Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't decide on a colour...PG/SG or Mango
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Can't decide on a colour...PG/SG or Mango Reply with quote

I am fairly new to the Samba site, but it does not take long to notice the strong opinionated presences of a couple of groups. Both are loud and proud of their side and while they can see other peoples views they do see them as wrong. Nothing wrong with that at all. These groups would be the PG/SG crowd and the Mango bunch.
Now I love both looks, and i would have a tough time choosing between them....so, I thought why choose?

How about a Mango over Sand Green Bus?

Any thoughts? Does anyone have enough photoshop skills to put that together? Or is this like the Brits and the French...need to keep them at opposite ends of the Country ( or car show, in this case)?

Gordo.
Sancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me: pressed bumper => PGSG
later busses => mango
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint it whatever colour it was stock Wink

My build thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742279
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SingleWheel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not go to busselecta.com, play around for a while with whatever hideous color combinations you want, and eventually come to the realization that the color on your Mcode plate is the color your bus should be. Then you can join that opinionated group. Very Happy Just my two cents.
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^LOL, that is some funny scheit right there.... Laughing

Have to agree tho....if you mix and match those colors it would be....just wierd
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472827&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinions on mixing the combinations of stock colours will get the expected response, as you allude to in your first post.
It is your bus. If you think that they would be a neat combo, check the match to be sure they don't clash and pull the trigger. Whether you use the VW palette, the Ferrari palette, or specially mix it for your own colour choice, make sure you are happy with it.
If you plan on selling it in the near future, you may consider a stock combo for the year. That is, if you want the stock paint crowd to be top of the list of buyers.

Looking forward to further progress on this thread.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I always find it odd when a bus is painted in a color scheme outside its era. Fried egg busses just never look right when painted bullet colors. I'm sure this is mostly an ingrained sense of what looks 'right', but that's how i always see them.

And mango over sand green sounds really odd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^ X 2 ^^^^^
vwboop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't decide on a colour...PG/SG or Mango Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
I am fairly new to the Samba site, but it does not take long to notice the strong opinionated presences of a couple of groups. Both are loud and proud of their side and while they can see other peoples views they do see them as wrong. Nothing wrong with that at all. These groups would be the PG/SG crowd and the Mango bunch.
Now I love both looks, and i would have a tough time choosing between them....so, I thought why choose?

How about a Mango over Sand Green Bus?

Any thoughts? Does anyone have enough photoshop skills to put that together? Or is this like the Brits and the French...need to keep them at opposite ends of the Country ( or car show, in this case)?

Gordo.

Hey Gordo,
Nice to see you on the Samba and working on a bus project! IMO I think the longer you are into these busses the more you start to appreciate stock. I like to think of the m-code info as a busses DNA and for me the challenge is to find an authentic bus that posesses what I desire most. Personally I don't mind what other people do with their busses unless they are rare enough to hold some kind of history that should be preserved, and it's also a shame to see nice OG paint busses redone. I'd say if you plan on keeping it have fun with it, build it for you, and keep sharing your progress with us on here.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I am just stirring the pot. I enjoy seeing the responses from people when asked an opinion about something that they feel strongly about. Actually this site has the most polite member of any of the other forums, and thank you for that.
I really do like the look of the pg/sg busses, but there are only a few of us in town with splits and one of them already is pg/sg ish. I feel the need to stand out more than that.
After driving it for years with white over mint green, I also feel the need to stray away from the cute colors. The OG paint is very cool but not an option for me as the bodywork has been done once before (badly) and OG paint is nearly nowhere to be found.
I really like the look of the busses with Black on top and I think that is what I will do. The bottom color is where I am really stuck. Like the look of the Mexico beige or perhaps the earlier stone grey. I want a color that still looks period correct but fresh, not just what my tag says it should be. Because if I was to have bought this new, I wouldn't have chose the colors on the tag.
thanks for the input so far people.

Gordo.
61TXghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the color I am, Mexico Beige!! LOL
Camping is cheaper than therapy.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like black on top, there is a bus in the gallery somewhere that is black over something very similar to stone grey/beige, and it looks great on a bus. I'll see if I can dig up the pic.
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity what is the og paint for your bus?
025 Safety belts
195 Adjustable bench seat/backrest (until 1963)
dawerks wrote:
Perfection only comes with delusion.

http://www.oacdp.org/
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His original is Titian red under Beige grey. He mentioned it in his build thread, and, is not a fan. It wouldn't be my first choice either....

Red Bus Razz
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pg-sg it is!!! No joke,put it back to original.Follow the law of restoration. Very Happy
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I buy an M-code plate that is for a '67 standard seven seater in PG/SG with Platinum/platinum mesh interior then?
Scooterboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

59 - Convertible Raceable Baja Bug
63 - Dune Buggy
65 - Single Cab
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
Can I buy an M-code plate that is for a '67 standard seven seater in PG/SG with Platinum/platinum mesh interior then?

I would definitely suggest not doing that.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the color the bus was painted at the factory but it is your bus so do what makes you happy, never think of resale Wink

But that is a nice looking bus combo thanks Scooterboyd.

Scooterboyd wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Color is funny thing and everyone has their own opinion.

To me its a matter of taste, some people have it, some don't. Nice is nice even a die hard OG guy will appreciate a nicely done bus. Even if its not his cup of tea. The above posted white/green bus is very nice and tastefully done. That exact same bus painted pink/yellow would be gross.

The style of the bus has to match too. If you decide to go a custom color, the bus should be lowered, probably wheels etc. Non stock colors on a stock bus look funny. Same applies to other cars as well. A classic 57 Chevy conv painted pearl orange yet appears stock is alot different than a pearl orange 57 with 20 inch wheels, slammed to the ground.

With regards to buses I agree that late colors on late buses or early on early. Color is a way to distinguish different years of VWs. Welding bullet lenses on a fat hatch bus is....kinda yucky Very Happy

Like others have said, its is your bus. Paint it the way you want, you can always buy another and have 1 OG and 1 not. The hobby is about owing, enjoying and most importantly...driving. Whether it's a POS or big dollar bus, or painted pink/yellow Very Happy .....it doesn't matter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: