Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone Know Where I Can Get One CA License Plate Made?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Anyone Know Where I Can Get One CA License Plate Made? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm buying my first bus today and it is coming with one old black and yellow California license plate which is linked to the vin number and the title.

Anyone know how I can get an additional black and yellow plate made, so that when I go into the dmv for final sign off I can keep the original numbered plates?

I was told that if I only bring one in that I will have to surrender the plate and be reissued new plates. I want to keep the original plates to the bus.

Thank you for your response and help.

Spitty
Unclesalty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend gave it to these people to restore his black and yellow plates for his mustang and they did a really good job on it.

http://www.vintageplaterestoration.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLASSIC CAR GUY posted a link to a place that will custom make you new (old) plates.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwrabbitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.licenseplates.tv/

they will make you what ever plate you want
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwrabbitjunkie wrote:

Or not...

"WE DO NOT REPLICATE CALIFORNIA STATE LICENSE PLATES"

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclesalty wrote:
My friend gave it to these people to restore his black and yellow plates for his mustang and they did a really good job on it.

"*Note
Duplicates of your existing plate can be made of fiberglass using your plate as a mold.
Duplicate plates may not be legal in your state and therefore are for display purposes only; check with your state or local agency for more information."

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Dean1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DMV is heap to all the repro license plates and will not accept a non-Sacramento issued plate, even if you have one that is. You must have both OEM plates to pull this off legally. They know what the other plates look like, and if they have doubt, they will send both of them to Sacramento to have them inspect them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Unclesalty wrote:

"*Note
Duplicates of your existing plate can be made of fiberglass using your plate as a mold.
Duplicate plates may not be legal in your state and therefore are for display purposes only; check with your state or local agency for more information."

There is more than one place out there that does this that will make CA plates Wink

There is this cool site Im not sure you heard of called GOOGLE. It alows you to search the World Wide InterWeb thingy Wink Check it out Laughing

I have "NTCHBOY" real CA plates. I had them replicated in CA black and gold for og 63 effect. As long as you keep the reals in the car, most cops will let it slide. My experiance.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
anubiscrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a black guy at the pomona swap meet in a small trailer, that will make one for you as long as you have one. Just ask around for him. I had one made about a year ago and he charged $100. best looking plate ever, I'll have him make another next time I go.

62 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
crofty wrote:
Unclesalty wrote:

"*Note

There is more than one place out there that does this that will make CA plates Wink

There is this cool site Im not sure you heard of called GOOGLE. It alows you to search the World Wide InterWeb thingy Wink Check it out Laughing

I have "NTCHBOY" real CA plates. I had them replicated in CA black and gold for og 63 effect. As long as you keep the reals in the car, most cops will let it slide. My experiance.

I was only refering to the link in his post.

The problem is that th CA dmv doesn't recognize anything other than a steel plate as being "real". I haven't seen anyone stamping an authentic (ie usable) CA plate yet. If you have post a link or send me a pm. (wink,wink)

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old CA plates are aluminum.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly - I may be wrong - in California, you only have to have the registration stickers on the rear plate. So, if you have just the one original plate, put the stickers on that one and mount it on the rear and you could get a copy in plastic, aluminum or chocolate or whatever and just place that one the in front of your car. I have been pulled over by a cop in LA more then once, and I never had the officer go up to the front plate with a magnet to see if it was OG! Laughing

In fact, I drove in SoCal for many years with the front plate missing and never had any trouble - but I may have just lucked out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
vwrabbitjunkie wrote:

Or not...

"WE DO NOT REPLICATE CALIFORNIA STATE LICENSE PLATES"

That sucks, they used to.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dean1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the license plate makers will not ship within the state of issue. In another words, if you want a CA plate, you can still get it, only you need an address outside of CA...
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have "NTCHBOY" real CA plates. I had them replicated in CA black and gold for og 63 effect. As long as you keep the reals in the car, most cops will let it slide. My experiance.[/quote]

Wow, what a jackal response!!!!!! I was unaware of GOOGLE, I've been living in a bubble for the last 10 years!!!.....I'm sorry, my mistake, I thought this was a forum and that people read it for help and to help others out.........My reason for asking here, was I thought maybe someone had experience or a suggestion. I was thinking someone might point me in the right direction.........There was one company I found online back east, but the reviews and service were terrible. Nothing like going to the horse's mouth to seek out information, call me crazy!

Everyone else who chimed in and gave good advice and leads, thank you............I guess I better go take GOOGLE 101!!!!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone stole the front plate off my '91 vanagon, just a plain number/letter plate no regi sticker( they only go on the rear plate) After a year the shop that does my inspection said I needed to get new plates, it needs 2 to pass, when my wife went to the DMV, they said they would have a new plate made to match the rear one--$10 !! Cheaper than getting new ones !

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
The problem is that th CA dmv doesn't recognize anything other than a steel plate as being "real".

I've "heard" that there is a guy who works Pomona who will make you an authentic steel plate. He starts out with lots of single donor authentic plates, then cuts out the individual letters or numbers then butt welds in different ones to create your combination. Passes the magnet test.

Or just do it yourself.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
My old CA plates are aluminum.

Then they are fake.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 6 black,blue,white CA plates. The only steel one is a black CA plate.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I have 6 black,blue,white CA plates. The only steel one is a black CA plate.

Then you have a lot of fakes. I have blue/yellow plates and white plates all of them are steel.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: