Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1966 Deluxe Project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: My 1966 Deluxe Project Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was able to buy this bus from a guy who actually lives less than four miles away from my house. It is a 1966 deluxe.

It has all of the seat frames and springs, front, full middle seat with movable backrest. Most of the parts are present, original motor, interior panels. I will need to hunt down the correct deluxe rear bumper, and the deluxe beltline trim and a few other things. But, all things considering, I am pretty happy that I was able to pick it up with many of the key parts, especially the seats. I am so excited it even has the dash clock.

There are two small areas of concern in the front floor and along the cargo door floor area, but not too far in, maybe only 3-4 inches. I am thinking the rocker panel on the door side will need some attention down the road.
There are a few dings here and there but nothing too major.

It will have to sit for a while, but I plan to slowly but surely get it road worthy again and then I will decide what I want to do long term with the bus.

This is my first bus, and my first aircolled VW, so I am sure I am going to have a million questions, once I tear into it....Hopefully the bad picture from tonight shows up. more pictures to come later.

Last edited by Spitty1974 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow only 4 miles away from you. Amazing, how did you find out about it? Looking forward to your project and more photos. Very exiting for you.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the find. Keep us posted on your progress.

Here's mine on the flatbed the day I got it. There's something about that first pic you take of it when it is yours.

type47fan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome find, can't wat to see you get to work on it.

Scott is right. Something about the 1st pic.
Here is how mine sat when we went to pick it up.

Good luck with it.

Phillip
My 66 Westy Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5825134#5825134
laughingboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Bus Pickup Reply with quote

Here's me, with dorky grin, when I first saw my bus in a parking lot in Odgensburg NY after it was trucked from Utah. I should have grabbed a shot before loading it on the trailer, but I was in a hurry because I needed to get back across the border before the export office closed.

I was relieved that there wasn't any long lost contraband to be found in it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Cleaned the Trunk Area Reply with quote

I cleaned the trunk area today. The sound deadening material was all dry, crusty, and sticky. I plan to put something back in way down the line.

What do you recommend?

It was nice to get it clean. Now that all that stuff is gone, it will be easier to sand when I actually get to that stage.

It looks like I will be doing a 100% restoration, so this bus is slowly but surely going to be taken apart. Once I get the interior out, I will concentrate on taking the motor out. Then, I will be building some sort of dolly system with casters to be able to wheel it around easier in the garage and have the ability to work under it without jackstands.
skaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow really nice bus I recently accuired a 67 11 window. my first bus and I know how you feel. Good luck its going to be fun!
type47fan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice but we need more pics. Show off that complete interior!
It looks good enough to polish up and drive a little without full blown resto but thats my opinion of course.

Phillip
My 66 Westy Build
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

type47fan1 wrote:
Nice but we need more pics. Show off that complete interior!
It looks good enough to polish up and drive a little without full blown resto but thats my opinion of course.

Phillip

I will post up a few pictures of the inside soon. I took a look at your build. Although I have all the seats, I think the condition of your interior was in better shape than mine.

At some point mice lived inside, so most of the material is shredded. The middle seat is really nice, although it is from another bus as it is the salt & pepper color. I did a little searching and based on a few pictures, it looks like a 1965 middle seat because of a certain cross support on the end. I will post a pic and get 100% confirmation from the experts.

I charged the battery yesterday and hopefully will get out for a drive today, at least around the neighborhood. It is my wife's birthday today and our 6th month anniversary, so I won't be able to spend to much time tinkering on the bus.

The bus was originally painted Titan Red.
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaned the Trunk Area Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:

I cleaned the trunk area today. The sound deadening material was all dry, crusty, and sticky. I plan to put something back in way down the line.

What do you recommend?

I bought a piece of rubber backed carpet from Home Depot and cut it to fit. I wouldn't stick any Dynamat on it or anything of that nature. Below is a pic of what I did......it was cheap too.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaned the Trunk Area Reply with quote

Quote:
I bought a piece of rubber backed carpet from Home Depot and cut it to fit. I wouldn't stick any Dynamat on it or anything of that nature. Below is a pic of what I did......it was cheap too.

Thanks, Scott. I will check that out when the time comes. I started to disassemble the bus yesterday by removing the front windows, one was cracked and the other had a good size chip in it, so they will need to be replaced.

My dry bus, is not so dry. There is some major rust/rot in the front windshield area. I know the bus is still considered dry, but I will have some questions later when I post up some pictures.

Also, I knew the front floor had rust issues and I know about the replacement sections, but I have one question about another section of metal, in terms of replacement. I will be uploading pictures later.....They are on my brothers camera and he needs to send them over to me.

Thanks, this is going to be one hell of a project! More work than I expected, but based off of the threads I've read on this site, this is normal and common. I am still excited and I'm looking forward to the journey.

Spitty
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not "correct", WW sells rear luggage area mats. Very heavy and nice quality.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: The Journey Began Sunday! Reply with quote

I started the tear down process of my bus on Sunday. I was aware of the rust issues on the bus when I bought it. That said, the rust in the front window area caught me off guard. I’m hoping this is not a continuing theme. I’m sure I will learn many lessons with this first bus.

Below are a few pictures of the front window frames. I know KF and AC sell replacement panels for the window section. I have read the forms about the two companies. Any suggestions which ones I should buy?

Also, I am a bit concerned about the inside section of the window frame, the cab-side. Specifically, the lip of metal that comes up from the dash that fits up against the actual window frame. I know the actual window pane will sit in the new section installed from the outside of the bus. What happens on the inside? Will I need to get a donor dash, or do I just treat it and seal off the rust? I do not want to see a jagged edge, but the lip appears to be very small. Will that small bit of metal actually get covered by a new rubber seal. I really want to fix it, but don’t exactly know how. Any suggestions? Does a new dash take care of that problem? What would you do? I want to fix it and make it right, and not do a crappy job.

Also, I knew that the front floor needed attention. I know that floor panels are available. My question is that the passenger side front floor, I think will clean up nicely and the new piece will be ok to weld to the wall that buts up against the back side of the floor.

However, the drivers side floor has a few more issues. Where the floor buts up against the wall on the back portion of the floor, there is some rust. Does anyone sell metal replacement that can be used for that section? Clearly, I will not be able to just cut out the floor and weld in the new piece, like I will be able to do on the passenger side floor. Will I need to simply fabricate that section out of some sheet metal? Does anyone make that section?

I took the front bumper off to examine the front end a bit. The front valance looks pretty solid. There does appear to be a small amount of rust bubbles on the surface. I took off the bumper mounts and looked inside that section, it only appears to be surface rust. I could only see what can be viewed through the small slots.

If I have the front section sandblasted/media blasted to remove the rust and then have it sealed with epoxy primer, should I be ok?

When I was under the bus, there was a splash guard, that I still need to pull off, but the underside of the bus is really clean, minimal surface rust, no areas that have major rot. All of the frame support sections are solid. The wheel wells are really clean as well. It is so strange how once section has bad rust rot, and other sections are clean. I guess it has to do with water concentration because of bad rubber seals.

Lastly, the front end has a decent size dent. Do I have it pulled out by the body shop, or do I replace that section with a new partial panel? I do not want a bus full of bondo, but the dent looks like it could be re-worked by a pro?

Thank you for any and all of your answers. This is a major undertaking for myself. I’m excited to learn about the best options from all of you.

Spitty

Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: One more thing! Reply with quote

Also, both doglegs seem to be in good shape, no rust. There was a slight bit of surface rust in each corner, but nothing too bad. Other that a decent size dent on the passenger dogleg, they are in good shape. I will take a few pictures of that soon, and ask what you all would suggest for that small section of the dogleg.

Spitty
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Any Suggestions? Reply with quote

Anyone have any advice for the metal replacement sections I inquired about?

Thanks,
Spitty
type47fan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerson has all the metal you need to fix the windshield area. The Gasket does overlap the inner lip, but I would imagine if it is nearly gone it woudl leak.
If that is all you find you are in great shape!

Phillip
My 66 Westy Build
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make that trailing edge of wheel tub out of a piece of scrap. Cut it, fit it and weld it in. Then your new floor pieces will have something to attach to.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Replacement Metal Question Reply with quote

Thanks to all who have given their suggestions, I'm getting good ideas from your responses.

So, I know Volksaddict you mentioned that I could fabricate the small section I need that meets up with the floor. If I wanted it to have the factory original stamp (indented half round stamp, instead of just flat sheet metal) on that panel, does KF or any others make that metal piece?

I found the picture below on the form and I see the green metal. Does anyone know the metal part name that is in the black box on the picture below? I know the section is a wheel tub (thanks Volksaddict!) Do I have to buy the whole complete section of a wheel tub?

Does anyone else make that piece of replacement metal? If so, what do they call that piece?

Thank you for the response,

Spitty
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Autocraft stainlesss steel Reply with quote

Hi,
Can anyone comment about theautocraft stainless steel front emblem. Someone tried to steal the one on my bus, it is all bent and roaches, chrome is good, but little dent circles all around the mountin points.

The stainless steel seems like it might be better than the chrome. Which one do you guys like for a reproduction?

Thanks for the response.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been so damn busy with work that I have not had anytime to work on my bus lately.

However, I am going to try and tackle a bit of the front floor this weekend.
I picked up the Black and Decker Bullet Bits, suggested for the spot welds. Any other pointers? From what I have read it is a big job. If I get some of it done this weekend I will be happy.

Then, it will have to sit for a few weeks, as I will be taking 36, 8th graders from CA. to Washington D.C. Williamsburg, and Monticello for an annual school trip.........It is always a good trip, worth the extra load on top of a normal teacher's work load.

Then, I will work on it periodically until summer rolls around and then I will try and pick up the pace a bit.........I wish I could just work on it everyday for the next year.

Spitty
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: