Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Curtains
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
menchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Curtains Reply with quote

Hi all, just about to get my 66 13 window back from the shop after about 4 months worth of upgrades (new engine, disk brakes, IRS, springs, shocks, fuel tank, transmission, wheels, tires, etc.). Anyhow, I was thinking that I want some curtains for it. I have the platinum mesh interior seats and panels. Recently, I saw a 63 (might not be the exact year) camper on display at Balboa Park's VW show. It had a really nice curtain set up. There were rods on top and like a bungee cord on bottom to tie them back and hold them in place. For the area between the front and rear, it had a frame for the curtains that went along the ceiling to keep the camper area private from the driving area. I am not sure if this is stock or not, but I liked the set up. My question is, where can I find all the parts to do this job properly? Things like that plaid material are available at WW, but will that match plat. mesh interior? I have googled all over the web and can't find much info on how or where to find the materials or how to do this. Any ideas or pics of your campers interiors would be appreciated. Thanks!
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can start right here in the classifieds... This might help you get going.. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?submit=yes&type=text&keywords=curtain+rod
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
SO33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cab divider rail...

I've had some curtains made recently, so there you go : the measurements are on the picture. If that can help Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rebapuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would be happier with the cab area included within your curtained area. I know I am. I can access the cooler or food stuff that I store there without being in view. Also, the camping area will feel less constricted. Just a thought.
menchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on putting curtains in the driver area, especially since I have a walk through. What do you do, remove the curtains when driving? Seems like they would obstruct vision even if tucked back behind bungee while driving.

A lot of those curtain bars on the classified link say they are vanagon. Do they fit too?
Rob Whitey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: curtians Reply with quote

UFO Fabrics in Vista off of Melrose has a big selection of material for the curtians if that's what your looking for.
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one of these. Works great.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=341014
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madcitymcflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have curtains fabricated, use 'Sunbrella' fabric. They come in a large selection of colors and are treated to resist heat and sunlight. I had a set made up for my '66 Westy 'way back in the early 1980's and they finally faded out about two years ago. I had the same upholstery shop use the same 'Sunbrella' fabric to make up some new ones.
rebapuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there's an idea. But I'd want the flaps to the inside.

I hang my homemade curtains in the cab area with hooks I made out of some kind of wire. Looks like coathanger. Anyway, I hook them in the front corners and the ends are tied to knobs beside the front doors. Then remove when breaking camp. The side windows have a roller shade.
menchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody just sell a complete set of curtain rods? The classifieds just have random pieces and sets for a camper. I need 13 window coverage.
Thanks for all the replies.
DannoT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 13 window I used strong neodymium magnets to hold the curtain rods to the bus and to keep the curtains in check, they work great and can easily be installed and removed and the bonus is no holes have to be drilled in the bus to install them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
menchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the magnet idea. No holes is a plus. I just got a new headliner and prefer not to make holes in it. So you just connect the rod to the magnet? Can you please post a photo? Does anyone sell reproduction curtain rods? Having a hard time finding an entire set for a 13 window bus. Thanks
oldschool64bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDragnDean wrote:
I use one of these. Works great.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=341014

how much light comes through? For that kinda $$$ Id hope its like a black out in the bus. I have some harbour freight magnets and a $5 piece of black fleece from Walmart, I can sleep in the middle of the day in my panel Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
menchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know of a place to get a set of rods for all 13 windows, repro, original, anything works for me. Thanks
galexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about using the curtain rod from a Westy, like on my '65 SO42.
The curtains are so easy to unfurl with the little sliders that slide along the curtain rails.

And they allow access to the cab area which was mentioned as a nice feature. I've seen those rods in the classifieds occasionally, the little sliders are available over in England from somebody on the Samba.

And the curtains are 'stored' in the open position with the plastic button straps on the 'b' pillars.

good luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: