Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remote Starting
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Remote Starting Reply with quote

I admit it, I'm lazy. I hate getting up off my stool to start and stop the engine when I'm doing tune-ups. So here's a couple of things I did to support my laziness:

1. I made a cut off switch. It's simple. I put a switch in a Radio Shack project box, and attached two wires; one with a male spade terminal and one with a female. I disconnect the hot wire from the coil and run it through the box. I now have a cut off/on switch.

2. I got a double spade adapter (like you find in the wiring at the fuse block behind the dash) and attached an extra wire to the starter solenoid actuator connection. I then ran that extra wire into the engine compartment. With my Craftsman remote starter switch clipped in between this wire and the hot wire on the alternator I can run the starter from the back.

I just start by turning the ignition switch on, then turn the cut off switch on, and start her up. When I need to shut down, switch the cut off switch.

Only other thing I need to do is rig up some way to deflect the exhaust from the pea shooters so I don't burn my belly.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did something similar but added gauges and such in a cigar box:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604355

It's not lazy it's darn useful. I also use it for bench starting motors outside of the car. I like your idea of redirecting the exhaust too, I haven't done that yet. I'm even considering adding a regulator into the mix to hook up the alternator or generator so i can test regulated output outside of the car, but that is probably way over complicating things Smile

I had a guy tell me this weekend that a friend of his with a bus had simply installed a starter button in the engine bay, which sounds like a great idea especially if your deck lid locks. But I like having it separate for bench starting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe the orginal owners manual says to start up the bug and drive it away. Do not let it idle in the driveway.

"It’s better to give than to receive. Especially advice." -Mark Twain
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volkswagen_bug wrote:
I do believe the orginal owners manual says to start up the bug and drive it away. Do not let it idle in the driveway.

This was not designed for warming up the engine, just for when I'm tuning the engine.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: