Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear window seals and that damn plastic vent!!!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Rear window seals and that damn plastic vent!!! Reply with quote

Trying to install my rear, side windows. I know about the "string trick" and have already successfully got the middle sides and hatch glass re-installed.
What is kicking my butt is the plastic vent in the rear windows... the string just hangs and I end up cutting into the seal. Honestly the entire width of the window with seal almost looks too large to fit into the opening (but I know its not).
Pic from Go Westy of the two glass styles; man would it be WAY easier w/o the vents!!!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Only found a couple of comments mentioning the plastic vent during seal installation and one thread asking about the same issue but no real solutions:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175155

At this point both my seals are pretty F'd up and I'm frustrated. One side I just sealed up with Butyl windshield sealant and the other side is in but not weather tight; had to walk away from it before I put a fist through the thing! Mad
Before I buy two new seals I'd like to know how to do this correctly.

Does anybody have any other tips, thoughts, advice, #'s of professionals that know how to do this..... or just some pats on the head telling me everything will be alright????
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: windows Reply with quote

I have done several rear quarter windows(with vent, without vent, and with slider). Without the vent is easier but the vent window is not too bad. The gowesty rear sliders with vent are a nightmare and I would avoid them. Use the string trick but I would start placing the plastic part into the frame, get that side in, and then work away from the plastic vent. Also glass tools help greatly. A lot of these are very cheap and help a lot(picks, bones, ect.) Also use the string AS WELL AS TOOLS. If you just pull the string hard you will rip the seal almost every time. Good luck!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I installed my DIY rear slider it was a 'smidge' too wide (say 1/8") but fit fine though not w/o some trouble on the reinstall (I reused the stock gasket, was a real low budget mod)

anyways I found these paint can lid openers very handy to help the gasket pop over the flange.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

they're $.50ea so buy (4)

I slipped it in under the rubber w/hook away from rubber, then turn it 180* and pull/pop the rubber over the lip.
anyways a hoked tool helps you get in there and manipulate the gasket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: windows Reply with quote

jsmitch11 wrote:
I have done several rear quarter windows(with vent, without vent, and with slider). Without the vent is easier but the vent window is not too bad. The gowesty rear sliders with vent are a nightmare and I would avoid them. Use the string trick but I would start placing the plastic part into the frame, get that side in, and then work away from the plastic vent. Also glass tools help greatly. A lot of these are very cheap and help a lot(picks, bones, ect.) Also use the string AS WELL AS TOOLS. If you just pull the string hard you will rip the seal almost every time. Good luck!

I'm glad to hear that its not "impossible", but I'm not really seeing how to start the thing. As you are saying, I tried on the vent side figuring I'd get the hard part done first. The problem that I'm having is that I can't get the vent side to even start.
One person pressing pretty hard on the seal, the other person pulling on the string.

I can look in there and see that the lip is a good 1/4 away from the window frame seam where the seal lip is supposed to fit over.

I gotta be missing something!
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
anyways I found these paint can lid openers very handy...

Good idea! I'm bound to find something similar at Home Depot or my local Rodda store.

I found that jamming screw drivers in there makes quick work of mucking up your seal. Sad
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lubrication, squirt liberally with WD-40 before and as it is going in. I don't have the vents but the middle sliders are a bi-otch and the lube really helped there. The other trick is to have them placed over the opening exactly where they need to go. I do it with three people, one to hold position, one to push in and the third to pull the string. The third may be helpful when the rubber is all lubed up as it can move easily.

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: windows Reply with quote

zippyslug31 wrote:

I'm glad to hear that its not "impossible", but I'm not really seeing how to start the thing. As you are saying, I tried on the vent side figuring I'd get the hard part done first. The problem that I'm having is that I can't get the vent side to even start.
One person pressing pretty hard on the seal, the other person pulling on the string.

I can look in there and see that the lip is a good 1/4 away from the window frame seam where the seal lip is supposed to fit over.

I gotta be missing something!

Start at corner. I would probably do the lower rear corner and get that in. Sometimes I will lay a towel over the frame and tap aggressivly with a rubber mallet. When you get the seal close start the string to pull the seal over the metal lip. As this happens it will suck the window in more.

Also I perfer to do them dry with new seals. They are plenty supple and dont make the mess of dish soap or wd-40. If it is an old seal I am reapplying I might lube it up.

Be careful with metal tools as it is easy to ding paint, scratch windows, or rip seals. I prefer plastic tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: