Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Middle Seat Question
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougrbutler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Another Middle Seat Question Reply with quote

After all the discussion about what kind of bases (chrome or plastic) are on different years of buses, I was looking through "The Original Bus" by Merideth and on Page 44 in the top paragragh the author states that "all buses had grab handles of 'tubular steel' until October 1963 when they went to rigged plastic...

Is this correct?
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Another Middle Seat Question Reply with quote

Nope, 1962 had the thin extruded plastic grab handles too. 1961 was the last year for metal grab bar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dougrbutler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Another Middle Seat Question Reply with quote

Didn't think so. I guess books are wrong sometimes...
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Another Middle Seat Question Reply with quote

No doubt about that fact. There was a article in VW Trends years ago about early Buses that was written by Lee Thomas Hedges. He is a well known guy in the Type 3 and type 34 Karmann Ghia world. Why they asked him to write a article on early Buses is beyond me... Anyway, after I read the article I went back and circled all the incorrect, inaccurate information and handed it a couple of Bus freak friends of mine. Needless to say we all had a huge laugh at the gross errors. Bottom line, in our commulative opinion, if you don't know, ask. Once you publish something as being a certain way, people are going to be led to believe it is true and accurate as the magazine determined you are some sort of authority. If it wasn't a topic he was that knowledgable and comfortable with, he should have passed and said "I don't know those cars as well as someone else, why don't you have "-------" write the article?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Another Middle Seat Question Reply with quote

While we are on the topic of exact answers on bus triv.....
Here is a question that several of us have been having trouble getting a definitive answer on. It started with a bumper for sale and page 25 of Merideth's Original bus book that shows a 1964 deluxe with a pointed front and slash back bumper. After digging through the archives of Samba and other forums we decided that the 1964 should have slash/slash like their older siblings. We also know that the 66 and 67 should have pointed/pointed.
What confuses us is the 1965. Other posts have suggested that they had a mix of the two styles in either configuration, all pointed or all slash.

What is the final and correct answer on this? Please, no more guesses and unsubstantiated opinions. I can find all the conjecture I need in the archives.

Doug
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Another Middle Seat Question Reply with quote

I have seen many 1965s with the slash front and pointed rear. I know that was a combination at least through a good portion of the year. A friend of mine pulled out a low mileage '65 Sundial, original paint, matching numbers original engine, and a very old set of bias plies on it. It was parked in the mid 70's. It too had the slash front and pointed rear. We thought it might be wrong till I asked around and paid attention to all the other '65s we'd see around. I'm by no means the authority but I've been into Split Buses for over 15 years and have owned 27 of em.
Nalu33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Another Middle Seat Question Reply with quote

Here's something I just learned, I think;
I have a rear deluxe seat back for what I thought was for a 62 deluxe but when I installed it the upper portion of the seat back wasn't long enough to reach the mounting tabs. So a 62/63 bus the seat back length from left to right is a bit over 60" vs. what I think to be a 64 seat which is shorter.
Can anyone confirm this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Middle Seat Question Reply with quote

I didn't think big hatch Buses had a different back seat back rest.
Are 67s narrower though? I can see that as a possibility.
I know Bay Windows are. Smile

I don't have a late back seat upper back rest to measure.

I know the 67 luggage bar is shorter.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Middle Seat Question Reply with quote

Modified bay seat or baywindow clipper seat.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Middle Seat Question Reply with quote

'67=60" just measured mine.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
Nalu33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Middle Seat Question Reply with quote

It's def not modified and in its original cherry como green material.
This seat has never been messed with. Sounds like they got shorter from 64-67 on split window busses. I don't know anything about bay window buses but I know none were in como green.
Anyone else wanna measure their seats and chime in I'd be very interested to firm this up. Then trade this seat for a como green seat for my 62 dlx.... 😁
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Middle Seat Question Reply with quote

Como Green ended in 1964.
If you think it's a '64 seat then it should be heat-seamed upholstery and not sewn seams like a 62 or 63.
Which is it?

You say your '62 seat is a little over 60" - how long is this seat that doesn't reach?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Another Middle Seat Question Reply with quote

How about posting up some photos? Been a lot of questions put to rest here based on a photo...
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
Nalu33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Middle Seat Question Reply with quote

Mystery solved. It has in fact been modified at some point. It has sewn seams like a 62-63 which threw me off but does appear as if someone took the major time to cut the frame and re-sew the end seam. Or it is an early bay window seat that was covered using an original cover. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through. Matt Miller had a look with me at OCTO this past weekend and that's what we came up with.
Nalu33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Middle Seat Question Reply with quote

Btw the seat measures 58 1/2" long at the top part of the seat back.
My 62 Deluxe measures 60"
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Middle Seat Question Reply with quote

Wow, that is weird, thanks for the update.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: