Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

First off, I know what the results of my posts will be. I don't care. Perhaps the photos will help someone. I really don't need any help for a certain member here and I will be polite and not name names, you know who you are.

I have a 311 905 205AH I rebuilt in my car . All it needed were the fiber washers . got those in 09 from Glenn.

I also have a AF and AG both have the same numbers different last letters.

I have enough fiber shaft washers and new metal shims to do both yet the drive dog on the AF is beat. I only need one just as a spare. I have new felt between the bushings and for the upper shaft and new O'rings for the seal.

The only thing I can't get are the 2 red fiber washers that sit under the advance weights. Both were missing one and one of those fell apart.

I have other posts in 2009 when I rebuilt the AH and those red fibers were like new. The one I have does have the small bumps to allow less friction.

All I can find that is the proper OD and ID and thickness is a box of red fiber washers on Amazon . Now idea what temp they handle

I now know why when I had the AF in my car why is began to ping out of the blue . it has too much axial play , the fiber shaft washers were all shot and the weight only had one fiber washer. The AF and AG have never been apart and on both there is a bit of wear on the weights where they meet the advance cam . All 4 are the same weight and shape so I can either polish that out or use the best 2 .

point of all this is I thought of making 2 washers either out of copper and brass not aluminum. Then I saw these.

All I can do is test to see if oil affects them and how much heat they can handle . Basically using the best dist housing and weights and advance plate and advance cam. Both have no bushing or shaft wear.

I already have the advance plate from the AF cleaned and lubed it was the original in the AH yet I couldn't use it because when I had pertronix that plate has the braided ground sitting flat right where the pert fit . Now I went back to points . The other difference in the original AH plate is the steel spring deal that holds the ball does not screw on , it slides on the edge of the plate and engages a nub to lock it in place the AG screws on like the AF or rather the original for the AH plate . I guess later on in 73 VW did things a bit cheaper. I have not taken photos of the advance and weights removed. I did make a tool that makes it easy to pop the upper shaft clip off , takes a second to do this .

Here are some photos the AG has the felt puck in the upper advance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The AF in this PIC is on the left

I had to correct one thing I kept saying AJ when in fact it is an AF. Wondered why AJ was always highlighted in red.

Last edited by blues90 on Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Reply with quote

I used this to pop off the C clip on the advance shaft.

It's for pulling wheels off HO locomotives . I just made the c shaped opening a bit larger so it fits right under the points cam . One turn with a hex key and it pops right off.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

Wow!

Did you make that? I have one similar but not quite as well finished that I had to make to work on my HO scale loco's for pulling wheels and worm gears.

Nice hack!
I use kind of a tubular punch made from an old 1/4" drive socket to re-install the C-ring. I use a punch with a nylon bushing around it with a mallet to drive the shaft out.

I caught the reference. Laughing Wink

I dont really care fi you want my input or not. Free country! Very Happy

If you need a drive dog just ask. I will drop one in the mail. I have spares.

The drive dog part # from "most" type 4 distributors is 111 905 247. It fits 7 out of the 10 distributors listed for type 4 except. The last three listed for M27 (cali emissions) M553 (us spec but late engine with exhaust emissions- probably cali) and M157 (also cali).

You might ask Glenn what the PN for your drive dog is. I have maybe two actual type 3 D-jet distributors. I will look to see if the "clocking" of the drive pin hole is different.

You can get metric phenolic washers at McMaster carr. The M3 washers range from about 0.016" to 0.024" thick with an ID pf 3.2mm and an )D of 6.8mm. They also have M3.5 and M4. I will have to measure a pin from the weights and see what it is.

Did not copy the page number but if you search on Mcmaster for "garrolite washers" it takes you to this page. If the metric ones do not fit exactly, check the SAE ones above it.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

No I didn't make the puller . Last time in 2009 when I rebuilt my AH dist I used a small needle nose to spreed the C clip enough to get it off . This time I knew I had this NWSL HO wheel puller all i had to do was open up the C shaped cutout out it was 1/2 " so I opened it up to 9/16". I made it so it would just grab the lower end of the point cam and then since there is not much room between the ram I needed to leave the inner nut so it just meets the end of the rams threaded section so I could get dist advance end to fit then once in place I could bring that into the nut which fits right in then once turn with a hex key the C clip is off and is also trapped from flying away.

This is it.
https://www.walthers.com/the-puller?utm_term=&...GNEALw_wcB

Mine is old it only came with the larger tip ram screw .

I have two Distributors an AF off the 72 and an AG I got from a fellow for $40 I wanted the vacuum can .

The dog is perfect on the AG the AG is for a 73 FI manual trans mine is an auto yet the curves are very close and it's just a spare in case deal. The point cam on the AG is smooth the AF is worn with grooves on the high point. I don't know why the dogs would be different for Cali cars. All I do know is the AF
F and AG are both the same . The AF has tear marks on both ears telling me at some point not in my car it jumped out of the drive notches. I won't use that one . I do know the AH dog is a calif dist and as far as I know the AF and AG are as well. I admit I do not understand why Calif dogs would be clocked different in relation to the pin. My guess is for emissions plus if they are then is since the trigger cam locks onto a spine and the one weight pin fits in the cams one notch than they didn't change that just the dog . I'll have to compare the two AF and AG cams to see if the cam position is the same and compare the dogs again . I assumed they were the same I need to be sure. Edit I just checked both dogs and the pin on both is 90 degrees to the two ears. As
also looked at the trigger cam clocking on the shaft and both are the same.

I took photos will post later.

Thank you for the offer Ray.

I'm just trying to make one good out of two but so far the AG is in better shape . Both need the red fiber washers under the weights yet I got a set in a box off amazon an assortment yet it does have a pile of 9mmODx7mmIDx1mm thick . They are not with the dimples for less friction and are not all 1mm thick my old one that was still alive was .043" =1.09mm yet they do not burn in high heat and hold up to oil and grease. They will work. The only issue is the weight pins have a bit of wear since seen in the photos there is rust. The bushings and shafts are great shape. I did see some grooves warn in the weights where the advance cam arms meet so I polished those out different grades wet dry then polish on a fine stone also polished the advance cam edges that meet the weights. I didn't change the profile since the weights are not curved on that area. The groove was not deep maybe .002" but enough to cause issues.

I have two advance plates one was original to the 73AH that one I cleaned before yet the spring steel clip snaps on the edge of the plate and is held by a small nub the AG has the screw type and is not warn so I'll use that one.

I do have 4 of the larger OD fiber washers got then from Glenn Ring in 2019 plus 6 thicknesses on steel large shims and 4 2 from each dist steel shims that fit in the trigger cam so I use one to mark out the OD on one large fiber washer and file it to fit in the trigger cam and that worked on the AH.

The only part I don't like is the wear on the weight pins . It's not real bad the weight holes have no wear . I feel with the new red shims under the weights the wear is low on the pins so they way be fine.

Back in 2009 when this ping using the AF came about now I see why once I took it apart . All the fiber was dust and a missing weight washer and the rust and not a trace of lube except the advance shaft to main shaft and lower shaft . I got new felt for the wick in the lower shaft recess and new puck felt for the advance . Bought a cheap set of punches from auto zone one tapered 1/8" and one 1/8" pin punch . the AF was difficult even after 24 hours of penetrating oil the AG was easy to drive out. I still need to clean the springs and screws and cap clips them dry fit the fiber and shims in the trigger cam to make certain the cam clears the trigger plate then see what shims I need to set the axial play . both only had a fiber washer above the drive dog should be at least one steel shim I hope I can get 1 steel and the fiber than another steel or at least one fiber at the body and one steel before the dog.

I read as well as can see many use grease on the upper steel and fiber in the trigger cam because oil never gets up there . I oiled the AH there. Which once oiled stays there. Once I get this one done I can pull the AH and see what needs to be addressed . Since I rebuilt it there are not many miles on it less than 2000.

I did install a working can on the AH and set the timing @ 5 BTDC yet once warmed up it pinged. Either it's the flat top pistons I used when I rebuilt the engine in 97 higher compression or the crappy gas. I did notice the pickup was better with the vacuum advance yet it's good without it. Not sure what I'll do about this . For some reason before I removed the pertronix as well as after I went back to points it ran stronger @ 3 BTDC . I also realize if one retards the timing it changes the injection timing all could do was move the trigger points as far CCW as the slop in the trigger point mount holes allow and that worked to compensate. I use the 89 octane over priced gas here to help some. All I can do if I want the vacuum advance is drive it till hot then if it pings back if off till is does not and see what the timing at idle lands. My thought is it's the gas who knows what the ethanol content is , the pumps state no less that 10% well it could be 15 or 20%.

Last edited by blues90 on Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

Hello I have for sale in the classifieds here it is let me know.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2360773

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

photos . drive dogs

the one on the right is the AF see the tangs. Also the pin to tang is the same.

AG cleaned up the pin wear.

AG

AG polished weight contact edge

AG point cam

AF wear in weight I polished out on AG

AF point cam

Basically the same weight pin on both units have the same wear even though I have not cleaned the AF what to expect when there was no fiber washer let alone most of all no lube.

Over all the AG is in better shape . If I use the AF shaft and AG advance for the better point cam it may be a bit better. I need to clean the AF shaft to know. I have to use the AG advance section because if I don't then the arms retaining the advance springs will alter the curve . Even if I could measure their position the cam is garbage.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

The dogs are all the same on VW's. Just find a VW distributor and pull it off.
Repair pins are here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2554377

If the shaft is worn it will wear the points down quickly. If you have pertronix this will not matter.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
The dogs are all the same on VW's. Just find a VW distributor and pull it off.
Repair pins are here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2554377

If the shaft is worn it will wear the points down quickly. If you have pertronix this will not matter.

The one dog I have is fine and the one points cam is smooth. On the pins as you know on the fuel injected dist one pin is a bit longer because it fits into the trigger point cam. Unless the new pins are both long and one gets ground down , if not then one pin sits up higher which may not matter.
o room or it has to be pulled out. Or the cam itself needs to be removed then set exactly in the same position . I know it's held by a spline to the shaft. That I don't want to try to remove.
I don't know how the pin in the trigger cam can be driven out, there is n

I don't ever want to go back to pertronix. Down the road I will get another condenser not the made in China junk.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
On the pins as you know on the fuel injected dist one pin is a bit longer because it fits into the trigger point cam. Unless the new pins are both long and one gets ground down , if not then one pin sits up higher which may not matter.

My pins are the shorter ones. That long one is 1mm longer. There are other ways to repair them but none of them are as good as replacing the pin. You will just have to buy more cores in order to get them.

The issue with the top of your shaft is that it could be causing the pinging. if the lobes are not worn even.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
blues90 wrote:
On the pins as you know on the fuel injected dist one pin is a bit longer because it fits into the trigger point cam. Unless the new pins are both long and one gets ground down , if not then one pin sits up higher which may not matter.

My pins are the shorter ones. That long one is 1mm longer. There are other ways to repair them but none of them are as good as replacing the pin. You will just have to buy more cores in order to get them.

The issue with the top of your shaft is that it could be causing the pinging. if the lobes are not worn even.

This is a long story, just history and what I learned on my 73 through the decades. Other cars and trucks I had through my life you cold buy brand new distributors. In my Fords with 302 V8's I always used New Ford dual point fully centrifugal.

The pinging never happened with the AH dist since it was not worn , I saw this when I rebuilt it, just needed new fiber washers and cleaning and new lube. At that time I was still running the original X 1600 even with a working vacuum can. Then I rebuilt a 72 1600 I had in 1997 and used flat top pistons and had the heads slightly fly cut just to clean up the surface . The machine shop who did the work gave me copper shims and told me I could use them or not because the CR would be higher , I didn't use them.

Point is I didn't know the vacuum can was history even though at the time I was able to buy a brand new one from a small VW shop near me and it was less than $30. It was not until I rebuilt the AH I took apart the advance plate to clean and check and lube and it felt stiff so killed the vacuum can.
I was running the AH for a long time and then it began to ping I rebuilt the AH in 2009 and installed it yet just used the can to hold the advance plate from moving on it's own. Well once I took apart the AF I could see why.

My only guess is the pinging using a vacuum can that works is because of the higher compression which was not the case before ethanol was added to the gas. Now even with the can advance line plugged off if I time it @ 5 BTDC it pings even with a rebuilt dist. I had to back it off to 3 BTDC. As I said this is only my guess using common sense and what I found through the years working on this car. UP to 1997 we could still get leaded gas here then it became unleaded and it didn't ping ,once ethanol was added it was around 3.5% then it didn't ping , once it reached 10% when ever this was it pinged unless I backed off from 5 BTDC.

It did have much better pickup with the can connected now I suspect if I connect the can in order to avoid pinging I need to back off the timing more. The reason I say this is the AH does not have that many miles on it to stretch the advance spring enough to cause pinging when it didn't before the gas was ruined.

I suspect yet don't know for certain even if the AH was set up on a machine to the proper spec , yes the springs would most likely need to have more tension which would allow for the centrifugal advance to come in later, however when the vacuum is at it's max light throttle or steady highway speeds the can is advancing the most that's when mine pinged can in play and it only did so once the engine was at operating temp. When I first started it and drove a few miles it didn't ping. If I include the fuel to air ratio into the mix the FI system runs richer cold than hot. I know it's not running too rich and when hot the engine temp is not high indicating a lean condition. Of course without actually having the car set up on a machine to offer real numbers I have no way of knowing.

The only time the engine temp was hot was an hour in 100 degree F in bumper to bumper traffic took over an hour to drive 5 miles and add in all the heat from the other cars and blacktop who knows , all I know is the oil light was on and the added VDO pressure gauge was @ 5PSI. If I put it in neutral the RPM was 1000 so the light would go out.

I thought of different ways to deal with the pins, a hard sleeve which would require opening up the weight holes don't like that idea.

The 2 points cams, one is really worn and grooved the other is not . Only a dial indicator would tell me if any are high of low compared , I use a set of points and check each lobe as one would adjusting points which is fair and I do this when I install points . I can tell neither has ever been taken part so no one polished the cam. Cam wear I have seen always shows up as grooves the width of the points rubbing block because of not lubing the cam or grit that got in the cam grease.

I can see how having grooves in the cam can add another issue , if there is no anti chatter spring in the drive and too much axial play even with the spring over time through shim wear the shaft moves up now the rubbing block sits partly on grooves and a good area.

The good news is there is no play in the shaft or bushings and no play is the advance bore or the upper dist shaft. This was the only area of both distributors that was well lubed.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

I think can help you out with the vacuum canister. It looks like you can use 265 vacuum canister. Stock was the 505. If you can use the 265 one let me know. Give me a call if you prefer like last time.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
I think can help you out with the vacuum canister. It looks like you can use 265 vacuum canister. Stock was the 505. If you can use the 265 one let me know. Give me a call if you prefer like last time.

Whats the difference between the 505 and 265 does one offer less advance?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:

Whats the difference between the 505 and 265 does one offer less advance?

They are close enough you wouldn't notice.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

I looked at the curves in the Bentley . It seems the 265 comes in earlier and peaks @ 2000 rpm and ends @ 2500 also @ 100 Hg and ends @ 200 Hg/

The 505 @ 1800 rpm is 100 Hg 2000 @ 100 Hg 3000 @150 Hg and peaks @ 3400 and ends @ 5000 yet from 3400 rpm to 5000 it stays the same. So at less vacuum the 265 starts . Yet vacuum is related to RPM and load. It does appear the 265 would lessen the vacuum advance curve. As I see it.

The charts show engine RPM so dist speed is double, If I recall.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:

I have 2 505 they work. With the unit in hand if I work the arm in and out there is movement which may be just flex in the diaphragm. The new ones I had I never checked so I don't know if this is normal. They hold vacuum so for now instead of $160 which I don't have they will have to do. I'm not moving the arm hard just to feel the flex or free play. I think I should feel a little movement just not as much.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

I don't understand how the 2 advance springs work. I know the thin wound is the primary yet the heavy spring doesn't seem to have tension on it.

Do they work together? " don't have anything to spin it fast just 1/2" drills yet the shaft is not long enough. I know when you turn the cam and it springs back that is just the light spring.

There is nothing on the internet I can find.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

The weights pull on the springs which provide tension.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
The weights pull on the springs which provide tension.

I understand that it's the weights. The reason I asked is if I move the primary weight out the until it reached the end the secondary or heavy spring weight is also moved all the why out. This is not to say moving the weights by hand is anything like centrifugal force. Plus both weights had the same wear marks on the flat edge where the advance cam contacts then , meaning they must have been working.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

In the photo above you see the weight pivot pins , then the upper shaft . Where the upper shaft meets the weight plate the shaft is larger in diameter.

There was a thin plastic ring that fit over that , it was about 3/32" tall and a wall thickness of 1/32" and it sat flush with the top of that upper shaft boss.

What is it? My only guess since it only meets the weights it acts as a stop or spacer that the weights rest on when they are fully at rest.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: