on the angle iron jig. I used a smaller bit to check to make sure the carb was square to the drill bit by pushing it through both bushing areas but NOT drilling.

Here is a pic of the o-ring sitting in the clearanced area from the drill bit. You have to do a little at a time and just take enough out to allow the shaft to turn without too much resistance.

It is easier than it looks. Just go slow.

My build on STF has the o-ring sizes or else just PM me if you need more info.

Clonebug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rippofunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet, i have read a couple 'how to rebush' but never saw (or looked) for adding an o-ring! I was thinking about shoving one in there and seeing what happens without drilling for clearance but that makes sense.

i dont actually feel any slop with the carb installed, but maybe there will be some once i take it out.

Thanks for all your input.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to drill for clearance since the arm is tight to the body or it will bind the shaft.
The o-ring size you need is an 011 Viton o-ring which is resistant to fuels.

If you are serious drop me a pm and I can throw 4 o-rings in an envelope for you. I have about 45 of them left.... Wink

Clonebug
Micropassatman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember.... Wink

What is done can not be undone...... Razz

Go slow and don't take too much out. Drill a tiny bit and then reassemble and test....repeat......repeat.

Clonebug
Micropassatman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be to 'groove' the throttle shaft to accept an o-ring just like the mixture and bypass screws have.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock bushing in my Pict 34 was a plastic style split bushing. It would not take to an o-ring trying to seal against the inside of it. All that would do would be to make the bushing spin in the bore with the throttle shaft.
It would probably seal though.

Clonebug
Micropassatman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
The stock bushing in my Pict 34 was a plastic style split bushing. It would not take to an o-ring trying to seal against the inside of it. All that would do would be to make the bushing spin in the bore with the throttle shaft.

Clonebug

34 pict 3 or 4(California only)?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pict-3

Clonebug
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:

Clonebug

Are some Pict 34's with rubber seals already? Just curious because mine had erratic idle until I applied air tool oil to the shafts. I assumed that the oil caused the seals to swell, but perhaps not...

Paul
rippofunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some viton o-rings at a local auto parts store. Thanks for the offer Clonebug!

Unfortunately, mine did not come out exactly like yours.

I got a 7/16" drill which seem to be the size of shaft and the o-ring. i figured if i drilled the carb about half the depth of the o-rings width the other half would get consumed with squish and not be to much friction. when i assembled it i greased the shaft. In my hands it seemed like not much friction. but the bus thought other wise.

tried adding spring tension, discovered the hard way my pedal was missing parts. missing the spring that holds the shaft, of the lever in place under the front. part 8 that holds part 9 in place.

and my shaft seemed tired, the groove is not as deep as it probably once was. I know i need to add that kit to my list, but that wont help me today. So i drove over to Tractor Supply and bought a shaft collar that fit perfect. and wow it works great. it was a 1/4 X 1/2 X 9/32 shaft collar.

So my pedal now feels awesome, but the friction problem was still there. what i did was add thread lock (green) to the shaft and loosened the shaft bolts to decrease the friction / squish. the thread lock was probably more for comfort versus actually needed.

Seems pretty awesome as it sits now. i might go to a nylock nut at some point just to make me feel better. I am glad i did drill the carb to get the o-rings in there. I obviously wish i had drilled more, but i am overall happy with the results assuming they last.

Sprayed the carb cleaner in there and no vacuum leak. I did not power it into the shaft as the fog did not show any leak.

Thanks for the help and the awesome o-ring idea!
brc0703
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i replaced my idle screw o-ring and noticed that its a perfect match to go on the throttle shaft too so gave me the same idea to dill out the carb for the o-rings but was wondering how long they will last? also you say Viton o-rings.. is that just a brand or is it a certain material?
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a material, there are 4 different types of Viton, one in particular is very good with fuels, you want type F for fuels (easy way to merember)

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
connor2010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: carb Reply with quote

my carb has brass bushings in it do you drill carb with the bushings in or out of the carb??
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
A cheater way of fixing that would be to pull the throttle plate and shaft.
Get some Viton o-rings and carefully drill the ends of the carb to make room for the o-rings.

It won't fix the slop all the way but it will fix the leaks.

I have done it to two of my carbs now. I leave a little resistance in the shaft to the o-rings but the spring has lots of power and will pull it back to idle.

You can get 50 o-rings for just a couple bucks online and it only takes a couple hours to do.
I built a simple jig.

this is the second carb I did for my turbo project. That was the reason I needed to seal the shaft. You can see the 3 inch high angle iron I used as a jig and the drill press.

Here is the clearance I made for the o-ring.

Here is the Bocar I did mounted on the angle iron jig. I used a smaller bit to check to make sure the carb was square to the drill bit by pushing it through both bushing areas but NOT drilling.

Here is a pic of the o-ring sitting in the clearanced area from the drill bit. You have to do a little at a time and just take enough out to allow the shaft to turn without too much resistance.

It is easier than it looks. Just go slow.

My build on STF has the o-ring sizes or else just PM me if you need more info.

Clonebug

Mmm... Maybe I should try that. Think It might be a can of worms though.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torsionbar wrote:
now you know why i hucked my leaky too-complicated 34 pict-3 into the trash, and replaced it with an easy and simple 30 pict-1.

which was stupid. you should have rebuilt it instead. The 30 is simple, yes, but it stiffles power, a lot.

rippo.
I doubt the worn shaft bushings is the reason to erratic idle. with out knowing your exact set up i would say that it is most likely at least 1 of two issues.
1. That type of engine NEEDS more than stock CR to run well. Like often said at least 8,2 preferably 8,3-8,4 on medium fuel. A tight deck improves the idle quality too.
2. These set ups like 10-11 degrees of idle timing.

Once this is right the idle quality improves significantly.

T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: